1. India Ranked 10th in Commonwealth Innovation Index 2018-
- As per the 2018 Commonwealth Innovation Index, India fetched 10th position out of 53 Countries in the index topped by the United Kingdom, Singapore and Canada. The index was launched on the sidelines of the ongoing Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) as part of a new Commonwealth Innovation Hub.
2. NASA launched its newest planet-hunting spacecraft, Transit Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) from Cape Canaveral in Florida-
- NASA has launched its newest planet-hunting spacecraft, Transit Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) from Cape Canaveral in Florida on a mission to find thousands of new worlds beyond our Solar System.
3. India, World’s 6th Largest Economy at $2.6 trillion: IMF-
- India’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP), the worth of the economy, reached to $2.6 trillion for 2017, according to the database of the International Monetary Fund’s World Economic Outlook (WEO) for April 2018.
- India is now the world’s sixth largest economy, displacing France. The Top 3 economies of the world are The United States, China and Japan.
4. India Forms Committee to Reform Higher Defence Planning-
- In an effort to improve higher defence management, the government has constituted a new committee headed by the National Security Advisor.
- The committee will develop a capability development plan, work on defence diplomacy issues and improving defence manufacturing in India.
5. Madhya Pradesh grabbed Most Film Friendly Award-
- The Most Film Friendly State Award was announced by the Chairman of the Jury, Shri Ramesh Sippy. Madhya Pradesh conferred the award for the Most Film Friendly State for its efforts towards easing filming in the State by creating a well-structured website and film-friendly infrastructure. Total 16 states have participated in this award.
6. NABARD Approves Rs 14,690 cr Funding to Rajasthan for FY 2018-19-
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has extended total credit support of Rs 14,690 crore to Rajasthan. The state has been one of the biggest beneficiaries under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) of NABARD, under which NABARD disbursed concessional loan of Rs 1,851.29 crore to the state government during FY 2017-18.
7. Karan Johar to be the 1st Indian filmmaker in Madame Tussauds collection-
- Karan Johar is all set to be the first-ever Bollywood filmmaker to get a place at the famous Madame Tussauds. The process has begun in London and it will take about six months for the wax figurine to be ready.
8. UP Govt Orders Govt Hospitals and Orphanages to Establish ‘SHISHU SWAGAT KENDRA- PALNA’-
- Uttar Pradesh Government has ordered all government hospitals and orphanages to establish ‘SHISHU SWAGAT KENDRA- PALNA’ and put up cradles in front of their buildings so that parents can give up unwanted babies safely. This will help in tackling the problem of abandoning the infant at the roadside.
9. According to World Bank India has second largest unbanked population-
- The Global Findex Report released on Thursday by World Bank, about 190 million Indian adults still don’t have a bank account, second only to China despite the account ownership more than doubling from 35 per cent in 2011 to 80 per cent in 2017.
10. India topped in growth rate among BRICS nations: KPMG Report
- India has been recording the highest growth rate of 7.4% amongst the Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) economies, as per report of KPMG titled “India Soars Higher”.
11. India and United Kingdom Sign 10 MoUs in Several Sectors-
- India and the UK have signed 10 agreements in several sectors including cyber-relationship, rejuvenation of Ganga and skill development.
- The two countries also inked the deal on cooperation in the field of Animal Husbandry, Dairying and Fisheries Sectors seeking to strengthen collaboration in livestock health and husbandry, breeding, dairying and fisheries.
12. Chhattisgarh to Distribute Free Smartphone to Over 50 Lakh People-
Chhattisgarh government will start distributing smartphones to over 50 lakh people for free under the Sanchar Kranti Yojana (SKY) with the help of Chhattisgarh Infotech Promotion Society (CHiPS). The women heads of households will be the priority recipients of the smartphones.