1. Pulitzer Prizes 2018 Announced-
The Pulitzer Prizes for 2018 has been announced in the USA. The list of winners is as-
- Fiction- Andrew Sean Greer’s “Less” has won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Greer’s novel tells the comic story of a middle-aged novelist.
- Drama- Cost of Living, by Martyna Majok.
- History- The Gulf: The Making of an American Sea, by Jack E. Davis (Liveright/W.W. Norton).
- Biography- Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder, by Caroline Fraser (Metropolitan Books).
- Poetry- Half-light: Collected Poems 1965-2016, by Frank Bidart (Farrar, Straus and Giroux).
- And the list of 2018 Pulitzer Prize winners for journalism-
- Public service: jointly awarded to The New York Times, and The New Yorker.
- Breaking news reporting: staff of The Press Democrat.
- Investigative reporting: staff of The Washington Post
- Explanatory reporting: jointly awarded to the staffs of The Arizona Republic and USA Today network
- Local reporting: staff of The Cincinnati Enquirer
- National reporting: jointly awarded to the staffs of The New York Times and The Washington Post
- International reporting: Clare Baldwin, Andrew R.C. Marshall, and Manuel Mogato of Reuters
- Feature writing: Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah, freelancing for GQ
- Commentary: John Archibald, of the Alabama Media Group
- Criticism: Jerry Saltz of New York magazine
- Editorial writing: Andie Dominick of The Des Moines Register
- Editorial cartooning: Jake Helpern and Michael Sloan, freelancing for The New York Times
- Breaking news photography: Ryan Kelly of The Daily Progress
- Feature photography: photography staff of Reuters
2. India ranks 10th on new Commonwealth innovation index-
- India has ranked 10th on a new Commonwealth Innovation Index, topped by the UK, Singapore and Canada.
- The index was launched as part of a new Commonwealth Innovation Hub on the sidelines of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London.
3. India Signs Loan Agreement with World Bank for USD 48 million-
- A Loan Agreement for IBRD loan of USD 48 million for the “Meghalaya Community - Led Landscapes Management Project (MCLLMP)” was signed with the World Bank.
- The main objective of the Project is to strengthen community-led landscapes management in selected landscapes in the State of Meghalaya.
4. World Bank forecasts 7.3 pc growth for India this year-
- The World Bank has forecasted a growth rate of 7.3 per cent for India this year and 7.5 per cent for 2019 and 2020.
- It has also noted by world bank that the country's economy has recovered from the effects of demonetisation and the Goods and Services Tax.
5. Bandhan Bank became Top 50 Most Valuable Brand in India-
- Bandhan Bank Ltd became one of the top 50 most valuable publicly trading firms in India. The market capitalization of Bandhan Bank was at Rs64,000 crore, claiming 50th rank, according to BSE data.
6. Veteran journalist S Nihal Singh died at the age of 88-
- Veteran journalist S Nihal Singh breathed his last at the National Heart Institute following illness at the age of 88.
- He was the founding editor of The Indian Post and also awarded the prestigious International Editor of the Year Award in New York for opposing the Emergency imposed by former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
7. Government Revises Target to Complete PMGSY from Year 2022 to 2019-
- The Union Government has stated that the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana(PMGSY) is on its way to achieving the target by March 2019.
- Sensing the importance and urgency of rural roads for national development, the target date for completion of PMGSY-I has been preponed from 2022 to march 2019.
8. East Godavari, first district with complete LED street lighting-
- East Godavari district of Andhra Pradesh is all set to become the country’s first ‘LED street light district’ with of around 3.1 lakh LED street lights. The program is expected to save around 34 Million Units (MU) annually.
- Andhra Pradesh also the best State in implementation of energy efficiency and conservation programmes initiated by the World Bank.
9. Lieutenant General P.P Malhotra Takes Over as Director-General of National Cadet Corps (NCC)-
- Lieutenant General PP Malhotra assumed charge of Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC), the largest uniformed youth organization in the world.
- ii. Prior to assuming his appointment, he was the Chief Engineer of the Army’s premier Northern Command.
10. Bhuj Mercantile Coop Bank bags Banco Award for best performing cooperative bank -
- Kutch, Gujrat based Bhuj Mercantile Cooperative Bank has bagged the prestigious Banco Award for best performing cooperative bank. The bank was adjudged best among the 1500 cooperative banks from across the country.
- This Award is given annually to the top performing cooperative banks recognise and encourage best practices in the cooperative banking sector.