Current Affairs of 26 October 2018 are as follows:-
1.Punjab Signs MoUs With Israel For Agri Research, Water Management:-
- The Punjab government has signed four MoUs with Israeli institutions to address issues of farmers and depleting groundwater level in the state.
- The MoUs were signed in the presence of Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh. The MoUs will help boost cooperation between Punjab and Israel in areas such as water conservation as well as agricultural research and education.
2. PM Modi Inaugurated Krishi Kumbha in Lucknow:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a farmers’ conclave ‘Krishi Kumbh 2018’ in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh via video conferencing. The three-day ‘Krishi Kumbh’ is being organized to promote modern technique and diversification in agriculture that could help in doubling farmers income.
- The Kumbh witnessed two of the world’s top economies, Israel and Japan, as official partners while Haryana and Jharkhand as partner states.
3.India, Bangladesh Sign Agreements For Enhancing Inland And Coastal Waterways Connectivity:-
- India and Bangladesh signed several agreements for enhancing inland and coastal waterways connectivity between the two countries for trade and cruise movements. The two countries have signed an agreement to use Chattogram and Mongla Ports in Bangladesh for movement of goods to and from India.
- An addendum to ‘Protocol on Inland Water Transit and Trade between the two countries' has also been signed for the inclusion of Dhubri in India and Pangaon in Bangladesh as the new Ports.
4.NATO’s Biggest Military Maneuvers Begins in Norway:-
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization's (NATO) biggest military manoeuvres since the Cold War began in Norway. Russia, which shares a border with Norway, was briefed by NATO on the Trident Juncture 2018 drill and invited to monitor it, but Moscow is still angered by the exercise.
- The wargames bring together around 50,000 personnel from all 29 NATO allies, plus partners Finland and Sweden.
5. Russia Successfully Launched 1st Soyuz Rocket Since Failed Space Launch:-
- Russia has successfully launched a Soyuz-2.1B rocket for the first time since the failure of a similar rocket aborted a manned take-off to the International Space Station (ISS).
- According to Russia’s space agency chief Dmitry Rogozin, this was the first launch of a rocket from the Soyuz family since the October 11 accident.
6. 2nd International Conference On Primary Health Care Held in Kazakhstan:-
- JP Nadda, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare addressed the ‘Second Plenary Session of ‘2nd International Conference on Primary Health Care (PHC) towards UHC & SDGs’, at Astana, Kazakhstan.
- The conference aims to renew the commitment to primary health care to achieve universal health coverage and the Sustainable Development Goals. Mr Nadda spoke on the theme “The Future of Primary Health Care”.
7. Ethiopia Appoints Sahle-Work Zewde As 1st Female President:-
- Ethiopia appointed diplomat Sahle-Work Zewde as its first-ever female President. The position of the President is largely ceremonial in the nation.
- Zewde was appointed by the Ethiopian lawmakers through a unanimous vote. She would be replacing Mulatu Teshome Wirtu. Prior to her appointment, she was serving as the UN's top official at the African Union.
8. India Has Most Outward Migrants In 2017: ADB Report:-
- Most of the international migrants in 2017 were from India, followed by China and Bangladesh, according to an Asian Development Bank (ADB) report titled 'Asian Economic Integration Report 2018'.
- As per the report, as many as one-third of international migrants were from Asia in 2017. India had the most outward migrants in 2017 (17 million), followed by China (10 million) and Bangladesh (7.5 million).
9.India To Become World's 3rd Largest Aviation Market Around 2024: IATA:-
- India will become the world's third largest aviation market around 2024 surpassing the UK, according to global airlines' body International Air Transport Association (IATA). It projected total air passenger numbers to touch 8.2 billion in 2037.
- Releasing the latest update to IATA's 20-year Air Passenger Forecast, the grouping also cautioned that growth prospects for air transport and the economic benefits driven by aviation could be curtailed if protectionist measures are implemented by governments.
- According to the IATA, China would displace the United States as the world's largest aviation market in the mid-2020s.
10. Reliance-Built Coast Guard Training Ship ICGS Varuna Launched:-
- ICGS Varuna, an indigenously-designed training vessel built by Reliance Naval and Engineering Limited for the Indian Coast Guard, was launched in Pipavav.
- The vessel was formally launched at a function held in the presence of Coast Guard Director General Rajendra Singh at the Pipavav Shipyard. Currently, the ICGS has a fleet of 138 vessels.