Current Affairs of 25 September 2018 are as follows:-
1.4th India International Science Festival to be inaugurated by President of India:-
- The fourth edition of India International Science Festival will be inaugurated by President of India in Lucknow on October 6, 2018.
- IISF-2018 is expected to be represented by approximately 10000 delegates including 5000 students, 550 teachers, 200 students from the North-East Region, 20 international delegates and approximately 200 startups.
- This time the 'Science Village' will also be organized at the festival.
2. Nepal to become the world's first country to double its tiger population:-
- Nepal is set to become the first country in the world to double its tiger population as part of the World Wildlife Foundation's (WWF) 'Tx2' programme which aims to double the number of tigers all over the world.
- The government of Nepal announced on September 23, 2018, on the occasion of National Conservation Day, that there are now an estimated 235 wild tigers in the nation, nearly double the number (235) from around 121 in 2009. The earlier tiger survey in 2013 had estimated the tiger population in the nation to be around 198.
3.21st meeting of Central Regional Council held under the chairmanship of Union Home Minister:-
- Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh has said that regional councils have an important role in resolving issues related to the public by increasing cooperation between the Center and the states.
- In the 21st meeting of the Central Regional Council in Lucknow, the Home Minister said that all regional councils have been made active in the last four years.
- He said that 11 meetings were held during the Regional Councils while 15 meetings of the Standing Committee were held.
- He said that a total of 680 cases were discussed, out of which 428 were resolved. These issues have been related to areas like infrastructure, medicine, education, agriculture, and security.
4. Google appoints Keith Enright as its Chief Privacy Officer:-
- Technology giant Google has appointed its privacy lawyer, Keith Enright, as Chief Privacy Officer as the company proposed policies for potential federal regulation of data. In his new role, Enright will be in charge of crafting Google's strategy on privacy issues. Before Google, Enright worked as the Chief Privacy Officer at Macy's and was also a senior consultant at IBM.
5. Arjun Ram Meghwal inaugurates the workshop on National e-Vidhan Application:-
- Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs, Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal presided over the Inaugural Session of the two-day National Orientation workshop on National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA), organized by Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs in New Delhi.
- On the occasion, Shri Meghwal also launched the new website of the Neva and administered the Swachhata Pledge to over 200 delegates, which included senior officers from Secretariats of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, 31 Legislative Assemblies and 7 Legislative Councils from across the country.
- The Orientation Workshop would include technical sessions and group discussions over 2 days, which would facilitate exposure for the delegates about the positive attributes of NeVA; deliberations on issues faced by different State Legislatures in the implementation of e-Vidhan and finding solutions thereof.
- The focus of the workshop would be to encourage all State Legislatures to move towards the e-Vidhan platform and bring in transparency, accountability, and responsiveness in their conduct of business, through the use of technology.
6.FDI in Telecom Sector Jumped Five Times In Three years:-
- FDI in the telecom sector has jumped nearly five times in the last three years – from USD 1.3 Billion in 2015-16 to USD 6.2 Billion in 2017-18. According to Union Minister of Communications Shri Manoj Sinha, the draft National Digital Communications Policy, 2018 aims to attract investment of USD 100 billion or about Rs.6.5 lakh crore in the Digital Communications Sector.
- India has also announced plans to launch commercial 5G networks by the year 2020 and this provides a big opportunity for investing in the newer emerging technologies like 5G, AI, IoT, Data analytics etc. Shri Sinha also released a publication titled “Telecom Sector Growth & FDI: A Way Ahead”.
7.Dr. Harsh Vardhan Inaugurated Air Pollution Control Device ''WAYU'' in Delhi:-
- Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest and Climate change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated air pollution control device WAYU(Wind Augmentation PurifYing Unit) for traffic junctions at ITO intersection and Mukarba Chowk in Delhi.
- WAYU is developed by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research – National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) as a part of Technology Development Project being funded by the Department of Science and Technology. This device can purify the air in an area of 500 square meters. 54 more such devices will be installed by 15th October in Delhi.
8. Government Recorded More Than Rs. 12,000 crore business on GeM:-
- The National Mission on Government e Marketplace (GeM), was launched by the Minister of Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu, on 5th of September 2018. This was followed by the launch of the Mission in 19 States and Union Territories. GeM has recorded till date more than 8 lakh transactions worth over a Rs.12,239 crore.
- The Government of India decided to launch a six week long National Mission on GeM from 6th Sept. to 17th Oct 2018 in order to increase awareness, accelerate the use of GeM and to further augment the proven benefits of procurement through GeM for all government departments and organizations.
9. Supreme Court Constitutes Committee To Look Into Jail Reforms:-
- The Supreme Court constituted a three-member committee headed by its former judge Justice Amitava Roy to look into the aspect of jail reforms across the country and suggest measures to deal with them. A bench headed by Justice M B Lokur said the panel will look into the issues including over-crowding in prisons.
- The Supreme court on August 27 had reserved its order on the issue of constituting a committee to deal with issues pertaining to jails and suggest reforms for prisons across the country. The committee will also look into the various issues concerning women prisoners.
10. Anil Kumar Chaudhary appointed as new SAIL chairman:-
- Anil Kumar Chaudhary has been appointed as the new chairman of the Steel Authority of India (SAIL).
- Chaudhary, at present, has been serving as the Director (Finance) in the country's largest steel making company.
- The post of SAIL chairman fell vacant on June 30 with the retirement of P K Singh.