Current Affairs of 23 October 2018 are as follows:-
1.India And Croatia Sign 2 Agreements:-
- India and Croatia signed two agreements to strengthen cultural and diplomatic cooperation between the two countries.
- The agreements were signed following External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj’s meeting with Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Croatia Marija Pejcinovic Burić in New Delhi.
2. India, China Signed Agreement On Security Cooperation:-
- The first India-China high-level meeting on bilateral security cooperation held in New Delhi recently. During the meeting, the two sides discussed issues of mutual interest including bilateral cooperation on counter-terrorism and welcomed increased cooperation between India and China in the area of security.
- An Agreement on security cooperation was also signed by Home Minister Rajnath Singh and State Councilor and Minister of Public Security of China, Zhao Kezhi.
3.Gwalior Hosts 4-Day International Dance Festival:-
- Uzbekistan Ambassador to India Farhod Arziev inaugurated a four-day international dance festival titled "Udbhav Utsav" in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- Dance troupes from Bulgaria, Turkey and Sri Lanka, apart from 25 teams from India, participated in the event.
4.27th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference Starts In Gandhinagar, Gujarat:-
- The 27th IAEA Fusion Energy Conference (FEC 2018) has started in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. The FEC 2018 aims to provide a forum for the discussion of key physics and technology issues as well as innovative concepts of direct relevance to the use of nuclear fusion as a source of energy.
- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) fosters the exchange of scientific and technical results in nuclear fusion research and development through its series of Fusion Energy Conferences.
5. World's Longest Sea-Crossing Bridge Opened in China:-
- China has opened the longest sea-crossing bridge ever built, nine years after construction began. The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge connects Hong Kong and Macau to the mainland Chinese city of Zhuhai. The $20-billion bridge spans 55 kilometres.
- The bridge, designed to withstand earthquakes and typhoons, has been built using 400,000 tonnes of steel, enough to build 60 Eiffel Towers.
6. Joint Military Exercise ‘Druzhba-III’ Starts Between Pakistan and Russia:-
- A contingent of the Russian Army arrived in Pakistan to participate in joint training exercise ‘Druzhba-III’.
- According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), this will be the third joint military drill between Islamabad and Moscow under the bilateral training cooperation agreement. Russia and Pakistan have been holding the “Friendship” drills since 2016.
7. Invest India wins UN Investment Promotion Award:-
- The ‘Invest India’ initiative of the Union Government won the top United Nations Investment Promotion Award in recognition of its efforts to boost investments in the renewable energy sector in India.
- The award was presented by Armenian President Armen Sarkissian to Deepak Bagla, the CEO of Invest India, in Geneva, Switzerland at the inauguration of the World Investment Forum organised by the UN Convention on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
8.TCS Only Indian Firm Among Top 10 To Get Foreign Labour Certification:-
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is the only Indian company among top 10 firms to get foreign labour certification for the H-1B visas for the fiscal year 2018, according to data from the US Department of Labour. The H-1B visas are the most sought-after among Indian IT professionals.
- London-headquartered Earnest and Young, a multinational professional services firm, has emerged as the top employer to have received the certification.
9. Paytm Launches ‘PayPay’ Mobile Wallet in Japan:-
- Paytm has launched a QR-based smartphone payment settlement service in Japan in collaboration with SoftBank and Yahoo Japan Corporation. it is a smartphone-based settlement service that allows users to store money from a bank account in their 'PayPay' wallet and make payments with it.
- Paytm stated that it is built around its QRtech which it has deployed in India to allow customers to make offline payments.
10. DANISA Denmark Open 2018: Complete List Of Winners:-
- The Denmark Open is an HSBC World Tour Super 750 tournament. Held since 1935 as an annual badminton tournament by Danmarks Badminton Forbund the tournament has been hosted in eleven different locations.
- Kento Momota of Japan won in the Men's Singles category and Tai Tzu-Ying of Chinese Taipei won in the women's singles category.
11.Environment Ministry Launches 'Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali' Campaign:-
- Environment Ministry has launched Harit Diwali, Swasth Diwali campaign. This campaign was initiated in 2017-18 wherein a large number of school children participated and took a pledge to minimize bursting of crackers.
- The Harit Diwali-Swasth Diwali campaign is now merged with “Green Good Deed” movement that has been initiated as a social mobilization for conservation and protection of the environment.
12. Praveen Kumar Retires From All Forms Of Cricket:-
- Former India fast bowler Praveen Kumar has retired from all forms of international cricket. Praveen last played for India in 2012 and represented India in 84 international matches.
- He made his ODI debut for India in 2007 against Pakistan, while his Test debut came four years later against West Indies in Jamaica.