Current Affairs of 20 September 2018 following:-
1.Vice President 3-Nation Visit: India, Romania Agree To Intensify Cooperation At UN:-
- India and Romania have agreed to intensify cooperation at the United Nations and other multilateral fora in order to address global challenges.
- It was issued in a statement after one to one talks between Vice President Venkaiah Naidu and President of Romania, Mr. Klaus Werner Lohannis in Bucharest.
2. Interest Rates On PPF, NSC, Other Small Savings Schemes Raised:-
- The government has raised interest rates on Small Savings Schemes (SSS), including National Savings Certificate (NSC) and Public Provident Fund (PPF) by up to 0.4% for the October-December quarter, in line with rising deposit rates in the banks.
- Interest rates for small savings schemes are notified on a quarterly basis.
3. ESIC Approves Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna For Cash Relief To Unemployed Insured Persons:-
- The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has approved a new scheme- Atal Bimit Vyakti Kalyan Yojna for Insured Persons covered under the Employees’ State Insurance Act.
- The decision was taken at the ESIC board meeting chaired by the Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar in New Delhi.
- The ESIC also approved the proposal for increasing the funeral expenses from existing 10 thousand rupees to 15 thousand rupees being paid on the death of Insured Person.
4. Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani Visits India: Important Highlights:-
- Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani was recently in India for visit. During a day-long visit, he reviewed and positively assessed the progress of the multi-faceted bilateral strategic partnership.
- Important Highlights of the Bilateral Meeting Held in New Delhi
1. Both leaders (Narendra Modi and Ashraf Ghani) expressed determination to strengthen connectivity, including through Chabahar port and Air-Freight Corridor.
2. Expressed satisfaction at the increase in bilateral trade that has crossed the one billion dollar mark.
3. Mr. Modi reiterated India’s support for an Afghan-led, Afghan-owned and Afghan-controlled peace and reconciliation process.
4. Mr. Modi also raised concern over abducted Indian nationals in Afghanistan with Mr. Ghani during their meeting.
5. The Afghan President has assured that efforts are being made to ensure the safe release of the Indian nationals.
5. India And Morocco Sign Air Services Agreement:-
- India and Morocco signed the revised Air Services Agreement between the two countries enabling greater connectivity through a modernized agreement.
- The two sides cleared the legal and technical difficulties and agreed to a modern new text for the Air Services Agreement. Thereafter, both sides took approval for the agreed text of the Air Services Agreement from the respective governments.
6. ISRO Technology Incubation Centre Inaugurated at NIT Agartala:-
- Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb inaugurated ISRO’s first Space Technology Incubation Centre(STIC) at the National Institute of Technology Agartala via remote from Bengaluru.
- The Centre was launched at the first edition of ‘Spacetronics’ organized by the India Electronics and Semiconductor Association (IESA).
7. MoU Signed for Establishing Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre in Niger:-
- India and Niger signed a MoU for the implementation of Mahatma Gandhi International Convention Centre (MGICC) in Niamey, Niger with the Indian government's grant assistance.
- The agreement was signed by Secretary (Economic Relations), Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) T.S. Tirumurti and Ambassador of Republic of Niger in India Ali Illiassou, in the presence of External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Minister and Special Adviser to the President of Republic of Niger, Saidil Moctar Mohamed.
8.Top Scientist KN Vyas Appointed Atomic Energy Commission Chief:-
- Renowned scientist Kamlesh Nilkanth Vyas has been appointed the secretary of the Department of Atomic Energy and chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission. Mr. Vyas, who is at present Director of Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), has been appointed in place of Shekhar Basu.
- Mr. Basu was appointed to the post in October 2015 and his tenure was to end in September 2016.
9. National Sports Awards 2018 Announced: Complete List of Winners:-
- National Sports Awards are given every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
10. India Post Payments Bank, Bajaj Allianz Join Hands ‘To Provide Insurance To All’:-
- State-owned India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) and Private Life Insurer Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Co Ltd (BALIC) entered into a strategic partnership to provide life insurance solutions, especially at the doorstep of every household in the country.
- This partnership will leverage IPPB’s last mile reach for building awareness about life insurance. Both the companies came together, to formally sign the Corporate Agency Agreement.