Current Affairs of 20 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. NITI Aayog Released Strategy Document For New India:-
- NITI Aayog unveiled its comprehensive national Strategy for New India titled ‘Strategy for New India @75’, which defines clear objectives for 2022-23. The document was released by the Finance Minister of India Mr Arun Jaitley.
- The Strategy Document advocates empowering and encouraging women to participate in all sectors of the economy, to build a strong and inclusive New India.
2. Assam Government Announces 3 Schemes For Farmer's Welfare:-
- Assam government has announced three schemes for the welfare of farmers. The schemes are the Assam Farmers’ Credit Subsidy Scheme (AFCSS), Assam Farmers’ Interest Relief Scheme (AFIRS) and Assam Farmers’ Incentive Scheme (AFIS).
- Under AFCSS, whatever amount of loan the farmers took from banks and whatever amount they repaid, 25% of the money will be reimbursed by the state government.
- On AFIRS, the Minister Stated that currently 3% of the 7% interest against farm loan is paid by the Central government and the remaining 4% is required to be paid by farmers. The state government has decided to pay the remaining 4% loan.
- About AFIS, Mr Sarma stated that the government is focusing on bringing back the defaulting farmers into the banking system.
3. Surrogacy Bill Passed In Lok Sabha:-
- Lok Sabha has passed the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2016 which is aimed at prohibiting commercial surrogacy and unethical practices relating to it. The Bill has provisions to constitute National Surrogacy Board, State Surrogacy Boards, and appointment of appropriate authorities for regulation of surrogacy.
- It permits surrogacy only for couples who cannot conceive a child. The intending couple must be Indian citizens and married for at least five years with at least one of them being infertile. The surrogate mother has to be a close relative who has been married and has a child of her own.
4. Mord Signs MoU With Maruti Suzuki India Ltd for Training Rural Youth for Skill Development:-
- Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) signed MoU with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd for training rural youth for skill development in presence of Minister of Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar.
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana (DDU-GKY) is the flagship placement linked skill-training programme under the MoRD.
5. India’s Largest Cancer Institute Launched At AIIMS’ Jhajjar Campus:-
- India’s largest cancer institute, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) has been soft-launched at Haryana’s Jhajjar area. The institute was finalised at a cost of Rs 2,035 crore and the project was approved by the cabinet committee in 2013.
- The aim is to strengthen research and also bring down the patient load at All India Institute of Medical Sciences’ (AIIMS) cancer centre. The hospital will be fully functional by December 2020.
6. The UN States Adopt Global Compact On Refugees:-
- The U.N. General Assembly voted nearly unanimously to adopt a framework to strengthen the international response to the global refugee crisis.
- The United States and Hungary were the only two nations that voted against the Global Compact on Refugees, while 181 countries voted in favour. The Dominican Republic, Eritrea, and Libya abstained.
7. Pranab K Das Appointed New Chairman of CBIC:-
- Senior bureaucrat Pranab Kumar Das has been appointed as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC), the apex policy-making body for indirect taxes.
- Das, special secretary and member (customs) at CBIC, will succeed S Ramesh.
8. Harsh Vardhan Shringla Appointed India's Ambassador to The US:-
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) appointed Harsh Vardhan Shringla as the new Ambassador of India to the United States of America.
- Shringla is currently serving as the High Commissioner in Bangladesh. He would be succeeding Navtej Singh Sarna.
9. Capital First Merged With IDFC Bank to Create IDFC First Bank:-
- IDFC Bank and non-banking financial company (NBFC) Capital First has announced the completion of their merger, creating a combined loan asset book of Rs 1.03 lakh crore for the merged entity IDFC First Bank. The merged entity to be called IDFC First Bank, subject to shareholders’ approval.
- Following the merger, the board of IDFC Bank approved the appointment of V Vaidyanathan, founder and chairman of Capital First Ltd, as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the merged entity.
10. Karnataka Bank Partners With Paisabazaar.com For Home Loans:-
- Paisabazaar.com, India's largest online marketplace for financial products, and Karnataka Bank announced a strategic partnership to offer the bank's home loan product to customers on the Paisabazaar platform.
- Through this partnership, consumers will now be able to choose and apply for a home loan from Karnataka Bank, directly through the Paisabazaar platform.