Current Affairs of 18 October 2018 are as follows:-
1.12th Asia Europe Meeting Summit Begins in Brussels:-
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu is in Brussels, Belgium to attend the 12th Asia Europe Meeting (ASEM) summit. Mr. Naidu will lead the Indian delegation at the two-day Summit. The theme of this year’s ASEM Summit is “Global Partners for Global Challenges”.
- ASEM Agenda for 2018 will prioritize issues related to connectivity, trade, and investment, sustainable development, climate change, terrorism, migration, maritime security, and cyberspace.
2.TCS Displaces Accenture As Largest IT Firm Servicing Banks:-
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) Ltd’s quarterly earnings from the financial sector have edged past that of Accenture Plc, which is nearly double its size, making company the world’s largest pure-play information technology (IT) and consulting firm servicing megabanks and insurers.
- During the July-September period, TCS got $2.07 billion in business from banking, financial services, and insurance, or the BFSI sector.
3.RBI Issues Guidelines To Facilitate Payments Among PPI:-
- In a move aimed at promoting digital transactions, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has released operational guidelines to facilitate payments among prepaid instruments (PPI) such as mobile wallets.
- According to the notification issued by the RBI, inter-operability among mobile wallets, and between the bank account and e-wallet would be enabled through the UPI system. Currently, a mobile wallet does not allow customers to send or receive money from a wallet run by another company.
4. India's 1st Cryptocurrency ATM Installed In Bengaluru:-
- An ATM for deposit and withdrawal of money for cryptocurrencies has been installed in Bengaluru's Kemp Fort Mall by virtual currency exchange Unocoin.
- Users can deposit money to buy currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum using an OTP received on their registered numbers. In order to withdraw money, a request has to be first made on the Unocoin website.
5. Muzaffarpur’s Shahi Litchi Gets GI Tag:-
- After huge efforts for a year, now Shahi Litchi of Muzaffarpur, Bihar has got official recognition as it receives the geographical indication (GI) tag.
- The sweet, pulpy and juicy Litchi of Bihar is mostly grown in Muzaffarpur, and adjoining areas including East Champaran, Vaishali, Samastipur, and Begusarai districts. The GI registration was done in the name of Litchi Growers Association of Bihar, who had applied for the tag.
6.Global Competitiveness Report 2018: India Ranks 58th, US Tops:-
- The World Economic Forum released the Global Competitiveness Report 2018. According to the report, India has jumped five spots to become the 58th most competitive economy on the Global Competitiveness Index 2018 (GCI 4.0).
- The United States ranked number one again with a score of 85.6. India ranked highest among South Asian countries with a score of 62.0. Sri Lanka was ranked 86, Bangladesh 103, Pakistan 107 and Nepal 109. As for the BRICS nations, China topped the list at 28th position with a score of 72.6 followed by Russian Federation, India, South Africa, and Brazil respectively.
- The Top 3 countries on the Index are:
7. Youth Olympic Games 2018: Akash Malik Wins India’s Maiden Archery Silver At YOG:-
- Akash Malik became India’s first silver-medallist in archery at the Youth Olympic Games, providing a fitting finale to the country’s best-ever campaign at the marquee event Buenos Aires.
- The 15-year-old son of a farmer lost a one-sided final to Trenton Cowles of the USA 0-6 as India concluded with three gold, nine silver, and one bronze at the event.
8.Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister N.D. Tiwari Passes Away:-
- Former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, N D Tiwari, passed away after a prolonged stint of hospitalization in New Delhi.
- Apart from serving as the Ministry of External Affairs in the Rajiv Gandhi Cabinet between 1986-87, Mr. Tiwari was thrice elected Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in varied stunts between 1976–77, 1984–85, 1988–89 and was for one term the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand, between 2002-2007.
9.RIL Announces ‘Strategic’ Partnership With Hathway And Den:-
- Mukesh Ambani’s Reliance Industries made it official that it is entering a strategic investment partnership with Den Networks Limited and Hathway Cable and Datacom Limited, which will be a ‘win-win’ outcome for customers, local cable operators, content producers, and the companies.
- All you need to know about the RIL-Hathway-Den strategic partnership:-
- RIL’s strategic investment in and partnership with Den, Hathway Cable, and Datacom Limited will accelerate JioGigaFiber rollout to 50 million homes across 1,100 cities.
- RIL will make the primary investment of Rs 2,045 crore through a preferential issue under SEBI regulations and secondary purchase of Rs 245 crore from the existing promoters for a 66% stake in Den.
- The Mukesh Ambani conglomerate will also make the primary investment of Rs 2,940 crore through a preferential issue under SEBI regulations for a 51.3% stake in Hathway Cable and Datacom Limited (Hathway).
- Hathaway will issue 90.8 crore shares to Reliance Jio at Rs 32.35 per share RIL also plans to make open offers in DEN and Hathway subsidiaries.
- Reliance and Jio aim to strengthen 27,000 LCOs that are aligned with DEN and Hathway.
- RIL is being advised by JM Financial Limited, Citigroup Global Markets, Khaitan & Co, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas, AZB Partners and EY LLP for the deal.
10.Government Launches 'Swastha Bharat Yatra' Campaign:-
- The government launched a national campaign 'Swasth Bharat Yatra' on the World Food Day (16th October) under which a pan-India cycle rally is being organized to sensitize people about eating safe food and be healthy. It was announced by the FSSAI chief executive Pawan Kumar Agarwal.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is leading this campaign where about 7,500 cyclists are expected to participate in over 18,000 km relay cycle rally traveling across six tracks through almost every state and UT over 100 days to propagate a powerful message 'Eat Right India'.