Current Affairs of 16 September 2018 following:-
1. New Website For '15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019' Inaugurated:-
- External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj, along with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the website for the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019, www.pbdindia.gov.in.
- Guests at the PBD 2019:
- Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jugnauth will be the Chief Guest.
- Member of Parliament of Norway Himanshu Gulati will be the Special Guest.
- Member of Parliament of New Zealand Kanwaljit Singh Bakshi will be the Guest of Honor.
2. India Gets Its 1st Ever Dedicated Dog Park in Hyderabad:-
- For the first time in India, dog owners will have a dedicated dog park to visit. Set up in Hyderabad, the park is spread across an area of 1.3 acres.
- The park houses dog training equipment, play equipment, splash pool, fountain, areas for exercise, amphitheatre, lawns, separate kennels for small and big dogs and a dedicated dog clinic.
3. India Ranks 3rd On Family-Owned Business List: CSRI Report:-
- India ranks third globally in terms of a number of family-owned businesses with 111 companies having a total market capitalisation of $839 billion. India closely follows China with 159 firms and the US with 121 firms, according to the ‘Credit Suisse Family 1000 in 2018’ study, published by the Credit Suisse Research Institute (CSRI).
- As per the report, in terms of a number of family-owned businesses within the non-Japan Asian region, the list is dominated by China, India and Hong Kong. These three jurisdictions together account for around 65% of the non-Japan Asian section of CSRI’s database.
4. NABARD Approves Rs 65,635 crore Loan For 93 Irrigation Projects:-
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has approved Rs 65,634.93 crore loan so far to 93 prioritised irrigation projects under the government's flagship scheme Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY).
- The NABARD is funding the central and state share of 99 prioritised irrigation projects under the PMKSY through long-term irrigation fund (LTIF). It is mandated to provide Rs 70,000 crore loan to these projects to be completed by 2019.
5. Federal Bank Inks MOU With Infopark Kakkanad:-
- Federal Bank, which is in the process of formation of a wholly owned subsidiary company, has executed MOU with Infopark Kakkanad for leasing space in their campus.
- The Bank has already obtained in principle approval of the Reserve Bank of India for the creation of a subsidiary company. The proposed company will integrate and handle all the back-end operations of the Bank.
6. PNB Wins Hindi Implementation Award:-
- State-run Punjab National Bank (PNB) bagged the "Rajbhasha Kirti" award for outstanding performance in implementing the Official Language Policy during 2017-18. The award was given on the occasion of Hindi Diwas (15th September).
- The award, under the category of 'Nationalised Banks and Financial Institutions in Region A', was presented by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu to PNB Chief Executive and MD Sunil Mehta.
7. Infosys Acquires Finnish Company 'Fluido' For Rs 545 crore:-
- Infosys has acquired Finnish company Fluido, a top consulting partner of Salesforce, for 65 million euros (about Rs 545 crore). This is Infosys’s second acquisition under CEO Salil Parekh.
Recently, it had acquired US digital creative and consumer insight agency WongDoody for $75 million.
8. NASA Launches Satellite To Track Decreasing Polar Ice:-
- NASA launched its Ice, Cloud and Land Elevation Satellite-2, known as ICESat-2, which will use an extremely precise laser to collect measurement data to track the Earth's shrinking polar ice from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.
The laser, known as ATLAS (Advanced Topographic Laser Altimeter System), splits into six beams and fires 10,000 pulses per second to collect very precise measurements for scientists to analyze.
9. former Union minister Satya Prakash Malviya Passes Away:-
- Former Union petroleum minister Satya Prakash Malaviya passed away in Delhi. He was 84. Mr Malaviya was suffering from prostate cancer.
- Mr Malaviya had served as the petroleum minister in the cabinet headed by former Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar. He also served as environment minister in the Uttar Pradesh cabinet.
10. Maldives Defeats India to Lift SAFF Cup:-
- Maldives have lifted the 2018 South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Cup. In the final at the Bangabandhu Stadium in Dhaka, they defeated defending champions India 2-1. The win for the Maldives comes 10 years after their first SAFF Cup title in 2008.
- Seven-time champions India had started as favourites in the summit clash. The Indian team, comprising mostly under-23 players, was the only unbeaten side in the tournament.