Current Affairs of 12 October 2018 are as follows:-
1. World Bank’s Human Capital Index: Singapore Tops, India Ranks 115th:-
- The World Bank released the Human Capital Index (HCI) as part of the World Development Report 2019. The broader theme of the World Development Report (WDR) this year is “The Changing Nature of Work”. The HCI has been constructed for 157 countries.
- Singapore topped the poll after it was highly rated for its universal health care system, education exams results, and life expectancy figures. It is followed by South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, and Finland. India was ranked at the 115th position lower than Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, and Bangladesh.
2.Delhi, Moscow Sign Twin-City Agreement:-
- the Delhi government signed a twin-city agreement with the government of Moscow for cooperation in various fields like environment, culture, and education, for the next 3 years.
- The agreement was signed by Minister of the Moscow City government and head of its international relations Sergey Cheremin and Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia.
3. First India-Israel Innovation Centre Opens in Bengaluru:-
- The country’s first India-Israel Innovation Centre (IIIC), an entrepreneurial technology hub, was launched in Bengaluru.
- The IIIC is a significant step towards facilitating penetration of Israeli companies in India and aims to forge local partnerships and joint ventures between companies from the two countries.
4.NSE Signs Pact With Uttarakhand Govt to Fuel MSMEs Growth in State:-
- Leading stock exchange NSE has signed a pact with the Uttarakhand government to provide access to capital to MSMEs, which will fuel the growth of such entities in the state.
- The course will play an active role in nurturing the SMEs and start-ups by increasing awareness along with the government on the opportunities to raise capital, SME exchange guidelines, listing processes, compliances with listing agreement among others.
5. President Kovind Inaugurates 13th Annual Convention of CIC:-
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the 13th Annual Convention of the Central Information Commission in New Delhi. The Convention deliberated on three specific subjects - Data privacy and Right to Information, Amendment in the RTI Act and Implementation of the RTI Act.
- All the present and former Chief Information Commissioners, Information Commissioners of the Central Information Commission, State Information Commission, RTI activists and NGOs associated with the implementation of the RTI Act attended the Convention.
6.NITI Aayog's AIM & IBM India Design Industry-Tailored Student Internship Programme:-
- NITI Aayog and IBM announced a first-of-its-kind internship programme for students selected by Atal Innovation Mission (AIM).
- The internship will see 38 students receive a two-week paid internship, and 14 teachers from Atal Tinkering Labs (ATL) across the length and breadth of the country including from states such as Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Andaman & Nicobar, and others, to come together and ideate, collaborate and innovate.
7. Central University of Jammu Signs MoU With ISRO:-
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) signed a MoU with the Central University of Jammu (CUJ) in Jammu for setting up of the Satish Dhawan Center for Space Science in the University.
- Another MoU was signed between CUJ and the Central Scientific Instruments Organization (CSIR-CSIO) to create awareness about space research. This is the first of its kind institute coming up in Jammu and Kashmir and the building is proposed in an area of about 1,150 sq. m.
8.SBI Signs MoU With Nepal's NBI For Human Resource Development:-
- State Bank of India has signed a MoU with Kathmandu-based National Banking Institute (NBI) for the development of human resources of the latter. Under the MoU, the strategic training unit of SBI will impart education, training and development to facilitate the transformation of NBI's HR department.
- SBI signed the three-year MoU with NBI to establish a mutually beneficial strategic alliance for the development of NBI's human resources by imparting education, training and research.
9. Pakistan Left-Arm Spinner Abdur Rehman Retires From International Cricket:-
- Former Pakistan left-arm spinner Abdur Rehman, who along with teammate Saeed Ajmal famously stunned England during a 3-0 defeat in 2012, announced his retirement from international cricket.
- The spinner Rehman finished his 22-Test career just one short of a deserved hundred wicket mark, while he took 30 in 31 one-dayers and eight wickets in 11 Twenty20 Internationals.
10. Malaysian Government Abolishes Capital Punishment:-
- Communications and multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo stated that the government decided to scrap capital punishment following strong domestic opposition to the practice.
- Capital punishment in Malaysia is currently mandatory for murder, kidnapping, possession of firearms and drug trafficking, among other crimes.