Current Affairs of 05 October 2018 are as follows:-
1.Aung San Suu Kyi, 1st Person To Lose Honorary Canadian Citizenship:-
- Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi became the first person to be stripped of the honorary Canadian citizenship for her role in gross human rights violations against the Rohingya people.
- The Canadian Senate formally revoked the symbolic honor that was bestowed on Suu Kyi in 2007.
2.Monetary Policy: RBI Leaves Repo Rate Unchanged At 6.5%:-
- The Reserve Bank of India has kept the policy repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) unchanged at 6.5%. Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF remains at 6.25%, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate at 6.75%.
- The decision of the MPC is consistent with the stance of calibrated tightening of monetary policy in consonance with the objective of achieving the medium-term target for consumer price index (CPI) inflation of 4% within a band of +/- 2% while supporting growth. Growth projection for 2018-19 has also been retained at 7.4%.
3.Nobel Prize 2018: Nobel Prize in Peace Goes To Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad:-
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad “for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict”.
- Denis Mukwege is the helper who has devoted his life to defending the victims. Nadia Murad is the witness who tells of the abuses perpetrated against herself and others.
4.Coast Guards of India, Vietnam Hold Joint Exercise 'Sahyog HOP TAC-2018':-
- A Vietnam Coast Guard ship, on its maiden visit to Chennai, undertook joint exercises with the Indian Coast Guard 'Sahyog HOP TAC-2018', off the city coast aimed at strengthening the working level relationship between them.
- Coast Guard ships Shaurya, Arnvesh and in receptor boat C-431 along with a Dornier aircraft and Chetak helicopter participated in the joint exercise.
5. Indian International Science Festival Begins In Lucknow:-
- A four-day Indian International Science Festival (IISF) 2018 will start in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. President Ramnath Kovind will formally inaugurate the festival. IISF-2018 with its focal theme “Science for Transformation” will have 23 special events.
- Union Science and Technology Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan announced that about ten thousand scientists and experts, including science teachers and students, will participate in the event. The IISF is being organized in the state for the first time.
6. 36th National Games To Be Held Next Year In Goa:-
- The 36th National Games in Goa will be held from March 30 to April 14 next year. Sports Authority of Goa (SAG) Executive Director V M Prabhudesai made the announcement in Panaji after a meeting with visiting officials of the Indian Olympic Association.
- Shooting and cycling events will be held in New Delhi as Goa does not have facilities for these two sports. Rugby, Wushu, Modern Pentathlon, Lawn Bowl, and Billiards and Snooker will be added to the Games programme.
7. India And Kazakhstan Agree To Boost Defence and Military-Technical Cooperation:-
- Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman was on a three-day visit to Astana, Kazakhstan at the invitation of Minister of Defence of the Republic of Kazakhstan Mr. Nurlan Yermekbayev. During the visit, a wide range of issues relating to defense and military-technical cooperation were discussed.
- India and Kazakhstan Defence Cooperation include military-technical cooperation, military education, and training, joint military exercises, bilateral exchange of visits and cadet youth exchange programs. Both countries are Strategic Partners since 2009.
8. GI Tag for Alphonso Mango From Konkan:-
- Alphonso Mango from Ratnagiri, Sindhudurg and other adjoining areas in Maharashtra, finally gets a Geographical Indication (GI) Tag. A Geographical Indication or a GI is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- The king of mangoes, Alphonso, better known as ‘Hapus’ in Maharashtra, is in demand in domestic and international markets not only for its taste but also for pleasant fragrance and vibrant color.
9.World Teachers' Day: 5 October:-
- World Teachers’ Day is celebrated globally on 5th October. The WTD 2018 will mark the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948) that recognizes education as a key fundamental right and establishes an entitlement to free compulsory education, ensuring inclusive and equitable access for all children.
- The theme for this year's WTD is “The right to education means the right to a qualified teacher”.
10. Complete List of Agreements/MoUs Exchanged between India and Russia:-
- Russian President Vladimir Putin is in India on the 2-day visit. Following are the set of agreements signed between India and Russia during his stay.
1. Protocol for Consultations between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and MEA for the period 2019-2023
2. MoU between the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation and the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog).
11. India, Russia Seal $5 Billion S-400 Missile Air Defence Deal:-
- India and Russia signed the $5 billion S-400 air defense system deal during the annual bilateral summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin at Hyderabad House.
- India wants to procure the long-range missile systems to tighten its air defense mechanism, particularly along the nearly 4,000-km-long Sino-India border. The S-400 is an upgraded version of the S-300 systems. The missile system, manufactured by Almaz-Antey, has been in service in Russia since 2007.
12. India And ADB Signs $110 Million Loan to Improve Rural Connectivity in MP:-
- The government of India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $110 million loan to finance the upgrade of 2,800 kilometers all-weather rural roads in the State of Madhya Pradesh under the Prime Minister's Rural Roads Program (PMGSY).
- Tranche 2 loan is part of the $500 million Second Rural Connectivity investment Program for India approved by the ADB Board in December 2017.