Current Affairs of 02 October 2018 are as follows:-
1. Asian Development Bank (ADB) and India sign $150 Million Loan to Improve Regional Connectivity:-
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) said it has approved a USD 150 million loans to finance road infrastructure and international trade corridor in West Bengal and north-eastern states.
- This is the second tranche loan agreement for the USD 500 million South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation Road Connectivity Investment Programme.
- The programme aims to expand about 500 kilometers of roads in north Bengal and north-eastern states to enable efficient and safe transport within India and regionally.
2.Assam, 1st State To Launch Wage Compensation Scheme For Pregnant Women In Tea Gardens:-
- Assam became the first state to offer financial assistance under a special scheme for pregnant tea garden workers. They will also not be engaged in work from the third trimester of pregnancy to three months after delivery. Women form the bulk of the workforce in the state’s 800-odd tea gardens.
- The noble objective of this scheme is to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality in tea gardens across the state.
- Each one of them will get Rs 12,000 so that she can look after herself and her unborn baby without affecting the livelihood of her family.
3. India releases commemorative stamps in the Netherlands to mark Gandhi Jayanti:-
- The Indian embassy in the Netherlands released commemorative stamps in honor of Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary. The stamps were released in the country’s iconic Peace Palace, home to the International Court of Justice, by the Indian Postal Department and were presented by India’s ambassador to the Netherlands, Venu Rajamony, to former Foreign Minister and Chairman of Carnegie Foundation, Dr. Bernard R. Bot, and Director General Erik de Baedts.
- A social media campaign with the hashtag #FollowTheMahatma is also being conducted by the Embassy, inviting people to post messages reiterating their commitment to the principle of non-violence.
4. Petroleum Minister to launch SATAT initiative:-
- Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development and Entrepreneurship will kick off an innovative initiative in New Delhi with PSU Oil Marketing Companies.
- Titled SATAT, the initiative is aimed at providing a Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transportation (SATAT) as a developmental effort that would benefit both vehicle-users as well as farmers and entrepreneurs.
- It aims to set up Compressed Bio-Gas (CBG) production plants and make available CBG in the market for use in automotive fuels.
5. NASA completes 60 years of space research:-
- US space agency NASA has completed 60 years of human space exploration, discovering the world beyond Earth and developing new technologies.
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) officially opened for business for the first time on October 1, 1958.
6. Multi-National Maritime Exercise ‘IBSAMAR-VI’ Starts In South Africa:-
- The sixth edition of IBSAMAR, a joint Multi-National Maritime Exercise between the Indian, Brazilian and South African Navies, is being held at Simons Town, South Africa.
- The aim of the exercise is to undertake collective training for participating navies, building interoperability and mutual understanding as well as sharing of best practices.
7. World Boxing Council convention kicks off:-
- The 56th annual convention of the World Boxing Council (WBC) kicked off in Kiev, Ukraine.
- The meeting, which is hosted by Ukraine for the first time, will last until October 5.
8. World Cup Veteran Mile Jedinak Retires From Australian National Team:-
- Australian football captain Mile Jedinak has announced his retirement from international football after a stellar career that saw him reach three World Cups.
- With his career surging, in 2015, He also led the national team to one of its most historic victories.
9. Facebook appoints Adam Mosseri as Instagram Head:-
- Facebook has appointed Adam Mosseri, Vice President of Product, as a new head of its photo-sharing app Instagram.
- Mosseri replaces Instagram co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger who abruptly announced their departure in September.
10. Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad elected as new Hockey India president:-
- Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad was named as the new President of Hockey India (HI) following the 8th Hockey India Congress and Elections in New Delhi.
- He formerly held the post of Secretary General, takes over from outgoing President Rajinder Singh after being elected unopposed.
11. Nobel Prize in Physics Goes To Arthur Ashkin, Gerard Mourou, And Donna Strickland:-
- American scientist Arthur Ashkin, French engineer Gerard Mourou, and Canadian professor Donna Strickland have been awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for their work in the field of laser physics.
- Dr. Ashkin has been awarded the Prize “for the optical tweezers and their application to biological systems.
- Dr. Mourou and Dr. Strickland have been awarded “for their method of generating high-intensity, ultra-short optical pulses.
12. World Habitat Day 2018:-
- World Habitat Day is celebrated annually on the first Monday of October. The event focuses on the state of human settlements and people’s right to sufficient shelter.
- This year theme is “Municipal Solid Waste Management”.