Current Affairs of 31 October 2018 are as follows:-
1. PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Statue of Unity:-
- PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Statue of Unity or Sardar Patel’s statue, the world’s largest statue, on the statesman's 143rd birth anniversary in Gujarat.
- The statue has been dedicated to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, fondly known as the Iron Man of India.
- The statue stands in the midst of the Narmada River, on the islet of Sadhu Bet. Sardar Patel is credited for unifying all of the 562 princely states in pre-independence India to form what is today the Republic of India.
- The statue is made up of 1,700 tonnes of bronze, 1,850 tonnes of bronze cladding, 70,000 metric tonnes of cement and 24,500 metric tonnes of steel.
2. NASA probe gets closest to the sun:-
- The U.S. space agency announced NASA’s Parker Solar Probe, mankind’s first mission to ‘touch’ the sun, has set a new record for closest approach to the sun by a human-made object, Parker Solar Probe.
- The probe launched on August 12, is on an unprecedented seven-year-long journey to unlock the mysteries of the sun’s fiery outer atmosphere and its effects on space weather.
- The spacecraft passed the current record of 42.73 million km from the sun’s surface on October 29 as calculated by the Parker Solar Probe team.
3. Defence Minister flags off 'Run for Unity' in Chennai:-
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on October 31, 2018, flagged off the 'Run for Unity,' an event organized to mark the birth anniversary of freedom fighter and India's first Home Minister, Sardar Vallabhai Patel, in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Sitharaman, besides Tamil Nadu Ministers D Jayakumar and SP Velumani, participated in the event.
- The run was conducted to mark the dedication of the ‘statue of unity’ by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Gujarat. The event saw a large participation from the youth.
4. Malala Yousafzai to be honored by Harvard University:-
- Nobel Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai will be honored by Harvard University for her work promoting girls' education. Harvard's Kennedy School said Yousafzai will be conferred with the 2018 Gleitsman Award at a ceremony on December 6.
- Yousafzai became the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 2014 when she was recognized for her global work supporting schooling for all children.
- As a teen in Pakistan, she survived an assassination attempt by the Taliban. She later founded the nonprofit Malala Fund to support her work.
5. Anupam Kher resigns as Chairman of Film and Television Institute of India:-
- Anupam Kher on October 31, 2018, resigned as Chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), citing international film and TV assignments.
- Anupam Kher took office as the Chairman of the prestigious organization in October 2017. Prior to Kher, Gajendra Chauhan was the Chairman of FTII. Chauhan left office in March 2017.
- He offered his resignation through a letter addressed to the Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
6. New SBI ATM withdrawal limits to come into effect:-
- The new ATM cash withdrawal rules for SBI account holders will come into effect from today, October 31, 2018.
- The country’s largest bank will reduce the daily cash withdrawal limit for Classic and Maestro debit cards to Rs 20,000 per day, from Rs 40,000.
- SBI account holders having higher daily cash withdrawal requirements can apply for other debit card variants that have a higher daily withdrawal limit, the bank has said in a communication.
- There will be no changes in the daily withdrawal limits on other SBI debit cards.
7. Rashtriya Ekta Diwas 2018 observed to commemorate 143 rd birth anniversary of Sardar Patel:-
- India observed Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on October 31, 201,8 to commemorate the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India.
- On this occasion, Home Minister Rajnath Singh flagged off the ‘Run for Unity’ from Major Dhyanchand Stadium. He also administered unity pledge to the participants.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to world's tallest ‘Statue of Unity’ to the nation at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Gujarat.
- The Prime Minister also unveiled the ‘Wall of Unity’, a wall created with the earth samples collected from various states across the country.
8. India invited Italy to invest in defence sector:-
- India invited Italy to participate in the defense sector under the “Make in India” scheme. The invitation also included an agreement to counter terrorist financing and state sponsors of terrorism.
- This latest announcement was the first time when the two countries have agreed on joint defense production since the Augusta Westland case exploded in 2013.
- During the 9th Military Group Meeting that was held between India and Italy, both the countries agreed on cooperation in 2019.
- Mr.Conte’s visit is the first since he took charge in June 2018. He also showed his support for India’s quest for membership in the Nuclear Suppliers Group and underlined Rome’s support to India’s membership in the global technology export groups.
9. Worlds first sovereign Blue Bond launched by Seychelles, assisted by West Bengal:-
- The Republic of Seychelles launched the world’s first sovereign blue bond worth US$15 million to finance sustainable marine and fisheries projects.
- The bond was announced at the Our Ocean Conference in Bali by the Vice-President of the Republic of Seychelles, Vincent Meriton. Seychelles is the first nation to pioneer such a financing instrument.
10. World Savings Day or World Thrift day is observed as October 31:-
- On October 31, 1924, World Savings Day or World Thrift day, was established during the 1st International Savings Bank Congress (World Society of Savings Banks) in Milano, Italy. In India due to the death of late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984, this day is celebrated on 30th October.