Current Affairs May 31, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Microsoft is third most Valuable Firm Globally:-
- Software giant Microsoft surpassed Google’s parent company Alphabet in market capitalization for the first time in three years.
- Microsoft becomes the third most valuable firm globally after Apple and Amazon.
- Microsoft had a market cap of $753 billion at the close of trading, almost $14 billion ahead of Alphabet.
- While Apple leads with a market cap of nearly $924 billion, Amazon is at a distant second, with nearly $783 billion.
2. India Releases Rs33.10 Cr To Nepal For 2 Road Projects:-
- India released 33.10 Crore rupees to Nepal towards the cost of two road packages of Birgunj-Thori Road being implemented under Postal Highway Projects in Nepal with Government of India’s grant assistance.
- The amount has been released towards 25% of the tendered cost (including 10% mobilization advance) of the Postal Highway Projects.
- The Government of India has so far released a total of 117.63 Crore rupees to the Government of Nepal for implementing 14 packages of the Postal Highway Projects.
- The construction of Dhangadhi-Bhajaniya-Satti road and Lamki-Tikapur-Khakraula road has been completed.
3. Defence Minister inaugurates IAF Commanders’ Conference:-
- Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on May 31, 2018, inaugurated the first biannual IAF Commanders' Conference of 2018 at Air Headquarters.
- During the inauguration, the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa briefed the Defence Minister regarding the current status of the IAF and on Exercise ‘Gagan Shakti', which was conducted in April 2018.
- The two-day conference will involve discussions over operational, maintenance and administrative takeaways identified during the exercise and the way ahead.
4. Maharashtra agriculture minister passes away:-
- Maharashtra Agriculture Minister, Pandurang Fundkar passed away on May 31, 2018, in Mumbai, after a brief illness. He was 67.
- The senior BJP leader was a three-term MP and a former president of the Maharashtra party unit. The legislator first became an MLA in 1978.
- Fundkar was a farmers' leader and did justice to the portfolio he held, after being inducted in the Devendra Fadnavis ministry in July 2016.
5. Patanjali Launches New Messaging App 'Kimbho':-
- Yoga guru Baba Ramdev's Patanjali launched a new swadeshi messaging application called 'Kimbho' to compete with WhatsApp.
- Kimbho caters to private and group chats with free phone and video calling. The tagline of Kimbho is "Ab Bharat Bolega".
- Patanjali has recently tied up with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) to enter the telecom sector by launching Swadeshi Samriddhi SIM cards.
6. Indian Railways revises passenger reservation form:-
- The Union Ministry of Railways has revised its passenger reservation form to benefit the passengers booking tickets through reservation windows across the nation.
- Now, the VIKALP scheme option will also be available on booking made through reservation windows and not just through online bookings.
- If the option of VIKALP is availed by passengers, he/she would have to mark his/her choice of alternate train departing within 12 hours, 24 hours, 48 hours.
- The passenger would also be given an optional choice to mention their Aadhar number in the reservation form.
7. World No Tobacco Day is celebrated on 31 May:-
- On Every year, 31 May, World Health Organizati, n and partners mark World No Tobacco Day (WNTD).
- The theme of World No Tobacco Day 2018 is "Tobacco and heart disease."
- The day highlights the health and other risks associated with tobacco use, and advocating for effective policies to reduce tobacco consumption.