Current Affairs of July 31, 2018, follow as:-
1. Indian Railways launches Mission Satyanishtha:-
- The Indian Railways launched ‘Mission Satyanishtha’ and a programme on Ethics in Public Governance, in a first-of-its-kind event, at a day-long function held at National Rail Museum, New Delhi.
- Indian Railways Minister Piyush Goyal administered the oath to the officers and supervisors at the programme.
- The first-of-its-kind event was inaugurated by Ashwani Lohani, Chairman, Railway Board.
- The Satyanishtha mission aims to sensitize all railway employees about the need to adhere to good ethics and to maintain high standards of integrity at work.
2. Parliament passes Bill for a merger of five subsidiary banks with SBI:-
- The Indian Parliament on July 30, 2018, passed the State Banks (Repeal and Amendment) Bill, 2017 that merges the subsidiary banks with the State Bank of India (SBI).
- The Bill seeks to repeal the State Bank of India (Subsidiary Banks) Act, 1959, the State Bank of Hyderabad Act, 1956. These Acts established the State Bank of Bikaner, State Bank of Mysore, State Bank of Patiala, State Bank of Travancore, and State Bank of Hyderabad, the subsidiaries of the SBI.
3. Chhattisgarh CM launched Mobile Distribution Scheme Mobile Tihar:-
- Actress Kangana Ranaut and Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh launched a smartphone distribution scheme called 'Mobile Tihar' under Sanchar Kranti Yojana.
- The scheme includes distribution of smartphones to 45 lakh women and 5 lakh children and setting up of 556 new mobile towers.
- The Chhattisgarh government is working towards improving network connectivity and empowering youth with smartphones.
4. World Day against Trafficking in Persons observed globally:-
- The World Day against Trafficking in Persons was observed across the world on July 30, 2018.
- This year’s campaign aims to highlight the fact that almost one-third of trafficking victims are children. The theme not only draws attention to the issues faced by trafficked children but also to the possible action initiatives linked to safeguarding and ensuring justice for the child victims.
5. Seema Nanda has been appointed as the CEO of DNC:-
- Indian American Seema Nanda has been appointed as CEO of the opposition Democratic National Committee. She vowed to fight for the “Soul of the country” and help elect Democrats in every corner of the United States.
- She is the first Indian American ever to be the CEO of either the DNC or the Republican National Committee.
6. Imran Khan to take oath as PM of Pakistan on August 11, 2018:-
- Imran Khan, the Chief of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), announced that he will take oath as Prime Minister of Pakistan on August 11, 2018. The PTI has announced that the party had acquired enough seats in the lower house through coalition talks to form a majority government.
- Parties like the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, the Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid and regional groups based in Balochistan and Sindh are among coalition members with the PTI.
- The other major political parties, who lost the Pakistan general election, including the Pakistan Muslim League- Nawaz and the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) has announced that they would form a grand opposition in Parliament.
7. Lok Sabha passes Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018:-
- The Lok Sabha on July 30, 2018, passed the Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018 that proposes to enhance punishment for rape of a child. The Bill amends the Indian Penal Code (IPC), 1860 to increase the minimum punishment for rape of women from seven years to ten years.
- The Bill seeks to replace the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance promulgated on April 21, 2018, following an outcry over the rape and murder of a minor girl in Kathua in Jammu and Kashmir and the rape of another woman at Unnao in Uttar Pradesh.
8. ONGC conferred with INFRA Icon Award:-
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) was awarded the INFRA Icon Award in the ‘Global Energy’ category at the mid-day INFRA Icons Awards 2018, in Mumbai.
- The award was given away by Additional Metropolitan Commissioner, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), Pravin Darare.
- The theme of the event was:‘Smart cities envisages to take infrastructure development to a next level’.
- ONGC received this award as a recognition of its valuable contribution in upgrading India as a whole. It aims to bring a change with trendsetters related to the infrastructure of India.
9. Indian Juniors won six medals at Jordan Table Tennis meet 2018:-
- Indian junior paddlers won six medals in the individual events at the Jordan Junior and Cadet Open 2018 in Jordan. The medals included a gold, three silver, and two bronze.
- Winners are:- A team consisting of Prapti Sen, Swastika Ghosh and Surbhi Patwari of Gold Medalist.
- A team consisting of Jeet Chandra, Manush Shah and Snehit Suravajjula, A team consisting of Diya Chitale and Trisha Gogoi, and Trisha (Individual) of Silver Medalists.
- A team consisting of Ankuram Jain, Parth Virmani and Sarthak and A team consisting of Payas Jain and H Jeho are the winners of Bronze Medals.
10. HSBC appointed Surendra Rosha as India CEO:-
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation(HSBC) has appointed Surendra Rosha as the CEO for HSBC India. He succeeds Jayant Rikhye, who is taking leave of absence for medical reasons. The appointment is subject to regulatory approvals.
- Mr.Rosha previously held the position of HSBC’s Head of Financial Institutions Group (FIG) for Asia-Pacific. He has been working with HSBC’s Indian operations since 1991.