Current Affairs of 30 October 2018 are as follows:-
1. Worlds largest airport under one roof opened in Istanbul, Turkey:-
- World’s largest airport terminal under one roof with a capacity to serve 90 million passengers was opened in Istanbul, Turkey.
- It has been constructed as a part of the phase-1A of the project – Istanbul New Airport.
- It has been constructed by – IGA and the first phase cost 7.5 billion Euro.
- It has five pier blocks as well as 77 boarding gates and 143 aero-bridges.
2. Successful night trial of Agni-1 ballistic missile:-
- A night trial of India's indigenously developed nuclear-capable Agni-1 ballistic missile with a strike range of 700 km was successfully conducted on October 30, 2018, from a test range off Odisha coast as part of a user trial by the Army.
- The launch of the surface-to-surface missile was undertaken as a part of periodic training activity by the Strategic Forces Command (SFC) from Dr. Abdul Kalam Island to consolidate operational readiness. The trail was adjudged as successful with all mission objectives being met.
- The trajectory of the trial was tracked by a battery of sophisticated radars, telemetry observation stations, electro-optic instruments and naval ships from its launch until the missile hit the target area with accuracy.
- Agni-I missile has a specialized navigation system which ensures it reaches the target with a high degree of accuracy and precision.
3. India and Japan signed a currency swap agreement worth USD 75 billion:-
- India and Japan signed a currency swap agreement worth $75 billion. The agreement happened during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Japan.
- The agreement aimed at a great friendship between the two countries and to further strengthen the economic cooperation.
- It is expected that the swap arrangement should aid in bringing greater stability to foreign exchange and capital markets in India.
4. Government approves construction of over two lakh additional houses in urban areas under PMAY:-
- The government has approved the construction of over two lakh additional houses in urban areas under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
- An official release said West Bengal has been sanctioned over one lakh affordable houses and Uttar Pradesh more than 50,000 houses.
- Andhra Pradesh has been sanctioned over 41,000 houses and Maharashtra over 20,000. Further, over 1,400 houses have been sanctioned for Nagaland and around 500 houses for Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
5. WHO reported that Delhi topped national charts in bad air quality:-
- World Health Organization’s (WHO) report on most polluted cities 2018 said 14 out of the 20 most polluted cities in the world are in India. WHO reported that Delhi topped the charts of bad air quality nationally.
- Also, the WHO children’s health report released on 29th October said that 93% of the world’s children under 15 years breathe polluted air. Indian environmentalists analyzed the same issue in 14 cities using the Central Pollution Control Board of India (CPCB) data and concluded the same.
- Most cities, unlike Delhi, do not have an emergency response plan to tackle air pollution. Some of the cities like Patna and Varanasi have recently formulated action plans.
6. India and Japan supports free Indo Pacific:-
- India and Japan outlined a vision for strengthened bilateral relations at the 13th annual summit. Enhanced strategic and defense cooperation dominated the talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Japanese counterpart, Shinzo Abe.
- The talks accepted Japan’s formulation of a free and open Indo-Pacific as both the sides stressed their unwavering commitment to it.
- The concept is usually seen as a response to China’s growing dominance in the region.
7. Jair Bolsonaro is elected as President of Brazil:-
- Jair Bolsonaro, Former Army Captain, was elected as the President of Brazil. He promised a fundamental change in direction for the country. Mr.Bolsonaro, 63, will take office on January 1, 2019.
- Official results gave him 55.13% of the votes in the run-off election, to 44.87% for leftist opponent Fernando Haddad, with 99.99% of the ballots counted.
- The U.S. President Donald Trump congratulated him.Mr. Bolsonaro publicly admired the American leader.
8. State Bank of India and Hitachi Payments formed the joint venture for digital payment platform:-
- State Bank of India (SBI) and payments solution provider Hitachi Payment Services India entered into an agreement to form a joint venture for establishing a card acceptance and digital payment platform.
- According to the joint venture (JV), Hitachi will pick up 26 percent stake in SBI Payment Services, a wholly-owned subsidiary of SBI.
- The JV will have various payment options to customers and merchants.