Current Affairs of May 30, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Lt Gen Ranbir Singh appointed Northern Army Commander:-
- Lt Gen Ranbir Singh, who was the Director-General of Military Operations (DGMO) when India carried out surgical strikes across the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir, has been appointed Northern Army commander.
- Lt Gen Singh succeeds Lt Gen Anbu who will take charge as Vice Chief of the Indian Army on June 1. At present, Lt Gen Singh is Deputy Chief of the Army Staff.
- Singh was the DGMO when India had carried out surgical strikes across the LoC on the intervening night of September 28 and 29 in 2016.
2. Paraguay Got Its First Woman Interim President:-
- Paraguay gets a first interim woman President Alicia Pucheta for the first time in its history after outgoing leader Horacio Cartes stepped down ahead of schedule.
- Vice President Alicia Pucheta will complete Carter's mandate after he resigned to become a senator.
- Paraguay has just eight women among its 45 senators, and 11 among the 80 members of the lower house. Paraguay remains 135th out of 180 countries on the 2017 corruption index of Transparency International.
3. First Indian to receive Linnean Medal:-
- Indian botanist Kamaljit Bawa received the Linnean Medal in Botany from Linnean Society of London.
- Bawa is the 1st Indian to win the award ever since it was constituted in 1888.
- He was recognized for his pioneering research on the evolution of tropical plants, tropical deforestation & non-timber forest products.
- Linnean Medal is awarded to a biologist every year by the Linnean Society of London.
4. R K Agrawal appointed as President of National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission:-
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet appointed former Supreme court Judge R K Agarwal as National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission ( NCDRC) from February 2014 to May 2018
- He will succeed Justice D K Jain, who completed his term. Justice Agrawal was the judge of Supreme Court from February 2014 to May 2018.
- It was established in 1988 and it is headquartered in New Delhi. The commission is headed by sitting or retired judge of Supreme court of India.
5. Sangeeta Bahl becomes oldest Indian woman to Scale Mount Everest:-
- Sangeeta Bahl, a 53-year-old former model become the oldest Indian woman to conquer Mount Everest. Bahl, who currently resides in Gurugram, scaled the peak with the help of two Sherpas and was felicitated at the Indian embassy in Kathmandu.
- She already conquered six out of the seven highest peaks in the world.
6. CRY receives USD 100,000 grant from Oracle:-
- The non-governmental child rights organization, Child Rights and You (CRY) announced on May 30, 2018, that it has received a USD 100,000 grant from global technology major Oracle for a digitally enhanced monitoring system that would potentially improve lives of underprivileged children across 19 states.
- The USD 100,000 grant aims to harness the power of state-of-the-art digital technology in reaching out to underprivileged children of India.
- This system will potentially improve lives spanning across 19 states of India and covers 2,060 villages, 2 lakh households and 4.13 lakh, children.
7. 1.5 lakh affordable houses sanctioned for urban poor under PMAY (urban):-
- The Union Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs has approved the construction of another 1.5 lakh affordable houses for the benefit of urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) with an investment of Rs.7,227cr with central assistance of Rs.2,209 cr.
- The approval was given in the 34th meeting of the Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee, held in Delhi on May 30, 2018.