Current Affairs of 30 August 2018 following as:-
1. Google unveils new platform Navlekha for Indic language publishers:-
- Search engine giant Google launched Project Navlekha to make online content relevant for more Indian users, especially in local languages.
- It was unveiled along with the host of upgrades of Google’s other products at fourth ‘Google for India’ event held in New Delhi.
- Navlekha is the word derived from Sanskrit meaning “a new way to write.” This project aims to bring 135000 local language publishers online by making web hosting smooth and simple.
- It will allow local publishers who do not have websites to make their offline content fit for online publishing in less than a minute.
- It also comprises a tool that uses Artificial Intelligence (AI) to allow publishers to simply scan documents or PDFs and create instant web pages on the platform.
2. Arunachal Cabinet Passed Bill for Creation of 3 Districts:-
- The Arunachal Pradesh Assembly passed a Bill for the creation of three new districts, namely Pakke-Kesang, Lepa Rada, Shi Yomi, in the State. Deputy Chief Minister Chowna Mein had introduced the Arunachal Pradesh Re-Organisation of Districts (Amendment) Bill, 2018, in the House.
3. World’s smallest medical robot sets Guinness record:-
- America Scientists have made a new Guinness World Record by developing the world’s smallest medical robot.
- The robot is only 120nanometerss in size. It would help in cancer and Alzheimer’s treatments in the future.
4. Russia successfully conducts a test launch of a new interceptor missile:-
- Russian military successfully conducted a test launch of a new interceptor missile for Russia’s missile defense system.
- The test was conducted at the test site of Sary-Shagan in the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- The interceptor missile successfully performed its task and hit the simulated target with the specified precision.
- The Defense Ministry previously reported about successful trials of Russia’s new antimissile in February, April, and July.
5. Cabinet Approved Rupees 1,623 Crore to Set up more Disaster Warning Systems:-
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs cleared at an outlay of Rupees 1,623 crore to get more disaster warning systems and desalination plants along Indian coasts.
- The system will be functioning under the programme called O-SMART (Ocean Servies, Technology, Observations, Resource Modelling and Science). O-SMART is monitored by the Union earth Sciences Ministry.
- It provides economic benefits to a number of user communities in the coastal and ocean sectors, namely, fisheries, offshore industry, coastal States, defence, shipping, ports, etc.
6. World Bank to provide $250 million in loans to Rajasthan:-
- The Government of India, the Government of Rajasthan and the World Bank signed a $250 million Development Policy Loan (DPL) to support the Government of Rajasthan in improving the performance of its Electricity Distribution Sector under the State’s 24×7 Power for All program.
7. Government to launch National Mission on Gem in September:-
- The National Mission on Government e Marketplace (GeM) will be launched on September 5, 2018, to accelerate the adoption and use of GeM by major central ministries, state governments, and their agencies.
- The main aim of the mission is to promote inclusiveness, transparency, and efficiency in public procurement and to achieve a cashless, contactless and paperless transaction.
8. Union Government asks states to ban e-cigarettes:-
- Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare issued the advisory to all states and Union Territories to not allow manufacture, sale, and advertisement of e-cigarettes and other Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS).
- It issued warning that use e-cigarettes and other ENDS devices pose the great health risk to the public at large, especially to children and pregnant women.
- Punjab, Karnataka, Kerala, Mizoram, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar already have prohibited manufacture, import, sale, and distribution of e-cigarettes and ENDS.
9. Former India Opener Rajput Appointed as the head coach of Zimbabwe National Cricket:-
- Lalchand Rajput was earlier appointed as the interim head coach of Zimbabwe in May for the tri-series involving Pakistan and Zimbabwe and for the ODI rubber against Pakistan. Rajput played 2 Tests and 4 ODIs for India and was a consistent performer for Mumbai in the Ranji Trophy.
10. Union Government Constitutes New Science and Technology Council to Advise Prime Minister:-
- The council will be headed by K Vijay Raghavan, the principal scientific adviser to the Union Government. The council has been named as Prime Minister’s Science and Technology and Innovation Advisory Committee (PM-STIAC).