Current Affairs of 29 October 2018 are as follows:-
1. India Doubles Its Presence In QS Asia Ranking 2019:-
- According to a report named QS Asia University Rankings 2019 by Quacquarelli Symonds, India doubled their presence in the ranking.
- India has the third largest number of universities and institutes (75), after mainland China (112) and Japan (89).
- The National University of Singapore has been assessed as Asia’s best university. IIT-Bombay remains the highest ranked institution. It moved one place to the 33rd position.
2. Gujarat First Mega Food Park Inaugurated In Surat:-
- Union Minister for Food Processing Industries Smt Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurated the first Mega Food Park in Gujarat. It is located at Village Shah and Vasravi, Taluka Mangrol, District Surat.
- A 2nd Mega Food Park has been sanctioned by the Ministry in Mehsana District of Gujarat.
3. Indian Railways plans to use aircraft-like pressurised railway coaches in Leh:-
The Indian Railways plans to use aircraft-like pressurized coaches in its trains for the Bilaspur-Manali-Leh line along the India-China border, which will be the world’s highest rail track so that passengers do not have breathing difficulties on board.
At a height of 5,360 meters above the sea level, the 465-km strategically significant line to be built at a cost of Rs 83,360 crore, will see railways’ first pressurized coaches which are currently used only in the Quinghay-Tibet Railway Line in China.
4. Britain slaps fine worth 500,000 pounds on Facebook:-
- Britain's Information Commissioner has slapped Facebook with a fine worth 500,000 pounds for its behavior in the Cambridge Analytica scandal.
- The ICO's investigation found that between 2007 and 2014, Facebook processed the personal information of users unfairly by giving app developers access to their information without informed consent.
- The fine was the maximum allowed under the law at the time the breach occurred.
- The social media companies have come under pressure globally following allegations that political consultancy firm Cambridge Analytica used data from tens of millions of Facebook accounts to profile voters and help US President Donald Trump's 2016 election campaign.
5. JNU to launch community radio station:-
- People residing close to the JNU campus here might soon get the opportunity to be on air with the university all set to launch a community radio station as part of its "social responsibility".
- The community radio will cater to residents of areas such as Ber Sarai, Munirka, Kishangarh, Hauz Khas Village, Vasant Vihar cluster areas and Mahipalpur.
- The SCDR at the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) will ink an agreement with the Indian Institute of Mass Communication to start the community radio service.
- The project is a part of the university’s social responsibility. It will involve discussions with the elderly or discussions with local ward councilors, residents of the area to know about the primary issues.
6. KAU initiated a mission to rejuvenate hill garlic:-
- The Kerala Agricultural University (KAU) has initiated a study on the farming practices of garlic followed in the hills of Kanthalloor and Vattavada areas of Idukki district of Kerala.
- This move is to promote the variety Malai poondu or hill garlic that is on the verge of extinction. Malai poondu or hill garlic are known for its unique flavor, pungency, taste, medicinal properties, and longer shelf life, that is 180 days.
- Due to a long duration of cultivation, the tribal farmers of the area started to cultivate hybrid varieties or short duration, 90 to 120 days, varieties.
- The study by KAU said that the major problems faced by the hill garlic cultivation are the small size of the bulb, lack of awareness on scientific cultivation practices and wild animal attack.
- KAU also suggested that by following scientific practices, the crop duration can be reduced.
7. Chinese privately developed rocket failed after launch:-
- A privately developed Chinese carrier rocket failed to reach orbit after lifting off from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center, Mongolia. Beijing-based Landscape developed Zhuque-1, a three-stage rocket.
- It is said that the first and second stage of ZQ-1 rocket worked normally. But an error occurred after the second stage. Zhuque-1 carried a satellite named “Future” which was built for state media China Central Television.
- The landscape is the first private licensed company in China to launch carrier rockets.
8. Archaeologists find Bronze Age ruins in China:-
- A team of archaeologists revealed on October 28, 2018, that they have unearthed Bronze Age ruins including the remains of ancient houses and ash pits along with animal bones, bronze ware and stone tools in China's Jilin province.
- The finds were discovered on a sand dune near Dajinshan village in Shuangliao city, according to the School of Archaeology of Jilin University. The ruins are around 150 meters long and 100 meters wide.
- The ruins might serve as evidence of a living and fishing place for ancient people near the Eastern Liaohe River based on large quantities of unearthed life utensils, animal bones, fishbones, mussels, and shellfish.