Current Affairs of 29 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. Casio launches world’s first GST calculator:-
- Japanese electronics company ‘CASIO’ launched world’s first Goods and Services Tax (GST) calculator in India for simplifying the GST calculations for tax payers.
- These GST calculators feature built-in GST tabs for all five tabs- 0%, 5%, 12%, 18% and 28%.
- It includes separate buttons for GST slabs to reduce time required for processing invoice.
- The company has two variants of GST calculators MJ-120GST and MJ-12GST in the Indian market.
- These new GST calculators will provide solutions for GST based invoicing.
2. Chairman of UPSC is appointed as Arvind Saxena:-
- Saxena will have a tenure till August 7, 2020, when he attains the age of 65 years.
- He has been working as acting head of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) since June 20. He took over charge from Vinay Mittal who had completed his term.
- Saxena joined the UPSC as a member on May 8, 2015. Prior to joining the UPSC, he was working as director of the Aviation Research Centre (ARC).
3. CSIR To Establish A High-End Skill Development Centre In Chandigarh:-
- CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (CSIR-IMTECH) announced a new partnership with Merck, a leading German science and technology company, to establish a ‘High End Skill Development Centre’ in CSIR-IMTECH, Chandigarh.
- This ‘High End Skill Development Centre’ will enrich skills by conducting workshops, trainings and seminar series on cutting edges life science processes, tools and techniques.
4. Wipro Chairman Azim Premji conferred highest French civilian honour:-
- Indian business tycoon and philanthropist Azim Premji was bestowed with the highest French civilian distinction Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour) in Bengaluru.
- Premji, who is the chairman of Wipro, received the award for his outstanding contribution to developing the information technology industry in India, his economic outreach in France and his laudable contribution to the society as a philanthropist through the Azim Premji Foundation and Azim Premji University.
5. Government launches 'Bhasha Sangam' to introduce school students to 22 Indian languages:-
- The government launched a unique initiative called Bhasha Sangam to introduce school students to 22 Indian languages.
- The initiative, under Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat, was launched on November 22 and will continue till December 21, 2018.
- Bhasha Sangam is a programme for schools and educational institutions to provide multilingual exposure to students in Indian languages.
- Another objective of Bhasha Sangam is to enhance linguistic tolerance and respect and promote national integration.
6. President of India Receives the First Copy of the book Making of New India:-
- The book is edited by the nationalist think-tank Dr. Syama Prasad Mookerjee Research Foundation (SPMRF) and members of the Niti Aayog: Dr. Bibek Debroy, Dr. Anirban Ganguly and Shri Kishore Desai.
- The book contains 51 essays on themes ranging from economy to diplomacy, education to public health.
- The book endeavors to elaborate on how the government has set out to realize the vision of a New India.
7. RBI launches survey on India's startup sector:-
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) launched a Survey on India’s startup sector (SISS) with an endeavor to create a profile of the startup sector in India and provide dimensions relating to turnover, profitability and workforce.
- In a recent NASSCOM-Zinnov report titled “Indian Start-up Ecosystem 2018: Approaching Escape Velocity,”, India has emerged as the third largest startup hub in the world.
- According to the report, Bangalore, Delhi-NCR and Mumbai are the top cities which have seen a tremendous growth in startups, with Bangalore becoming one of the fastest growing technology startup hubs.
8. Defence Minister Smt Nirmala Sitharaman launched Mission Raksha:-
- The main aim is to provide a boost to the Intellectual Property Right (IPR) culture in indigenous defence industry The event showcased the successful outcomes of adopting and utilizing the Intellectual Property Right (IPR) applications which enhanced inventions and innovations among Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs).
- Department of Defence Production and Directorate General Quality Assurance (DGQA) had a significant role in spreading awareness about the benefits of creating the Intellectual Property culture in the defence sector.
9. South Korea tests space rocket engine:-
- South Korea conducted a rocket engine test launch, paving the way for the development of its own space launch vehicle.
- A liquid-fuel engine successfully propelled a single-stage rocket from the Naro Space Center on the country's southern coast.
- It is the first such launch in South Korea since 2013 when the country successfully put a small satellite into orbit following failures in 2009 and in 2010.
- The engine, designed and developed by the Korea Aerospace Research Institute, will be used to propel the country's first indigenous three-stage launch vehicle 'Korea Space Launch Vehicle-2' (KSLV-2).
10. Vijay Varma and P. Rajkumar were awarded the Asian of The Year awards:-
- Indian Navy commander Vijay Varma and Captain P. Rajkumar were among those honored at the ‘Asian of The Year’ awards at Singapore on 28th November. The two were acknowledged for their selfless service and bravery in rescue operations during the Kerala floods. They were awarded for their death-defying rescue flying during the floods in Kerala earlier this year.
- Others awarded included the ASEAN Coordinating Centre for Humanitarian Assistance on Disaster Management (AHA Centre), and Singapore NGO Mercy Relief, who operated amid large-scale flooding, earthquakes and a variety of other disasters.