Current Affairs of May 29, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Sangeeta Bahl: Oldest Indian woman to scale Mount Everest:-
- Sangeeta Bahl, at the age of 53, has become the oldest Indian woman to scale the Mount Everest.
- She scaled the peak on May 19, 2018, with the help of 2 Sherpas.
- She carried a banner to the peak advocating early detection of breast cancer in women & funding for the same.
- She has already conquered 6 out of the 7 highest peaks of the world.
2. Akshay Kumar Launches Twin Pit Toilet Technology Campaign:-
- The finest Film actor Akshay Kumar launched the twin pit toilet technology campaign in New Delhi.
- The actor appealed everybody to spread the awareness on the issue and make the cleanliness drive more effective.
- The twin pit toilet technology is an Indian invention that collects defecation for a period of five years and then it turns into a valuable organic compost.
3. Himachal Pradesh Government to promote Organic Farming:-
- The Himachal Pradesh government recently launched the ‘Prakritik Kheti Khushhaal Kisaan Yojana’ (PKKKY) to promote organic farming.
- The government will undertake an integrated approach to promoting organic and zero budget natural farming system.
- PKKKY will enhance agricultural income through the adoption of the low-cost climate-resilient farming system.
4. The main Event Of 4th International Yoga Day Celebrations To Be Held At Dehradun:-
- The main event of 4th International Yoga Day celebrations will be held at Dehradun in Uttrakhand on 21st of June.
- Secretary AYUSH Ministry Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha announced that Dehradun has been selected as the venue for Mass Yoga Demonstration of International Yoga Day.
- Mr. Kotecha is in Dehradun to initiate the preparations regarding this mega event.
5. RBI appoints Sudha as its first Chief Financial Officer:-
- Sudha Balakrishnan was appointed as the first Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- Prior to this appointment, Balakrishnan, a chartered accountant, was serving as the Vice-President of the NSDL, India’s first and largest depository.
- She will be the 12th executive director at RBI and will serve a three-year term.
6. Colombia To Be NATO's 1st Latin American Global Partner:-
- Colombia would be formally joining the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
- The announcement was made by the Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
- With the move, Colombia will become the first Latin American nation to be a part of the alliance.
- It would be joining the bloc as a ‘global partner’, which means it will not necessarily have to take part in any joint military action and will be fully accredited in Brussels.
7. Netherlands PM launches ‘Clean Air India Initiative’:-
- Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte launched the ‘Clean Air India Initiative’ in Delhi.
- The Clean Air India Initiative is a project between ‘Get In The Ring’, a platform for start-ups, the Government of the Netherlands, Start-up India and INDUS Forum.
- The campaign aims to curb air pollution in Indian cities by promoting partnerships between Indian start-ups and Dutch companies.
8. Tripura Government to phase out plastic carry bags:-
- The Tripura government has set August 15 as the deadline to phase out plastic carry bags completely from the state, as part of the ‘Himalayan Cleanup’ programme.
- The government urged people to replace their plastic bags with biodegradable ones.
- The Himalayan Cleanup campaign was launched in 12 mountain states in the country to end plastic pollution in the hilly areas.
9. DAC Approves Procurement Of Equipment For Defence Forces:-
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC), chaired by Raksha Mantri Smt Nirmala Sitharaman, met in New Delhi and accorded approval for the procurement of equipment for the Defence Forces valued at over Rs. 6900 crores.
- The DAC approved procurement of Thermal Imaging (TI) Night Sights for the Rocket Launcher (RL) used by the Army and the Air Force under ‘BUY (Indian) IDDM’ category through established Indian Vendors.
10. Google Doodle honors S P L Sorensen, the creator of the pH scale:-
- Google Doodle on May 29, 2018, honored Danish biochemist Soren Peder Lauritz Sorensen, who was responsible for introducing the pH scale.
- Sorensen, while working as the head of the Carlsberg Laboratory in Copenhagen, derived the pH scale to measure the acidity of a substance.
- The first paper in which he used the pH scale described two methods of measuring alkalinity, the first based on electrodes and the second studying preselected indicators and comparing color samples.