Current Affairs of June 29, 2018, are described as:-
1. Rani Rampal to lead Indian Women's Hockey team in 2018 World Cup:-
- Rani Rampal was announced as the captain of Indian Women’s Hockey team for the World Cup London 2018. Goalkeeper Savita has been named vice-captain.
- Hockey India announced the 18-member Indian women’s team for the prestigious World Cup tournament to be played in London in July 2018.
- India has been placed in Pool B alongside hosts and world no. 2 England, world no. 7 USA and world no. 16 Ireland.
2. National Statistics Day 2018 observed in India:-
- The National Statistics Day was observed across India on June 29, 2018, with an aim to create public awareness about the importance of statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation.
- This year celebrations of the Day marked the closing ceremony of year-long celebrations of the 125th birth anniversary of Late Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis. June 29, 2017, marked the beginning of the 125th year of birth of Prof. Mahalanobis.
- The celebrations were attended by Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu, West Bengal Governor Keshari Nath Tripathi, Union Minister for Statistics & Programme Implementation DV Sadananda Gowda, ISI President Dr. Vijay Kelkar and ISI Council Chairman Prof Goverdhan Mehta.
3. Kanwaljeet Jawa appointed as board member of Daikin:-
- Daikin Industries Ltd has appointed its India operations MD & CEO Kanwaljeet Jawa into the board of the parent company.
- Kanwaljeet Jawa will be the first Indian on the Daikin Industries board. He will be a part of the 10 member board council.
- Kanwaljeet Jawa joined Daikin India in 2010 as the COO. He was then promoted as the MD & CEO of the Company.
4. Ayush Ministry to introduce Ayurvedic medicine as a subject for Sanskrit students:-
- Ayush Ministry is in the process of introducing Ayurvedic medicine as a subject for Sanskrit students.
- This subject will help in identifying the medicines and ayurvedic practices from the Sanskrit scriptures that are unexplored.
- Students who have completed Plus Two in Sanskrit will be introduced to Ayurveda as a subject.
- The Ministry also announced that the research institutes under the Ministry are in advanced stage of preparing a medicine for the viral disease Dengue. The two-stage experiments have shown promising results in this direction.
5. Dutee Chand sets new national record in women's 100m:-
- Odisha’s Dutee Chand set a new national record in the women’s 100m race when she clocked 11.29 seconds at the 58th National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championships being held at Sarusajai Stadium, Guwahati, Assam.
- The previous record of 11.30 seconds was also set by Dutee at the Indian Grand Prix in 2017. Dutee has qualified for the Asian Games in 100m and 200m by breaching the qualifying timings at the Inter-State Championships.
6. India ranks 35th on Global Real Estate Transparency Index 2018:-
- India was ranked 35th among 100 countries (countries) in recently released Global Real Estate Transparency Index (GRETI).
- The index was released by realty consultant JLL.
- India was ranked 36th in the index during the last bi-annual survey conducted in 2016 and 40th in 2014.
- The top 10 countries are United Kingdom (1st), Australia (2nd), United States (3rd), France (4th), Canada (5th), Netherlands (6th), New Zealand (7th), Germany (8th), Ireland (9th) and Sweden (10th).
7. Hyderabad may house first government Blockchain center:-
- The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) along with the Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) and Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI), Mumbai submitted a proposal to set up a Centre of Excellence for blockchain technology in Hyderabad to drive innovation.
- The technology will be used to secure land records in Telangana. After this, the C-DAC’s Hyderabad unit will be the first one by the government for blockchain technology.
8. Bollywood Actress Sonakshi Sinha joins UNESCO:-
- Sonakshi Sinha joins UNESCO to promote safe & secure online environment for children and help empower our future digital citizens.
- Stressing on the importance of education on the safe use of online spaces, the actress said it will equip boys and girls to be prepared to report any type of abuse or exploitation.
9. Government institutes Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal:-
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) approved institution of Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal.
- It also has instituted three more Medals- Antarik Suraksha Medal, Asadharan Aashuchan Padak, and Utkrisht & Ati-Utkrisht Seva Medal. These medals will be awarded annually.
- The Home Minister’s Special Operation Medal and Asadharan Aashuchan Padak will be awarded on Independence Day (15th August), while Antarik Suraksha Medal and Utkrisht & Ati-Utkrisht Seva Medal will be announced on Republic Day (26th January).
- There will be no limit or quota for awarding HM’s Special Operation Medal, Asadharan Aashuchan Padak, and Antarik Suraksha Medal.
10. NASA To Launch World's Lightest Satellite Designed By Chennai Students:-
- The first-year engineering students Harikrishna, P Amarnath, G Sudhi and T Giri Prasad from Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science near Chennai built the 4cm ‘cube’ satellite 'Jaihind-1S' with a 3D printed outer casing from polylactic acid (PLA) nylon material, making it lighter than a medium sized egg, at just 33.39 grams.
- The satellite has been designed and fabricated for the ‘Cubes in Space’ competition conducted by Colorado Space Grant Consortium, NASA, and doodle-learning. It will be flown on a scientific balloon up to an altitude of 70km.
- This satellite will be launched from a NASA facility in the US by August.
11. Jio becomes India's second largest telco by revenue:-
- According to TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India), Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio surpass Vodafone India as the country’s second largest operator in terms of "access service gross revenue" at INR62.2 billion ($903 million).
- Market leader Bharti Airtel still in No:1 with revenue of INR70.8 billion.
- Reliance Jio entered the Indian market in September 2016 and quickly attracted subscribers with attractive pricing and discounts that effectively provided free voice and data access.
12. Madhya Pradesh awarded for reducing maternal mortality:-
- Madhya Pradesh awarded for reducing maternal mortality under Prime Minister's Safe Motherhood Campaign.
- The Prime Minister’s Safe Motherhood Campaign has been launched to ensure quality care of over 3 crore pregnant women of the country before delivery.
- Madhya Pradesh has registered an unprecedented 48-digit decline in maternal deaths as per the report of the Registrar General of India from 2014 to 2016.
- The maternal mortality rate was 221 in the year 2011-13, which has now dropped down further to just 173.