Current Affairs of 29 August 2018 following as:
1. National Sports Day 2018 celebrated all over in India:-
- India on August 29, 2018, observed the National Sports Day 2018 to mark the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Major Dhyan Chand who was born on August 29, 1905.
- Every year on this day, the President of India confers National sports and adventure awards including Arjuna and Khel Ratna to celebrate the achievements of exceptional athletes in the country.
- However, this year, the date has been postponed to September 25, 2018, in the wake of ongoing Asian Games 2018. Indian athletes are participating in the Asian Games 2018, taking place at Jakarta, Indonesia.
2. Google to display technology in Indian vernacular languages:-
- Google plans to introduce technology and product experiences which are locally relevant to users in India in vernacular languages.
- It has been observed, so far, that the majority of Internet users are Indian language users, a number expected to reach 500 million-plus in the next two years.
- Earlier, Google launched ‘Project Navlekha’ which helps to easily make offline content fully editable and publish on a branded domain without expert digital knowledge.
- The search feed will now also display users’ topics of interest and news, from both English and Hindi sources.
3. ISRO unveils Gaganyaan Mission to put Indians in space before 2022:-
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) unveiled the details of the Gaganyaan mission for manned space flight before 2022.
- The Gaganyaan mission was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his 72nd Independence Day speech.
- PM Modi announced that this manned space mission will take Indian astronauts to space on board 'Gaganyaan' by 2022. Prior to the actual launch of this manned mission by 2022, the ISRO will launch two unmanned Gaganyaan missions.
4. Tamil Nadu CM inaugurated India's tallest Film Studio:-
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami has inaugurated India's tallest Film Studio named 'MGR Centenary Film Studio'.
- The 56 feet tall, 110 meters long and 100 feet wide studio was constructed using funds collected by the Federation of Film Employees Union of South India (FEFSI), at Paiyanur.
- The studio is named after former Chief Minister M.G. Ramachandran.
5. Government to launch India Post Payments banks at 650 places:-
- The Union Government is planning to launch India Post Payment Banks-IPPB at 650 places. The information was shared by Communications Minister Manoj Sinha.
- The Minister said that savings accounts, current accounts, money transfer, enterprise and merchant payments will be the highlights of the India Post Payment Banks.
- The Minister also said that by December 2018, the IPPBs will provide doorstep banking at rural areas and with the help of National Payment Corporation of India and RBI, IPPB will give last mile connectivity to banking.
- The Minister also added that presently there is 17 lakh postal saving accounts and efforts are on to give these saving accounts holders to avail benefits of IPPB.
6. India bagged 2 medals in Kurash at the Asian Games 2018:-
- India’s Pincky Balhara and Malaprabha Jadhav won silver and bronze respectively in 52 Kg category Kurash at the Asian Games 2018. Kurash is a form of wrestling indigenous to Central Asia.
- It combines the skills of judo and wrestling. The 19-year-old Pincky lost 0-10 to Gulnor Sulaymanova of Uzbekistan in the gold medal clash to get the silver.
7. First SAARC Agri Cooperative Business Forum begins in Kathmandu:-
- The first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Agri Cooperative Business Forum began in Kathmandu on August 28, 2018.
- The theme of three-day Forum is the 'Organizing and Strengthening Family Farmers’ Cooperatives to attain the Sustainable-Development-Goals-1 and 2 in South Asia'.
- It is being co-organised by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and Asian Farmers’ Association with the support from the International Fund for Agricultural Development.
8. Manjit Singh wins India's first gold in 800m since 1982 Asiad:-
- India's 28-year-old sprinter Manjit Singh won the gold medal in the men's 800m event at the 2018 Asian Games, securing the ninth gold for the country.
- Another Indian sprinter Jinson Johnson, who is ranked first in Asia, won the silver medal at the same event.
- Manjit clocked 1:46.15 while Johnson clocked 1:46.35 to make it a memorable double for India.
- Manjit’s gold was also the first after Charles Bor Romeo's feat in the 1982 Asian Games.
9. Sushma Swaraj inaugurated 'Jaipur Foot' camp in Vietnam capital Hanoi:-
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj who is on a four-day two-nation tour of South East Asia which includes Vietnam and Cambodia, presented free India-made prosthetic limbs for 500 Vietnamese beneficiaries.
- Last month, it was announced in Jaipur that about 1,000 differently-abled people in Myanmar and Vietnam would be provided ‘Jaipur Foot’.
10. India's first interstate connected wind power project commissioned in Bhuj:-
- 126 MW wind power capacity, part of country's first Inter-State Transmission System(ISTS) auction, is commissioned in Bhuj, Gujarat.
- The energy generated from this project is being purchased by Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh.
- This was a 1,000 MW bid for projects to be connected on ISTS (inter-state transmission system) wherein power generated from one state (renewable resource-rich state) could be transmitted to other renewable deficient states.