Current Affairs of 29 & 30 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. Pakistan Cabinet approved to issue 'Panda bond' in Chinese currency:-
- The federal cabinet approved the issuance of Pakistan’s first renminbi-denominated bonds to raise loans from Chinese capital markets, as the country gradually moves towards giving the Chinese currency status at par with that enjoyed by the US dollar.
- The interest rate may range above 5.5% but the final price can only be determined at the time of launching the bond.
- The Philippines has also raised RMB1.46 billion through renminbi-denominated bonds at an interest rate of 4.75%.
- In the Long-term Plan of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (2017-30) both countries had decided to use renminbi as the second international currency to lessen Pakistan’s reliance on the dollar.
2. Telangana State cancer institute achieved two world records:-
- Telangana State Department of Health, Medical and Family Welfare and the MNJ Institute of Oncology achieved two world records, the Guinness World Records and High Range World Records by the cancer institute.
- Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao has congratulated and described it as one of the biggest achievements for Telangana government.
- MNJ is the first and only government hospital to achieve two world records. MNJ Institute of Oncology organized the largest men’s gathering of health awareness of prostate cancer in Hyderabad on October 26 this year. The awareness programme, held on Cancer Day, saw the participation of 487 men.
3. World's busiest single-runway airport after Mumbai sold for USD 3.7 bn:-
- French infrastructure giant Vinci has agreed to acquire control of London's Gatwick Airport, the world's second-busiest single runway airport after Mumbai, for $3.7 billion.
- Vinci, which manages 45 airports in 12 countries including Chile and Cambodia, will own a 50.01% stake in Gatwick Airport.
- The purchase comes ahead of the UK's departure from the European Union on March 29.
4. ISRO chairman K.Sivan was awarded gold medal by SSI:-
- ISRO chairman K.Sivan was presented the National Systems Gold Medal by the Systems Society of India (SSI) during the 42nd National Systems Conference held in Thiruvananthapuram.
- The medal acknowledges his outstanding contributions to system science and engineering. B.N. Suresh, the Chancellor, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), presented the medal at a function held at the VSSC.
5. Chagari Praveen Kumar appointed as Chief Justice of new Andhra HC:-
- He will become acting Chief Justice of AP High Court, with effect from Jan 1, 2019.
- Earlier, the Union Law Ministry issued an order signed by President Ram Nath Kovind, which said Andhra Pradesh will have its own High Court at its capital Amaravati and the Hyderabad High Court shall become High Court for Telangana.
6. Women's National Boxing Championship to begin from 31 Dec in Karnataka:-
- The tournament will be held at the JSW Sports' Inspire Institute of Sports, which was recently inaugurated by Olympic gold-medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra.
- The championship will feature more the 300 of the nation's best female boxers, aged between 19 and 40, across 10 weight categories.
7. Tripura government approved NCERT syllabus in schools:-
- The Tripura government approved the proposal for replacing the school syllabus prevalent under the previous Left Front regime with the NCERT curriculum in all the State-run and aided schools from the next academic session, beginning April 2019.
- It had also suggested the implementation of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) syllabus across all government and government-aided schools in the State.
- The government had also decided to bring an ordinance to constitute a State-level higher education board in accordance with the directives of the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development.
8. National Childrens Science Congress Begins In Bhubaneswar:-
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated 26th edition of National Children’s Science Congress in Bhubaneswar in which as many as 800 students from ten Asian and seven Gulf countries are participating.
- This year’s theme is ‘Science, Technology and Innovations: For clean, green and healthy nation'.
9. Bombay HC approved Sunburn festival:-
- The Bombay High Court gave clearance to the annual Sunburn music festival in Pune provided norms regarding noise pollution and prohibition of underage drinking was followed at the three-day event.
- The festival is to take place in Pune from December 29 to 31. The judgement comes after the Public Interest Litigation (PIL) filed by a BJP corporator, seeking that the authorities be directed to ensure that noise pollution norms are followed by the organisers.
- The PIL also wanted the court to prohibit consumption of alcohol by underage revellers.
- A vacation bench of Justice Bharati Dangre directed local police and civic authorities to ensure that noise norms and other laws are followed at the Electronic Dance Music (EDM) event.
10. Cabinet approved the draft National Commission for Homoeopathy Bill:-
- The Union Cabinet approved the draft National Commission for Homoeopathy Bill, 2018. The Bill seeks to replace the existing regulator Central Council of Homoeopathy with a new body to ensure transparency and accountability. The Bill aims to bring reforms in the medical education of Homoeopathy.
- The Bill also aims at bringing reforms in the medical education of homoeopathy in line with the National Medical Commission proposed for setting up for allopathy system of medicine.
- The draft Bill provides for the constitution of a National Commission with three autonomous boards entrusted with the conduct of education of Homoeopathy by Homoeopathy Education Board.