Current Affairs of July 27, 2018, are as follows:-
1. KTDC launches country's first State-Run All-Woman Hotel:-
- KDTC:- Kerala Tourism Development Corporation
- The Project of KDTC as a hotel which is named as hostess launched by Kerala Tourism minister Kadakampally Surendran.
- The hotel will come up within six months at the KTDC complex.
- India's public sector hotel run entirely by women for women is claimed to be the first such in the country.
- The project was a 'milestone initiative' of KTDC, considering its purpose, security features, and facilities of global standards at affordable rates.
2. Vodafone-Idea merger gets final Government approval:-
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) on July 27, 2018, gave the final approval to the merger of Vodafone India and Idea Cellular.
- The approval for Vodafone-Idea merger came days after Idea Cellular and Vodafone India jointly paid Rs. 7,268.78 crores 'under protest' to the DoT.
- With this approval, both the entities will now approach Registrar of Companies (RoC) for stipulated filings for approval, completing the last leg of formalities.
- The merged identity will be known as ‘Vodafone Idea’ that will create India's largest mobile-phone company. Kumar Mangalam Birla, Chairman of Aditya Birla Group, will be the Non-Executive Chairman of Vodafone Idea while Balesh Sharma, Chief Operating Officer of Vodafone India, will be the CEO.
3. Sports Journalist Swapan Sarkar passed away:-
- The 67 years old Veteran sports journalist Swapan Sarkar passed away due to diabetic complications.
- He worked for a number of dailies and was also the Delhi sports correspondent of Ananda Bazaar Patrika (ABP) from mid-1990's.
- He was a regular in the Delhi sports circuit having covered events like 1982 Asian Games, 2010 Commonwealth Games along with tournaments like Nehru Cup, Federation Cup, Durand Cup and DCM.
- He has covered events like Davis Cup, National Athletics meet. His last rites were performed at the Nigambodh Ghat.
4. Sixth India-UK Science & Innovation Council Meeting Held In New Delhi:-
- The 6th India-UK Science & Innovation Council (SIC) meeting held in New Delhi discussed a range of issues on S&T cooperation between the two countries.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences & Environment, Forests and Climate Change, India and Mr. Sam Gyimah, Minister for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, UK led the Indian and UK delegations respectively.
5. Mithali Raj becomes first Indian to score 2,000 runs in T20 International:-
- Mithali Raj has become the first Indian to score 2,000 runs in T20 International Cricket.
- She achieved the landmark during India's seven-wicket win over Sri Lanka in the Women's Asia Cup T20 at Kaula Lumpur. Mithali has 2,015 runs from 75 matches.
- She is the seventh woman to reach 2,000 runs in T20 format. The list is headed by England cricketer Charlotte Edwards with 2,605. India men's team captain Virat Kohli with 1,983 runs is the next on the list, followed by Rohit Sharma and Suresh Raina.
6. Venkaiah Naidu is appointed as the Chancellor of Pondicherry University:-
- Vice-President M. Venkaiah Naidu is appointed as the Chancellor of Pondicherry Central University by the President, Ram Nath Kovind, in his capacity as Visitor of the university. The term of the Chancellor will be five years.
7. NASA to launch world's first mission to touch the Sun:-
- Mankind's first mission to the Sun, Parker Solar Probe, a car-sized probe, will study the Sun closer than any human-made object ever has.
- This mission is expected to take off no earlier than August 6. This probe will swoop to within 4 million miles of the solar surface, facing heat and radiation like no spacecraft before.
- Parker Solar Probe will explore the corona, a region of the Sun only seen from Earth when the Moon blocks out the Sun's bright face during total solar eclipses.