Current Affairs of 27 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. P V Bharathi appointed Corporation Bank MD & CEO:-
- She will take over the charge on or after February 1, 2019, and remain in the post till March 31, 2020.
- Prior to this elevation, Bharathi was an Executive Director at Canara Bank. Meanwhile, the Centre has also approved the appointment of K Ramachandran as Executive Director of Allahabad Bank. Balakrishna Alse has now been appointed as Executive Director of Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC).
2. RBI constitutes Expert Committee headed by Bimal Jalan on Economic Capital Framework:-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), in consultation with the Union Government, constituted an Expert Committee on Economic Capital Framework. The Committee will be headed by Bimal Jalan, while, former secretary Rakesh Mohan was named as the Vice Chairman.
- The panel will decide on the appropriate size of reserves that the RBI should maintain and the dividend it should give to the government.
- The decision regarding the constitution of the Committee was taken by the Central Board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its meeting held on November 19, 2018.
3. Former Union minister Jai Narain Prasad Nishad passed away at 88:-
- Nishad was a four-time Lok Sabha member from Muzaffarpur constituency of Bihar and served as a member of Rajya Sabha between 2004-2008.
- His son Ajay Nishad is an elected Member of Parliament (MP) from Muzaffarpur Lok Sabha constituency itself and belongs to the Bharatiya Janata Party.
4. NITI Aayog releases Second Delta Ranking under Aspirational District Programme:-
- NITI Aayog on December 27, 2018, released the Second Delta Ranking of the Aspirational Districts Programme (ADP). The rankings were released by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
- Virudhunagar District of Tamil Nadu was ranked as the most improved district in the Rankings. The ranking represented the incremental progress made by districts between June 1, 2018, and October 31, 2018.
5. Russia successfully tested hypersonic missile:-
- Russia successfully tested the hypersonic missile system. The hypersonic missile could fly at 20 times the speed of sound and manoeuvre up and down, meaning that it could breach defence systems.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin hailed final tests of a hypersonic missile, which he had earlier said would render existing missile systems obsolete.
- He also said that Russia has a new type of strategic weapon, the intercontinental Avangard system would be ready for use from 2019. Mr.Putin had unveiled features of the Avangard during his annual address in March.
- The final test is after U.S. President Donald Trump announced plans to pull out of a key Cold War-era nuclear weapons pact, the three-decade-old Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).
- Mr.Putin has laid out plans to develop missiles banned under the deal if the U.S. abandons it.
6. CA Kuttappa takes over as India's new chief boxing coach:-
- CA Kuttappa, a Dhronacharya awardee, took over as India’s new chief boxing coach during the beginning of the ongoing national camp, on December 10, 2018. He succeeds veteran boxing coach SR Singh, who has now retired.
- The 39-year-old, who was an assistant coach earlier, is credited with shaping some of the country's most successful boxers such as Vijender Singh, M Suranjoy Singh and Shiva Thapa. The Army man said his elevation was High-Performance Director Santiago Nieva's idea
- Star pugilist Vikas Krishan (75kg), a Commonwealth Games gold-medallist and Asian Games bronze-winner, was left out of the national camp following his decision to sign up with American promoter Bob Arum.
7. Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting inducted into ICC Hall of Fame:-
- Former Australia captain Ricky Ponting became the 25th Australian cricketer to be officially inducted into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).
- A three-time World Cup winner (including two World Cups as captain in 2003 and 2007), Ponting did a lap of honour as part of his induction during the tea break on Day-1 of the Boxing Day Test between India and Australia at MCG.
- In February 2018, he was also inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame.
- Ponting is the highest run scorer for Australia in both Tests and ODIs, with 13,378 runs in the longest format and 13,704 runs in the 50-over format.
8. Centre to rename 3 islands of Andaman and Nicobar:-
- The Centre has reportedly decided to rename Ross Island, Neil Island and Havelock Island in Andaman and Nicobar as Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Island, Shaheed Dweep and Swaraj Dweep respectively. PM Narendra Modi is likely to announce it during his upcoming visit to Port Blair, on 30 December.
- The occasion is to mark the 75th anniversary of Netaji's visit to the islands.