Current Affairs of 27 August 2018 following as:-
1. India’s first flight powered by biofuel lands at IGI Airport:-
- India’s first flight powered by Biofuel landed at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi on August 27, 2018. The test flight had taken off from Dehradun.
- The experiment is first-of-its-kind in India. Its successful implementation provides a significant boost to encourage alternative fuels in transport and aviation sector, as envisaged in the National Biofuel’s Policy.
- India has been attempting to promote biofuels to reduce dependence on fossil fuel. The environment-friendly initiative is expected to reduce the country's import bills.
2. Govt ranks PNB as the best state-run bank for digital transactions:-
- Department of Financial Services report has rated Punjab National Bank (PNB) as number one state-owned bank in terms of digital transactions, with a score of 71.
- Nirav Modi scam-hit PNB bank is also rated as the sixth overall amongst all banks in India for digital performance.
- The bank is fully committed to the Digital India initiative.
3. Indra Nooyi to get Asia Game Changer of the Year award:-
- PepsiCo's India-born Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi will be honored with the 2018 Asia Game Changer of the Year award by global cultural organization Asia Society, in recognition of her business achievements, humanitarian record, and advocacy for women and girls around the world.
- Nooyi recently announced her retirement from PepsiCo's CEO position.
4. Anil Ambani resigned as Director of RNAVAL:-
- Shri Anil D.Ambani has resigned as director Reliance Naval and Engineering Limited (RNAVAL). His resignation is in compliance with provisions of Section 165 of the Companies Act, 2013, prescribing the limit on directorships to only 10 public companies.
- Reliance operates the country’s largest integrated shipbuilding facility. It has license and contracts to build warships.
5. Fame India phase II to be launched in September:-
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch the second phase of the FAME India scheme on September 7, 2018. The scheme offers incentives for mass adoption of electric vehicles with an outlay of Rs 5,500 crore.
- The second phase of the scheme spanning five years will offer a subsidy to all categories of electric vehicles, including two-wheelers, three-wheelers, and four-wheelers including taxis and electric buses that are used in public transportation.
6. MP Government seeks revival of cheetah reintroduction project:-
- The Madhya Pradesh forest department has written to the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) to revive the plan to reintroduce cheetahs in the state's Nauradehi Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The ambitious project, conceived in 2009, had hit a roadblock due to the need for funds.
- The country's last spotted feline died in Chhattisgarh in 1947. Later, the cheetah, which is the fastest land animal, was declared extinct in India in 1952.
- The Wildlife Institute of India (WII) at Dehradun had prepared a Rs 260 crore cheetah re-introduction project around six years ago.
7. Dutee Chand won India's first Asian Games medal in the 100m event after 20 years:-
- Indian sprinter Dutee Chand, 22-year-old from Odisha, clinched a silver medal in women's 100m dash in the 18th Asian Games to win the country's first medal in 20 years in this event.
- India's last medal in this event was the bronze won by Rachita Mistry in 1998 Asian Games.
8. Hima Das bags 400m silver at Asiad breaks a national record:-
- Hima Das became the first Indian sprinter since Manjit Kaur in 2006 to bag silver medal in the women's 400m event at Asian Games.
- The 18-year-old set a new national record by clocking 50.79 seconds in the final, overtaking the 51.00-second record she set earlier.