Current Affairs of July 16, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Ramachandra Guha wrote a new book on Mahatma Gandhi:-
- A book titled "Gandhi: The years that changed the world (1914-1948)" has been written by Ramachandra Guha. This book will be released in September 2018 and narrates the story of Gandhi’s life, from his departure from South Africa to his assassination in 1948.
- This book will be will be published by Penguin Random House India.
- The author has written several bestselling books like “India After Gandhi” and “Gandhi Before India”.
2. The first lake of liquid water is discovered on Mars:-
- A massive underground lake has been detected for the first time on Mars, raising the possibility that more water and even life exists there.
- The lake is about 20 kilometers wide, located under a layer of Martian ice.
- It is the largest body of liquid water ever found on the Red Planet.
- Mars is now cold, barren and dry but used to be warm and wet.
- It is believed that the planet was home to plenty of liquid water and lakes at least 3.6 billion years ago.
3. INAF scientists find the water body on Mars planet:-
- Scientists from the National Institute for Astrophysics, Italy have spotted salt-laden lake under the ice on the southern polar plain of Mars using a radar instrument on an orbiting spacecraft.
- The waterbody is of rounded triangle shape with a diameter of roughly 20 km and located about 1.5 km beneath the ice surface.
- The estimated water temperature is between minus 10 degrees Celsius and minus 70 degrees Celsius.
- The detection was made by using the data collected by the European Space Agency’s Mars Express spacecraft dated between May 2012 and December 2015.
- The Mars Express spacecraft transmits radar pulses that penetrate the Martian surface and ice caps.
4. Media banned inside Karnataka assembly:-
- Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy issued an order to not allow access to media personnel inside the Vidhana Soudha- the state assembly building.
- The movement of journalists and media personnel will be restricted inside the Vidhana Soudha from now onwards on a day-to-day basis.
- This is the first time that such a move has been initiated in Karnataka state assembly.
5. National Sports Day has been postponed to September 25, 2018:-
- The Sports Ministry has postponed the National Sports Day to September 25, 2018.
- It has also announced that the outstanding performances of players at the Asian games could be considered for the National Sports Awards
- Every year, the Sports Day is traditionally celebrated on August 29. But this year, with the Asian Games going on, the ministry has decided to postpone the event this time.
- The Asian Games are scheduled from August 18-September 2. Hence the National Sports Day will be held on September 25.
6. India celebrates the 19th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas:-
- India on July 26, 2018, celebrated the 19th anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas to mark the success of ‘Operation Vijay’ and to remember the supreme sacrifice of the Indian soldiers who lost their lives during the 1999 India-Pakistan Kargil War.
- The day is celebrated on 26 July every year to commemorate India’s victory in the 1999 Kargil War against Pakistan.
- The 73-day war, fought during May – July 1999, had started with the reports that intruders from Pakistan had come deep inside Indian Territory in strategic positions that overlooked the only road link between Srinagar and Leh.
7. West Bengal passes the resolution to change the name of a state to 'Bangla':-
- The ruling Trinamool Congress government placed a proposal in the state assembly to change the name of West Bengal to "Bangla" in all languages.
- The proposal will now be sent to the Home Ministry for approval, and the name of the state will be changed only if the Ministry approves it.
- On August 29, 2016, the state Assembly had passed a resolution to change the name of West Bengal to ‘Bengal’ in English, ‘Bangla’ in Bengali and ‘Bangal’ in Hindi.
- The Union ministry of home affairs rejected the proposal saying that a state cannot have three different names in three different languages.
8. Delhi Government launches the new solar scheme to increase farmers’ income:-
- The state's cabinet of Delhi on July 24, 2018, approved a scheme under which farmers in the national capital will be able to lease out a part of their agricultural land for setting up of solar panels to get additional income.
- The scheme - 'Mukhyanmantri Kissan Aaye Badhotri Solar Yojna’ was approved at a cabinet meeting chaired by the state’s Chief Minister, Arvind Kejriwal.
- Under the scheme, any farmer can rent out not more than one-third of his land to a private firm to set up solar panels at a rate of Rs one lakh per annum per acre.
9. Odisha Government launches Green Mahanadi Mission:-
- Chief Minister of Odisha, Naveen Patnaik launched the 'Green Mahanadi Mission'.
- The CM launched the mission by planting a sapling on the bank of river Mahanadi during his visit to Boudh and Subarnapur districts in western Odisha.
- The 'Green Mahanadi Mission' is a plantation drive under which 2 crore saplings will be planted along the Mahanadi river and its tributaries.
- The main objective of the mission is to stop soil erosion on river banks and recharge the groundwater reserve.
10. Ireland to hold international conference of female parliamentarians:-
- Named "The International Congress of Parliamentary Women's Caucuses" will be held at Dublin Castle on September 9-10 and the event will be attended by an estimated 300 delegates from over 27 countries.
- Thi conference is organized by the Irish Women's Parliamentary Caucus (IWPC), a cross-party forum for female parliamentarians within the Irish parliament.