Current Affairs of 26 December 2018 are as follows:-
1.RBI to soon issue new Rs 20 note:-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon introduce a new Rs 20 currency note with additional features, as per a document of the central bank.
- The central bank has already issued new look currency notes in the denominations of Rs 10, Rs 50, Rs 100 and Rs 500, besides introducing Rs 200 and Rs 2,000 bank notes.
- The new look notes are being introduced since November 2016 under Mahatma Gandhi (New) series. These are different in size and design compared to the notes issued previously.
- The currency notes, except for banned Rs 500 and Rs 1,000, issued under old series continue to remain legal tender.
2. Iraq declares Christmas as a public holiday:-
- The Iraqi government has declared Christmas Day a national holiday across the country.
- The declaration came after the Iraqi Cabinet approved a law to mark December 25 as an official holiday across the country “on the occasion of the birth of Jesus Christ”.
- The Cabinet voted on an amendment to the national holiday's law in the country that Christmas Day is a holiday for all Iraqis and not only for the Christian community, as it had been for decades.
3. Japan announces withdrawal from IWC to resume commercial whaling:-
- Japan on December 26, 201,8 announced its decision to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission and said that it will resume commercial whaling from July 2019. The withdrawal will come into effect by June 30, 2019.
- The announcement comes after Japan failed in a bid earlier this year to convince the IWC to allow it to resume commercial whaling. "We have decided to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission in order to resume commercial whaling in July next year," said a top Japanese government spokesman.
4. China launched the first satellite for space-based broadband to rival Google:-
- The satellite was launched from a Long March 11 carrier rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in north-western China.
- The satellite is the first in the Hongyun project planned by China Aerospace Science and Industry Corp (CASIC).
- The Hongyun project started in September 2016, aims to build a space-based communications network to provide broadband internet connectivity to users around the world, especially those in the underserved regions.
5. Manipur Assembly passed anti-mob violence bill:-
- Manipur Assembly led by CM N Biren Singh passed the 'Manipur Protection from Mob Violence Bill' to reduce the number of mob lynchings in the state.
- The bill recommends life imprisonment for those involved in mob violence if it results in the death of a victim. The assembly also passed the Manipur Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2018 unanimously.
6. UK minister warns drone users of severe punishment:-
- Britain's security minister said that those who use drones either recklessly or for criminal purposes would face severe punishment.
- The Minister said that they are able to now deploy detection systems throughout the UK to combat this threat.
- The comments come days after some drones were sighted near the runway at Gatwick airport leading thousands of passengers stranded ahead of the Christmas holiday.
7. Mithali, Harmanpreet retained as India captains for New Zealand tour:-
- Mithali Raj and Harmanpreet Kaur were named as Indian women's ODI and T20I captains respectively for the tour of New Zealand.
- India will play three ODIs in New Zealand beginning January 24 as part of the ICC Women’s Championship before playing three T20 Internationals.
8. Three States Among Best Performing States Under Maternity Benefit Programme: WCD:-
- Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh were the top three performing states under the maternity benefit programme Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY).
- Minister of State for the Women and Child Development Ministry Virendra Kumar stated PMMVY is a centrally-sponsored scheme under which the cost-sharing ratio between the Centre, states and the Union Territories with the legislation is 60:40.
- For the eight northeastern states and the three Himalayan states, it is 90:10, and 100 per cent central assistance for the Union Territories without the legislation.
9. Atal Ayushman Uttarakhand Yojana launched in Uttarakhand:-
- The Atal Ayushman Uttarakhand Yojana has been launched in Uttarakhand. Under the scheme, each household in the state will be able to avail medical treatment of up to 5 lakh rupees annually.
- The scheme will benefit 23 lakh households and cover 1,350 critical diseases. Launching the Yojna in Dehradun yesterday, Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat distributed scheme-related golden cards to beneficiaries.
- The CM also signed Memoranda of Understanding with private hospitals and announced that soon free of cost OPD facilities will be available for children and elderly people in the state.
10. Union Minister Suresh Prabhu Confers Skoch Golden Jubilee Challenger Award:-
- Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu conferred the Skoch Golden Jubilee Challenger Award at the 55th Skoch Summit in New Delhi. The Skoch Challenger Awards are the highest independently instituted civilian honours.
- The Commerce and Industry Minister was awarded for his contribution to reforms, particularly in the power sector reforms.