Current Affairs of April 26, 2018:-
1.World Press Freedom Index Released in 2018: India is to ab 138th Rank:-
- According to the 2018 World Press Freedom Index compiled by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), India has ranked 138th (falling 2 positions down from 136th in 2017).
- The report blames PM Narendra Modi’s “troll army” for sharing and intensifying hate speeches targeting journalists on social networks.
- India also saw ‘physical violence’ against journalists this year including the murder of journalist Gauri Lankesh in 2017.
- The Top 3 countries in World Press Freedom Index Report are:
3. The Netherlands.
2.PM Embarks on 3-day Visit to China:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi left on a three-day visit to China. Mr. Modi will hold talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping during an informal summit in Wuhan city.
- It is expected that the meeting between Mr. Modi and Mr. Xi will be a milestone in India-China relations.
- This will be Mr. Modi’s fourth visit to China after he came to power in 2014.
3.HRD Ministry Launches the second edition of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan:-
- The Union Human Resource Development Ministry on April 25, 2018, launched the second edition of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan in New Delhi.
- It is a flagship programme of the Ministry of Human Resources Development, with the intention to enrich Rural India.
- Under the program, students from 750 higher educational institutions from across the country will adopt nearby villages and visit them to get acquainted with the regular lifestyle of village people and the problems faced by them in their day to day life.
- The main objective of the program is to enable higher education institutions to work with the people of rural India in identifying development challenges and evolving appropriate solutions for accelerating sustainable development in rural areas.
- Under the program, the knowledge base and resources of the premier institutions of the country will be leveraged to bring in a transformational change in the rural developmental process.
4.Indu Malhotra, first senior woman advocate to become SC Judge:-
- Senior advocate Indu Malhotra is set to become the first woman lawyer to be appointed as Supreme Court Judge.
- The Union Law Ministry has reportedly cleared her name for the position. With the decision, Malhotra will be the first woman lawyer to be directly appointed from the Bar as a Judge in the Apex Court.
- She is expected to be sworn into the new position on April 27, 2018.
- Indu Malhotra is a senior counsel practicing in the Supreme Court of India for the past 30 years.
- The other woman judges appointed to the top court in subsequent years include Justice Sujatha Manohar, Justice Ruma Pal, Justice Gyan Sudha Misra and Justice Ranjana Desai.
5.Forty-Eight Foundation of HUDCO is Celebrated:-
- The Minister of Housing & Urban Development Hardeep Singh inaugurated the 48th Foundation Day of Housing and Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO).
- HUDCO is playing an important role in taking financial inclusion forward in the country, as it is taking care of the housing finance needs of the economically deprived sections.
6.Rivzi gets silver at ISSF World Cup:-
- Shahzar Rizvi clinched India’s first medal at the ISSF World Cup.
- Winning a silver in the 10m air pistol event. Rizvi had won the gold medal in the ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico in March. Russia clinched the gold medal while the bronze went to Bulgaria.
7.M-Awas App for Allotment of GPRA through ASA launched:-
- Hardeep Puri, Minister of State for Housing and Urban Affairs (I/C) launched a Mobile App (m-Awas) for allotment of Government accommodations in General Pool Residential Accommodation (GPRA) in Delhi under the control of the Directorate of Estates.
- The application has been developed by NIC. A total number of 61,317 residential accommodations of various types are available in Delhi which is allotted to the eligible Central Government employees through Automated System of Allotment (ASA), by using login Id and password.
8.Indo-Malaysian Armies to conduct defense exercise HARIMAU SHAKTI 2018:-
- Indian and Malaysian armies will be conducting the joint training exercise ‘HARIMAU SHAKTI 2018’ in the dense forests of Sengai Perdik, Hulu Langat, Malaysia from April 30, 2018, to May 13, 2018.
- Indian contingent will be represented by 4 GRENADIERS, one of the oldest infantry battalions having rich operational experience in conventional as well as counter insurgency warfare.
- The focus of the entire exercise will be on tactical operations in jungle warfare.
- It will not only provide an excellent opportunity to both the armies to sharpen their operational skills but will also contribute to enhancing the strategic partnership between India and Malaysia.
9.BCCI recommends Dravid for Dronacharya, Kohli for Khel Ratna:-
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has recommended former Indian skipper Rahul Dravid’s name for the prestigious Dronacharya award and Virat Kohli’s for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna honor.
- The BCCI had previously stopped sending nominations for Dronacharya awards due to multiple coaches’ at times claiming credit for a player’s success.
- The board has also recommended veteran cricketer Sunil Gavaskar's name for the Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The contribution of all the three nominees to cricket has been phenomenal.
- While Virat Kohli has led the Indian men’s cricket team from the front for quite some time now, Gavaskar's contribution to the sport has been tremendous and almost unmatchable and Dravid, besides being popularly known as ‘the Wall’, coached India’s U-19 team to World Cup victory in early 2018.
10.India to host Asian Weightlifting C’ships:-
- Indian will host the prestigious Asian Weightlifting Championship in 2019. The Championship was awarded to India at the Executive Board Meeting and Congress of the Asian Weightlifting Federation held on April 22 at Urgench, Uzbekistan.