Current Affairs of May 25, 2018, are as follows:-
1. HRD Ministry Launches Samagra Shiksha Scheme:-
- Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar launched 'Samagra Shiksha scheme' for school education.
- The scheme focuses on improving quality of education, enhancing the Learning outcomes and using technology to empower children and teachers.
- An annual grant of 5,000 to 20,000 rupees will be provided for strengthening libraries in schools.
- The scheme will be focused on digital education. Samagra Shiksha is a program that unifies learning from the pre-school to class 12 levels and encapsulates elements of the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, Rashtriya Madhyamika Shiksha Abhiyan, and teacher education.
2. Airtel Payments Bank appoints Anubrata Biswas as MD and CEO:-
- Airtel Payments Bank has appointed Anubrata Biswas as its Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer. Biswas fills the position, which was lying vacant since end-December after Shashi Arora quit the post.
- Prior to joining Airtel Payments Bank, he was the Joint General Manager and Retail Business Head – South India for ICICI Bank.
3. 5th India-CLMV Business Conclave held in Cambodia:-
- The 5th India-CLMV (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam) Business Conclave was held at Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- It was jointly organized by Ministry of Commerce & Industry along with Ministry of Commerce of Cambodia.
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is an institutional partner of the event.
4. India ranks 44th in IMD’s competitiveness rankings:-
- India ranked at 44th place in terms of competitiveness in the annual rankings compiled by International Institute for Management Development (IMD).
- As per the rankings, the US is the most competitive economy, followed by Hong Kong and Singapore in the second and third place.
- Out of the 14 Asian countries on the list, India ranked 12th.
5. Indian Navy conducts Prasthan exercise:-
- Indian Navy conducted an exercise called Prasthan in the Western Offshore Development area in Mumbai.
- The exercise is held once in every 6 months and aims at integrating maritime stakeholders including, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force, ONGC, Customs & Port Trust.
- The drills were focused on fire on an oil platform, Oil spill, search and rescue for crashed helicopters, etc.
6. SIDBI To Extend Direct Funding Facility To VLEs In CSCs:-
- Common Service Centre (CSC) SPV and Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) signed a MoU for providing financial support to CSCs across the country in the presence of Minister of Electronics & IT and Law & Justice, Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- Through the MoU, the SIDBI seeks to extend financial support to the Village Level Entrepreneurs (VLEs) of CSCs, with minimum one year of operation, under the Direct Financing Window of SIDBI.
- Through the MoU, both CSC SPV and SIDBI seek to work together to bring more citizens under the ambit of financial inclusion.
7. Indian Navy commissions fourth ship of Landing Craft Utility MK-IV:-
- The Indian Navy on May 25, 2018, commissioned the IN LCU L54, the fourth ship of Landing Craft Utility MK-IV, into its fleet at Port Blair.
- The ship was commissioned by Vice Admiral GS Pabby, AVSM, VSM and Chief of Materiel. The Commissioning of L-54 is in line with the Union Government’s Make in India initiative.
- IN LCU L54 is the fourth Landing Craft Utility (LCU) Mk-IV class to be inducted into the Indian Navy.
- The ship was indigenously designed and built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers, Kolkata.
- The ship is commanded by Lieutenant Commander Munish Sethi and has a complement of 05 officers, 41 sailors and is capable of carrying 160 troops in addition.
- The ship, carrying 830 tons, is capable of transporting various kinds of combat equipment such as the Main Battle Tank, T72, and other vehicles.
8. Paytm AshaKiran initiative launched to educate women:-
- Paytm announced a programme called Paytm AshaKiran, which aims at educating rural women about financial services.
- It will help in creating new job opportunities in small towns & cities of India.
- Paytm has partnered with United Nations Development Program under its Disha project to mobilize self-help groups and organize workshops.
9. UGC approves online degree, diploma courses from upcoming academic session:-
- The University Grants Commission (UGC) on May 24, 2018, approved new regulations for online courses by universities.
The commission decided that the higher educational institutions and universities will be able to offer graduate, postgraduate and diploma programmes online from the upcoming academic session.
The Institutions can offer online programmes in those disciplines in which they are already offering the same or similar programmes in regular or open and distance learning.
10. WHO, Russia Launch New Campaign For Football World Cup 2018:-
- A new video campaign launched targeting football fans on the occasion of the World Cup 2018 to promote healthier and more active lives.
- The series of videos produced jointly by World Health Organization (WHO), Russia’s Ministry of Health and the 2018 World Cup Russia Local Organising Committee.
- It is one of many joint activities that will be implemented around the month-long World Cup starting from 14th of June.
- The campaign consists of 3 videos, each tackling key health risk issues of Tobacco use, excessive salt consumption, and physical inactivity.