Current Affairs of May 24, 2018, are as follows:-
1. AB De Villiers Retires from International Cricket:-
- Star South African batsman AB de Villiers announced his decision to retire from international cricket with immediate effect.
- In his 14-year career, he played 114 Tests, 228 One-Day Internationals (ODI) and 78 T20 Internationals.
- Some of the Phenomenal Records of ABD are:
The World Record for the fastest ODI 50 (16 balls), 100 (31 balls) and 150 (64 balls), the second highest individual Test score for South Africa (278*), the highest points (935) by a South African on the ICC Test rankings and has claimed the coveted SA Cricketer of the Year award twice (2014 and 2015).
2. State Bank of India reports a loss of Rs. 7,718 crore in March quarter:-
- State Bank of India (SBI), the country’s biggest lender, reported a loss of Rs. 7,718 crore in the January-March quarter, hurt by higher provisions for bad loans.
- The loss for the three months to March 31 was deeper than the expected Rs. 1,285 crore on average by 16 analysts, according to Thomson Reuters data.
3. IRCTC introduces VIKALP scheme:-
- Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation has introduced VIKALP scheme for passengers in wait-listing to provide berth in another train.
- Under the scheme, passengers from all classes & trains would be able to select 5 trains. However, the scheme does not guarantee a confirmed berth.
- The passengers would also need to be prepared, as they could be shifted to another train leaving even 12 hours prior to the booked one.
4. Bank Of Baroda Locates Major Operations At GIFT City:-
- Bank of Baroda successfully located most of its operational activities at a shared service center (SSC) at the GIFT City near Ahmedabad.
- The bank will now offer its services including retail loan processing, deposit account opening, forex and call center from the SSC, which will have a staff strength of 200.
- The bank will thus become one of the largest employers in the Ahmedabad-Gandhinagar region.
- The bank had taken 20,000 sq, ft of office space in GIFT City, making it the first Indian bank to move several key operations to the smart city.
5. NYSE to have its first female leader:-
- The New York Stock Exchange has appointed Chief Operating Officer Stacey Cunningham as its first female president.
- Cunningham will replace Tom Farley as the head of NYSE. She was previously appointed as NYSE’s chief operating officer in June 2015.
- The move means two of the top three US stock exchange operators are led by women.
6. NITI Aayog, ABB India sign Statement of Intent:-
- NITI Aayog and ABB India signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) on May 23, 2018, to support the Indian government realize its vision of ‘Make in India’ through advanced manufacturing technologies that incorporate the latest developments in robotics and artificial intelligence.
- The agreement was signed by Anna Roy, Adviser (Industry), NITI Aayog and Sanjeev Sharma, MD, ABB India in the presence of NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant and ABB CEO Dr. Ulrich Spiesshofer.
Through the agreement, NITI Aayog will work with ABB across various sectors of the economy such as power and water utilities, food and heavy industry, transport including rail and metro and infrastructure to suggest solutions for digitalization, incorporating the Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies. The initiative also covers the fast-growing segment of electric mobility.
7. Odisha to launch the mobile app for advance info on lightning:-
- The Odisha government has decided to introduce a special mobile application to provide advance information on lightning which has claimed at least 61 lives between April and May 2018.
- The mobile application will be developed to alert smartphone users if they are in a lightning zone. The people using smartphone will get information regarding possible lightning in their areas at least one hour ahead of the calamity.
- The move would enable them to move to safer places and save their lives. The aim of the initiative is to reduce death toll due to lightning.
8. Nepal becomes the first country in south-east Asia to eliminate Trachoma:-
- World Health Organization (WHO) has validated Nepal for having eliminated trachoma, a contagious bacterial infection of the eye. It makes Nepal first country in WHO’s South-East Asia Region to defeat trachoma, world’s leading infectious cause of blindness.
9. Smart Cities India 2018 Expo Underway In New Delhi:-
- A three-day Smart Cities India 2018 Expo, began in New Delhi.
- The mega event, consisting five expos is being held with a vision to help develop attractive and safe cities that evoke pride, passion and a sense of belonging among citizens.
- The five expos are Building India Expo, Solar India Expo, Transport India Expo, Smart Cities India Expo and Water India Expo.
- Over 300 exhibitors from different countries are participating in the 4th edition of this event.
10. UNICEF launches data visualisation app:-
- The UNICEF on May 24, 2018, launched a 'data visualization app' which provides a user-friendly visual representation of complex analytics of the education scenario in the country.
- The app has been made with technical inputs from the UNICEF, in collaboration with the National Institute of Education Planning and Administration (NIEPA) and the National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
- It uses the UDISE (Unified District Information System for Education), the NAS (National Assessment survey) and demographic data and can be used as a visual tool by policy makers, senior government officials, academia and researchers to address gaps and monitor programs in the field of education.