Current Affairs of 23 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. Justice Kothari was sworn in as Judge of Madras High Court:-
- Justice Vineet Kothari was sworn in as a judge of the Madras High Court in Chennai on November 23, 2018. He was administered the oath by the Chief Justice of Madras High Court VK Tahilramani.
- With Justice Kothari taking the oath, the number of judges in the Madras High Court has gone up to 61 as against the sanctioned strength of 75.
- He will be second in the seniority list after the transfer of Justice Huluvadi G Ramesh to the Madhya Pradesh High Court.
- Prior to his transfer to the Madras High Court, Kothari was a judge in the Karnataka High Court. He had previously been a judge in the Rajasthan High Court for 11 years.
- As a lawyer, Kothari had practiced tax and other commercial and constitutional laws, arbitration and company law for 20 years.
2. The Government decides to set up a domestic Gold Council in India:-
- The government on November 23, 2018, has decided to set up a domestic Gold council in India to promote the growth of the sector and boost exports of jewelry.
- Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu said this while inaugurating the 2nd Edition of India Gold and Jewellery Summit in New Delhi.
- The gold council will have representations from all stakeholders including artisans, traders, miners, and purifiers. The council would work in the direction of promoting the gold and jewelry industry, job creation, a building of regional clusters. It will also extend domestic support for exports.
3. Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launches personal loan facility for salaried individuals:-
- The Ujjivan small finance bank a wholly owned subsidiary of Ujjivan Financial Services Limited introduced a new personal loan scheme for salaried individuals.
- The 14 tier I and tier II locations where the product will be launched are Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Delhi, Kolkata, Pune, Surat, Mumbai, Mysore, Ankaleshwar, Coimbatore, Kochi, Chennai, and Vadodara. Personal loans starting from Rs 50,000up to Rs 15 lakhs will be offered to salaried professionals who are earning a monthly salary above Rs 15, 000.
- Key features of the product include a loan without any collateral or deposit of an asset and its attractive interest rate with complete digital processing. However, the credit history of the individual will be considered while passing the loan.
4. Third Sayaji Ratna Award received by Film superstar Amitabh Bachchan:-
- Amitabh Bachchan awarded the third Sayaji Ratna Award in Laxmi Vilas Palace, Vadodara for his social contribution to pay off the loans of several farmers from Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- He had helped 1,398 farmers from Uttar Pradesh and 350 from Maharashtra through his contribution.
5. Noted Indian classical musician Ustad Imrat Khan passes away:-
- Indian classical music stalwart Ustad Imrat Khan, who dedicated his life to propagating the Sitar and the surbahar worldwide, passed in the United States on November 22, 201,8 after a brief illness. He was 83.
- Imran Khan famously turned down the Padma Shri last year saying the recognition had come too late and diminished his achievements.
- He belonged to the illustrious Etawa Gharana, or the Imdadkhani Gharana, named after his grandfather Ustad Imdad Khan.
- His elder brother was Ustad Vilayat Khan. The Gharana, one of the oldest in India with a musical legacy of over 400 years, traces its roots to Agra. The family later moved to Etawa before finally settling down in Kolkata with Ustad Inayat Khan, Imran Khan's father.
6. Beijing's Population falls for the first time in 2 Decades:-
- The population of China’s capital, Beijing, declined for the first time in two decades in 2017.
- The number of permanent residents reached 21.707 million in 2017 which is 22,000 fewer than 2016. The number of people in the city’s six urban districts has also declined by 3 percent.
- The authorities in Beijing have been making efforts to curb population growth as part of their efforts to ease traffic congestion, resource shortages and house price inflation.
7. Sikhs celebrated the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak:-
- Sikhs celebrated the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak. They celebrate the birthdays of all of their ten gurus as 'Gurpurab'.
- The birth anniversary of the first Sikh guru, Guru Nanak is known and celebrated as 'Guru Nanak Prakash Utsav'.
- Sikhs celebrated the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak It is one of the most sacred festivals for Sikhs and is celebrated on 23rd November 2018. Sri Guru Nanak Dev was born in 1469 in Talwandi, a village about 65 kilometers west of Lahore.
- During the course of his life, Guru Nanak traveled far and wide, teaching people the message of one God who dwells in everyone.
8. World leaders to participate in virtual climate summit to cut carbon footprint:-
- World leaders are to participate in an innovative climate change summit that is to be taken place entirely online so it is carbon neutral. The eco-friendly event stands in stark contrast to many other international political summits, which involve thousands of delegates jetting across the world to a venue where they stay in air-conditioned comfort.
- The Virtual Climate Summit is the brainchild of Marshall Islands President Hilda Heine, whose low-lying Pacific island nation will drown beneath rising seas if global warming continues unabated.