Current Affairs of May 23, 2018, are as follows:-
1. India ranks 145th among 195 countries in terms of healthcare access: Lancet Study:-
- As per Lancet’s Global Burden of Disease study, India ranked 145th among 195 countries in terms of quality and accessibility of healthcare on the Healthcare Access and Quality Index (HAQ Index).
- Despite such low rankings, India saw improvements in healthcare access and quality since 1990.
- The five countries with the highest levels of healthcare access and quality in 2016 were Iceland (97.1 points), Norway (96.6), the Netherlands (96.1), Luxembourg (96.0), and Finland and Australia (each with 95.9).
- The countries with the lowest scores were - Central African Republic (18.6), Somalia (19.0), Guinea-Bissau (23.4), Chad (25.4), and Afghanistan (25.9).
- China and India had the widest disparities in healthcare access and quality with 43.5 and 30.8 point differences, respectively.
- The studies used an index to measure the quality and accessibility of healthcare, based on 32 causes of death which should be preventable with effective medical care.
2. Pravin Agrawal Appointed BHEL Director:-
- State-run power equipment maker Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) appointed Pravin L. Agrawal as a part-time official director on its board.
- An Indian Forest Service officer, Agrawal is presently joint secretary in the Department of Heavy Industry (DHI), Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
3. Uttar Pradesh cabinet approved the introduction of NCERT textbooks in Madarasa Board:-
- The Uttar Pradesh cabinet approved the introduction of National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) textbooks in the Madrasa Board.
- NCERT books in Urdu, Hindi and English languages will be introduced to give students a better training and enhanced skill set in madrasas.
- According to some sources, madrasas have been asked to follow the NCERT curriculum and introduce subjects like Science, Mathematics and Social Science.
4. HD Kumaraswamy sworn in as Karnataka Chief Minister:-
- Karnataka Congress leader G Parameshwara was sworn in as the Deputy Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- Among Karnataka’s 34 ministries, 22 would go to the Congress and the remaining 12, including the post of the Chief Minister, will be held by the JD(S).
- The seats, however, will be decided after the floor test, which will be held on May 25, 2018.
The post of the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker would also be evenly divided. While the Speaker will be from the Congress, his deputy will be from the Janata Dal-Secular.
The JDS leader was sworn in as the Chief Minister of Karnataka for the second time in 12 years.
5. Pawan Singh named RTS Jury chief:-
- India’s former shooter & national coach Pawan Singh has been appointed as the Chairman of Result Timing Score Jury by the International Shooting Sports Federation for the ISSF World Cup in Munich.
- With this appointment, Singh became the first Indian to chair the RTS Jury at a senior World Cup.
6. Bala Prasath Won Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship:-
- Coimbatore racer Bala Prasath won the Formula Junior Racing Series 2018 Championship in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Bala, who was trailing in second place after Round 1 with 91 points, was in his element in Round 2 at the Kari Motor Speedway.
7. Rajasthan Government launches software for disease monitoring:-
- Rajasthan Government launched new software called Nidaan for disease monitoring and strengthening telemedicine services in the government hospitals.
- The software will provide presumptive diagnosis and monitor seasonal and non-communicable diseases as well as trends of ailments found in specific areas.
- Nidaan Software will facilitate online entries for monitoring of as many as 46 diseases and healthcare services available for their treatment in different institutions.
8. MCX Launches India's 1st Copper Options:-
- India's Multi Commodity Exchange launched the country's first copper options contracts. Three contracts with a lot size of 1 tonne were launched.
- The option contract will provide physical market participants an additional instrument to hedge their risk.
9. Iraq to host the first international football tournament:-
- Iraq is to host a West Asia Football Federation championship in the southern city of Basra in November.
- The first international tournament to be staged in the country since the 1990s. World football’s governing body FIFA has lifted a three-decade ban on Iraq hosting international football, this March.
10. National Convention on Rejuvenation of Krishna River held:-
- The 'National Convention on Rejuvenation of the Krishna River' was held on May 22, 2018, in Hyderabad, Telangana. The convention was organized by the Indian Water Council (IWC).
- During the convention, experts in water conservation from across the country deliberated on the ways to rejuvenate the Krishna River. The inaugural session was addressed by Telangana Irrigation Minister T Harish Rao.
- The convention was IWC's first event which saw the participation of over 300 delegates of government organizations including Rajendra Singh, the 'Waterman of India'.
- The convention was organized as part of the Telangana government’s initiative to rejuvenate the Krishna River by involving government organizations from Krishna river basin states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Telangana and several NGOs.
11. Cabinet approves an ordinance to change bankruptcy rules:-
- The Union Cabinet approved an ordinance that incorporates changes to the bankruptcy law.
- However, the government declined to share details on the changes as the President’s approval is still awaited.
- A 14-member Insolvency Law Committee had earlier made few suggestions to change bankruptcy rules to the Ministry of Corporate Affairs.