Current Affairs of July 23, 2018, are as follows:-
1. SpaceX launched the world's heaviest communications satellite:-
Elon Musk-led space startup SpaceX launched the Telstar 19 Vantage satellite, the world's heaviest commercial communications satellite weighing over 7,000 kg, through its Falcon 9 rocket.The satellite has been produced by Space Systems Loral (SSL).
To provide high-throughput broadcast and internet services from Brazil to the northernmost regions of Canada.
2. NASA to launch Parker Solar Probe to touch the Sun:-
- The US space agency NASA on July 20, 201,8 announced to launch the Parker Solar Probe, a robotic car-size spacecraft, to study the Sun and reveal multiple mysteries behind the star.
- The spacecraft will be launched in August 2018 on the United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy from Cape Canaveral in Florida.
- Parker Solar Probe is part of NASA’s Living with a Star Program to explore aspects of the Sun-Earth system that directly affect life and society.
- The spacecraft has been designed to endure wicked heat while zooming through the solar corona to study the outermost part of the stellar atmosphere that gives rise to the solar wind.
3. Sunil Chhetri wins 2017 AIFF player of the year award:-
- Indian national football team’s captain Sunil Chhetri was named as 2017 All India Football Federation (AIFF) Player of the Year by the national body in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Chhetri recently became the second Indian footballer to play 100 international games after Bhaichung Bhutia. He is a star striker for both India and Bengaluru FC. \ While he was declared the 2017 AIFF Player of the Year in the men's category, Kamala Devi has adjudged the 2017 AIFF woman Player of the Year.
- Young Anirudh Thapa, who had impressed everyone with his performance in the four-nation Intercontinental Cup which India won, was declared as the 2017 Emerging Player of the Year.
- E Panthoi was named as the 2017 woman Emerging Player of the Year.
4. Advanced Weather Forecasting System Unveiled In New Delhi:-
- Minister for Science and Technology Harsh Vardhan unveiled the first of a kind Air Quality and Weather Forecast System, SAFAR at Chandni Chowk in New Delhi.
- The giant true color LED display will give real-time air quality index on the 24x7 basis with color coding along with 72-hour advance forecast.
- The new system can track UV-Index, PM1, Mercury and Black carbon in real time and will provide health advisory and related precaution.
5. Haryana government to set up the cultural center in Gurgaon:-
- The Haryana government has decided to set up a cultural center worth about Rs 184 crore over 10 acres of land in Gurgaon.
- The information was shared by the state’s Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar during a meeting to review work his announcements in the four Assembly constituencies of the district.
- Khattar directed the officers concerned to not cause any delay in its implementation.
6. Indian airports are buying TaxiBots from IAI:-
- India has planned to buy environmentally friendly TaxiBots, which can be used at the airports, developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
- These Pilot-controlled and semi-robots will allow pilots to switch on the plane’s engines only when it reaches the starting point of the runway hence reducing carbon emissions.
- IAI has announced that it had entered into an agreement with Gurugram-based KSU Aviation for the same.
- The use of TaxiBot at Indian airports in the next five years will bring about a saving of $1.5 billion to Indian carriers and reduce environmental damage of greenhouse gases by four million tons.
7. Tokyo 2020 committee officially launches Olympic mascots:-
- The Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee on July 22, 2018, officially launched its Olympic mascots Miraitowa and Somiety at a ceremony attended by Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike and Committee’s President Yoshiro Mori.
- The name of the blue-checked Olympic mascot ‘Miraitowa’ is derived from a combination of the Japanese words for future and eternity and seeks to "promote a future full of eternal hope in the hearts of people all over the world".
- The pink-checked Paralympic mascot Someity owes its name to a type of cherry tree blossom and exhibits enormous mental and physical strength.
8. Environment Minister inaugurates an advanced system of air quality ‘SAFAR’:-
- Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan unveiled a state-of-the-art Air Quality and Weather Forecast System– ‘SAFAR’ (System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting) at Chandni Chowk in New Delhi on July 21, 2018.
- First of its kind in the country, the system was developed indigenously in record time by Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune and operationalized by India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- The giant true color LED display will give out real-time air quality index on the 24x7 basis with color coding along with 72-hour advance weather forecast.