Current Affairs of April 23, 2018.
1.On April 23, it is observed as World Book and Copyright Day:-
- The World Book and Copyright Day were observed across the world on April 23, 2017, to highlight the power of books and to promote UNESCO’s vision of knowledge societies.
- The World Book and Copyright Day pay tribute to books and authors by encouraging everyone to discover the pleasure of reading.
- On 23 April it is to provide the people with many ideas and plans to make them aware of the situation and condition in the World.
- 23 April is a symbolic date for world literature.
- This year, UNESCO designated Athens, Greece as the World Book Capital for 2018.
2.YES Bank gets RBI nod to open 2 global representative offices:-
- Private sector lender YES Bank has got approval from the Reserve Bank of India to open two international representative offices.
- In a statement given by the Bank, it is declared that the new offices will come up in London and Singapore as part of the bank’s international expansion to provide services to the NRI (non-resident Indian) population.
- YES Bank had opened its first overseas office in Abu Dhabi in 2015 followed by the debut of IFSC Banking Unit (IBU) at GIFT City, Gandhinagar in the same year.
3.CCEA approves restructured Rashritya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan Scheme:-
- The Union Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved a restructured Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan scheme aimed at making rural local bodies self-sustainable, financially stable and more efficient.
- PM Narendra Modi will launch Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan scheme in Mandla in Madhya Pradesh on the occasion of National Panchayati Raj Day.
- The Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan scheme will be now extended to all the states, union territories (UTs) and in all the institutions of rural local government in non-Part IX areas, where Panchayats do not exist.
4.Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) – 2018:-
- The 6th edition of Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) and Conclave of Chiefs is being hosted by Iran at Tehran from 23 to 25 April 2018.
- The IONS was conceived by the Indian Navy in 2008.
- The inaugural edition of IONS was held in February 2008 at New Delhi, with Indian Navy as the Chair for two years.
5.French National Assembly passes controversial immigration Law:-
- After the 61 Hours of Debate, it is declared that The National Assembly of France on April 22, 2018, passed a controversial immigration law.
- The controversial law, which was approved with 228 votes in favour, 139 against and 24 abstentions, exposed unprecedented divisions in President Emmanuel Macron's young centrist party.
6.PM Modi awarded Manipur’s Karang – India’s first cashless island:-
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi honored bureaucrats for making Manipur’s Karang the first cashless island of the country.
- Modi awarded civil servants for smooth implementation of four priority programmes- ).Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana ii). Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban and Rural) iii).Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Grameen Kaushalya Yojana iv).Digital payments.
7.Rafael Nadal beats Kei Nishikori to win Monte Carlo Masters:-
- Rafael Nadal won a record 31st Masters title after beating Kei Nishikori 6-3, 6-2 in the Monte Carlo Masters final.
- Nadal also became the first man in the Open era to win the Monte Carlo title 11 times and moved one ahead of rival Novak Djokovic for career Masters titles.
8.Nitish Kumar Launches 3 Books On Mahatma Gandhi's Champaran Movement:-
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar released three books based on Mahatma Gandhi's Champaran movement of 1917.
- The Champaran movement is acknowledged as the first Satyagraha movement inspired by Mahatma Gandhi.