1. After Union Cabinet’s approval, President Signs Ordinance to Provide Death Penalty to Rapists of Girls below 12 Years-
- President Ram Nath Kovind has promulgated an Ordinance to pave way for providing stringent punishment.
- The Union Cabinet had approved the Ordinance to allow courts to award death penalty for those convicted of raping girls under the age of 12 years.
- The minimum punishment in the case of rape of women has been increased from rigorous imprisonment of seven years to 10 years. In the case of rape of a girl under 16 years, the minimum punishment has been increased from 10 years to 20 years.
2. RBI Revises Know Your Customer(KYC)Guidelines-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has updated its KYC guidelines putting responsibility on Aadhaar for customer verification and due diligence by banks and financial institutions.
- in the amended Customer Due Diligence procedure, the Aadhaar number, the PAN or Form No. 60 need to be obtained from an individual who is eligible for applying for the biometric ID.The move is aimed at ensuring that no account is opened in an anonymous or fictitious name.
3. Deepika Padukone, Virat Kohli, Satya Nadella among TIME's 100 Most Influential People-
- The TIME Magazine released the 100 Most Influential People List of 2018 designating individuals whose time is now. The 2018 list features the names of four self-made Indians- Bollywood actress Deepika Padukone, Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli, Ola co-founder Bhavish Aggarwal and Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella.
- The list also features the USA President Donald Trump.
4. World Earth Day celebrated on 22nd April-
- The World Earth Day (WED) is celebrated on 22nd April with the aim to encourage people to do things that will benefit the Earth, such as recycling more, using solar power or plant trees.
- It was first celebrated on April 22, 1970 and has ever since been an annual event. The theme for World Earth Day 2018 is 'End Plastic Pollution'.
5. TCS became 1st Indian Company With 100 Billion Dollar Market Value-
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), the country’s largest IT outsourcing company created history by becoming the first Indian company to reach the $100 billion market capitalisation (m-cap) mark. It also features as one of the world’s 100 most valued organizations.The present market value of the company stood at Rs 6,79,332.81 crore.
6. Malaria Summit 2018 held in London
- While significant progress has been made in recent years, a child under five still dies from malaria every two minutes. To overcome the issue, Leaders from 15 Commonwealth counties, along with The Prince of Wales and Bill Gates, gathered in London to re-focus and reignite global efforts to beat malaria for good.
7. 55 percent of new bank accounts opened globally are from India: Global Findex Report 2017-
- The World Bank released the Global Findex Report 2017 indicating that 55 percent of new bank accounts opened globally are from India. China tops the list of unbanked population with 225 million adults who do not have a bank account, followed by India (190 million), Pakistan (100 million) and Indonesia (95 million).
8. Indian Animation pioneer Bhimsain Khurana Pass Away-
- Indian animation pioneer and multiple National Award winner Bhimsain Khurana has passed away. In 1970, he made his debut with his first animation short “The Climb”. He won National Award for Ek Anek Ekta.
9. Six Countries Suspend Membership in UNASUR Regional Bloc-
- A South American bloc created a decade ago to counter US influence in the region has temporarily lost half its members as Bolivian Foreign Minister Fernando Huanacuni announced that Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay and Peru had decided to temporarily leave the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), given differences over choosing the secretary general of the group.
10. Cabinet approves the restructure of Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan-
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs chaired by the Prime Minister Modi approved a restructured Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan scheme aimed at making rural local bodies self-sustainable, financially stable and more efficient.
- The Scheme will be implemented during the period from 01.04.2018 to 31.03.2022 at the total cost of Rs. 7255.50 crore with the Central Share of Rs. 4500 crore and that of State Share of Rs. 2755.50 crore and will extend to all States and UTs and will also include institutions of rural local government in non-Part IX areas, where Panchayats do not exist,