Current Affairs of May 21, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Japanese Director Won Cannes' Top Award:-
- Asian, Arab, and women filmmakers scored big at the closing ceremony of the 71st Cannes Film Festival, while Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda took home the top prize -- the Palme d'Or. Kore-eda, in the festival's main competition for the fifth time, won the Palme d'Or for 'Manbiki Kazoku' (Shoplifters).
- Kore-eda is only the second Asian Palme d'Or winner this millennium (after Thailand's Apichatpong Weerasethakul for 'Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives', 2010).
- This is the seventh time that a director from Asia has bagged the coveted trophy.
2. India ranked 6th wealthiest country:-
- The AfrAsia Bank Global Wealth Migration Review ranked India as the 6th wealthiest country in the world.
- With a total wealth of 8,230 billion dollars, while the United States was ranked as the wealthiest with a total wealth of 62,584 billion dollars.
- The review ranked China with a total wealth of 24,803 billion dollars in the second position and Japan with 19,522 billion dollars at the third place.
3. Prajnesh Gunneswaran Won T.K. Ramanathan Award For 2017-18:-
- Prajnesh Gunneswaran won the prestigious T.K. Ramanathan award for the year 2017-18 at the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) annual day function at the SDAT tennis stadium. He received a cash prize of Rs. 30,000.
4. South Korea wins Asian champions Trophy 2018:-
- The Indian women’s Hockey team failed to defend its crown at the fifth Asian Champions Trophy, as it lost to hosts South Korea, 0-1 in the summit clash at Donghae City, South Korea.
- A goal by Youngsil Lee clinched the Korean team as the winner of Champions Trophy.
- The final was India’s first defeat of the tournament. South Korea has lifted the title for the third time after having won it in 2010 and 2011.
- India, on the other hand, finished second best for the second time after having lost to Japan in the final of the 2013 edition.
- Indian striker Vandana Katariya was declared player of the tournament while youngster Lalremsiami was named as the upcoming player of the tournament.
5. May 21 is Observed as Anti-Terrorism Day:-
- The Anti Terrorism Day is observed on 21 May every year in our country to make the people aware of the anti-social act of terrorism and its impact on human suffering and lives.
- The official announcement of National Anti Terrorism Day was made after the assassination of India's seventh Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on 21 May 1991.
- He was killed in Tamil Nadu in a campaign by the terrorist.
- Then, under V.P. Singh government the center has decided to observe 21st May as Anti Terrorism Day.
6. Venezuela's President Maduro Wins Re-Election:-
- Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro was reelected for a second six-year term in presidential elections, according to the National Electoral Council (CNE).
- Some 14,638 voting centers have been set up nationwide for Venezuela's more than 20.5 million eligible voters, who are also voting for state legislators.
- Mr. Nicolas replaced Hugo Chavez after his death from cancer in 2013.
7. Railways to use AI to control air circulation:-
- In a first, the Indian Railways would use artificial intelligence to control air circulation, to issue emergency alerts and also for supervision and maintenance work in a 10.28-km-long tunnel in Imphal.
- It will also alert the passenger in case of fire and help in quick evacuation in case of an issue.
- This system will also be used in the Hyderabad, Mumbai and Ahmedabad metros.
8. Chhattisgarh to get specialized combat unit ‘Black Panther’:-
- The state of Chhattisgarh would soon be getting a specialized anti-Naxal combat force called the ‘Black Panther’.
- The announcement was made by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on May 21, 2018.
- The force would be set up on the lines of Greyhounds unit, a special force in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh that is dedicated to anti-insurgency operations against Naxalites and Maoists.
- The training of the personnel who will be a part of the special force will be launched soon.
9. Prajnesh Gunneswaran won T.K. Ramanathan award for 2017-18:-
- Prajnesh Gunneswaran won the prestigious T.K. Ramanathan award for the year 2017-18 at the Tamil Nadu Tennis Association (TNTA) annual day function at the SDAT tennis stadium.
10. 26th BASIC Ministerial meeting of Environment Ministers held in Durban:-
- The 26th BASIC Ministerial Meeting of Environment Ministers was held in Durban, South Africa. The grouping is a bloc of four countries – Brazil, South Africa, India, and China.
- India was represented by Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan.