Current Affairs of 21 August 2018 following as:-
1. 20th August is observed as World Mosquito Day:-
- World Mosquito Day is a commemoration of British doctor Sir Ronald Ross's discovery in 1897 that female mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans.
- Mosquito name comes from a Spanish word meaning "little fly". Around 6 million deaths every decade occur owing to malaria.
2. Deepak Kumar, Lakshay won a silver medal in shooting at 2018 Asian Games:-
- The Day 3 of Asian Games 2018 began with shooters Saurabh Chaudhary, Abhishek Verma and Sanjeev Rajput adding three more medals to India’s medal account, taking the total medal tally to 8, comprising 3 gold, 3 silver, and 2 bronze medals.
- The 16-year-old Indian shooter, Saurabh Choudhary won gold in 10m Air Pistol event with Asiad record, while Abhishek Verma bagged bronze.
- India’s Sanjeev Rajput, on the other hand, claimed the silver by finishing second in the finals of the 50m rifle 3 positions men’s event.
3. HAL becomes first public sector enterprise to transact on TReDS:-
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has become the first public sector enterprise to make a transaction on the "TReDS platform", which is an online electronic institutional mechanism for facilitating the financing of trade receivables of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) through multiple financiers.
- TReDS refers to Trade Receivables Discounting System. During October 2017, the central government mandated all major PSUs to join TReDS platform to facilitate payments to MSME vendors.
- RXIL (Receivables Exchange of India) is India’s first TReDS platform operating since January 2017 and is promoted by the National Stock Exchange, Small Industries Development Bank of India, State Bank of India, ICICI Bank and Yes Bank.
4. Teen cyclist creates history by claiming India's first ever medal:-
- Teen cyclist Esow Alben has created history by claiming India's first ever medal - a silver- at the UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships in Aigle, Switzerland.
- He put enormous pressure on Czech Republic's Jakub Stastny in the final sprint before settling for the silver medal.
- Esow finished just 0.017 seconds behind gold medalist Stastny in the thrilling photo-finish of a race.
- The 17-year-old from Andaman and Nicobar trains in Delhi at the Sports Authority of India's National Cycling Academy.
5. Ten-day long 'Esala Maha Perahera' festival begins in Sri Lanka:-
- The Kandy Esala Perahera also known as 'The Festival of the Tooth' is a grand festival celebrated in July or August in Kandy, Sri Lanka.
- This historical procession is held annually to pay homage to the Sacred Tooth Relic of Lord Buddha, which is housed at the Sri Dalada Maligawa in Kandy.'
6. Stalin is elected as the President of DMK party in Tamil Nadu:-
- M.K.Stalin, the working president of DMK is likely to be elected as the President of DMK party in Tamil Nadu. The official announcement will be made in DMK general council which will be meeting on 28th August 2018.
- After the demise of the veteran leader M. Karunanidhi, former CM of Tamil Nadu and President of DMK party, K.Anbazhagan, DMK general secretary, announced that the general counsel of the party would elect the president and treasurer of the party. Duraimurugan, DMK’s principal secretary is likely to be elected as the treasurer.
- To condole the death of the great leader M. Karunanidhi, the party is currently holding a series of meeting at various centers in Tamil Nadu.
7. Russia invited Taliban for talks on 4th September:-
- Russia has invited the Taliban for the international peace talks on Afghanistan on 4th September. Russia is hoping that the Taliban will react positively to the offer as it has not responded yet.
- In the meantime, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani offered a proposal for a three-month ceasefire and still awaits for the Taliban's response. This truce offer by Afghan was welcomed by the United States and NATO after nearly 17 years of war.
8. Gopalkrishna Gandhi conferred with Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award:-
- Former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi was on August 20, 2018, conferred with Rajiv Gandhi National Sadbhavana Award on the occasion of the 74th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- The award was given at a function in New Delhi in presence of former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress leader Karan Singh.
- Speaking on the occasion, Manmohan Singh said that Gopalkrishna Gandhi has had a long and distinguished career in public life as a civil servant and a distinguished diplomat. He said, Gandhi is also a man of deep scholarship, which is reflected so clearly in his writings.