Current Affairs of April 21, 2018.
1.Vice President inaugurates 2-day event of 12th Civil Services Day:-
- Our honorable Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the two-day Civil Services Day event in New Delhi.
- He has said that translating “legislative intent” into “programmatic content” and demonstrating to the common citizens what “Surajya” actually looks like in day to day administration, the civil services have an enormous opportunity today.
- The Day focuses on the topic ‘Evolving Strategies for Transforming Aspirational Districts’.
- He was delivering the inaugural address at the 2-day event of the 12th Civil Services Day in New Delhi and The Vice President said that a clean, competent, people-friendly, proactive administrative leadership is the need of the hour.
- The Vice President also released a book 'Emulating Excellence- Takeaways for Replication'.
2. SJVN signs MoU with Ministry of Power:-
- SJVN Limited has signed a MoU with Ministry of Power for the year 2018-19.
- SJVN is the operator of one of the largest Hydro Power Plants in the country,1500 MW Nathpa Jhakri Hydro Power Station.
- MoU was signed by Ajay Kumar Bhalla, Secretary (Power) and Shri Nand Lal Sharma, Chairman & Managing Director, SJVN.
- SJVN shall strive to achieve 9200 Million Units generation during the year under ‘Excellent’ category.
- SJVN will have Capital Expenditure (CAPEX) target of Rs. 900 crore and Turnover target of Rs. 2175 crore under the Excellent category.
3.Three-nation Europe tour completes by PM Modi:-
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi was on the three-nation visit of Europe to Sweden, the UK, and Germany.
- During Europe visit, he has signed various important agreements and attended various conferences.
- During the First Visit, The United Kingdom joined the India-led International Solar Alliance (ISA) ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Britain.
- Next visit is about to, PM Modi left for Sweden on the first leg of his three-nation tour of Europe.
- In London, PM Modi addressed the world in a globally broadcast live event called 'Bharat Ki Baat, Sabke Saath' from the iconic Central Hall Westminster.
- At third Visit, Prime Minister Narendra Modi held bilateral talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin and discussed ways to further strengthen the strategic partnership between the two countries.
4.Former Delhi High Court Chief Justice Rajinder Sachar passes away:-
- Human rights activist and former Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court Justice Rajinder Sachar at the age of 94 passed away at a New Delhi hospital.
- He was the Chief Justice from August 6, 1985, to December 22, 1985.
- He was associated with rights group People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) after his retirement.
5. Chinese Grand Prix 2018 wins by Daniel Ricciardo:-
- The 2018 Chinese Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race that took place at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China.
- Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo won the race.
- The race was the third round of the 2018 FIA Formula One World Championship and marked the fifteenth time.
6. Next Head of Commonwealth is to be Prince Charles:-
- Commonwealth leaders have formally announced that Prince Charles will become the next head of the organization after Queen Elizabeth II.
- The Commonwealth is an intergovernmental organization of 53 member states that are mostly former territories of the British Empire.
7.TCS first Indian company with $100 billion market cap:-
- The IT major is the first listed Indian company to achieve this milestone, Tata Consultancy Services has touched $100 billion marks in market capitalization as its share price surged nearly 7%.
8. 16th Federation Cup Junior National Athletics Championship Begins:-
- Tamil Nadu, 16th Federation Cup Junior National athletics championship has begun in Coimbatore.
- In this 16th National athletics, 800 athletes from 32 states across the country will take part in this tournament.
- Selections trials for the 18th Asian Junior Athletic Meet to be held at Gifu, Japan, in June.
- The three-day event of athletics will see 440 boys and 352 girls in the age group of 16 to 20 years take part in 44 events.
9.The second session of NAI’s Book reading series -“Archives Reads”:-
- The Second Book reading session of 'Archives Reads' was organized by NAI with Author & Prof Deepak Kumar.
- His latest publication is “Trishanku Nation – Memory, Self and Society in Contemporary India".
- Speaking on the occasion, Director General, National Archives of India (NAI), Shri Pritam Singh, said that the rich archives available with NAI are a treat for students, researchers, historians, and authors.
10. e-SANAD Portal and National Academic Depository Integrated:-
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) has launched integration of e-SANAD portal and NAD – National Academic Depository.
- This can be done to make education system in India more transparent.
- e-Sanad is a project aimed at online submission and verification of documents.
NAD is a 24X7 online storehouse of all academic awards viz. diplomas certificates, degrees, mark-sheets etc.