Current Affairs of 20 November 2018 are as follows:-
1. Definition of kilogram changed after 130 years:-
- The world's standard definition of the kilogram, the ampere, the Kelvin and the mole have been changed after representatives from 60 countries voted to redefine the International System of Units (SI) for weight, current, temperature and amount of chemical substance.
- The new definition of Kilogram will be replaced by the Planck constant. It will adopted on May 20, which is World Metrology Day. The new definition of kg involves accurate weighing machines called 'Kibble balance'
2. India Post announces the soft launch of its e-commerce portal:-
- Leveraging its parcel business network, India Post has announced the soft launch of its e-commerce portal.
- The Department of Posts has done the only soft launch of the portal and full-fledged operations of the service will start after mid-December.
- The Department of Posts has been focussing on the e-commerce sector to increase its revenue receipts.
3. Jalaj Srivastava appointed as New IWAI Chairman:-
- IWAI comes under the Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways headed by Nitin Gadkari.
- He served as Chairman of New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and Principal Secretary of Department of VAT, Delhi Government. Srivastava is known for the launching of “Shakti Cab” and “URJA” project for women.
4. Bengal to come out with an interactive app for restaurants:-
- The West Bengal Tourism Department has decided to launch an interactive mobile app next month, listing all the good restaurants in Kolkata and other places across the State. The move comes as tourists visit the Department website for locating restaurants.
- The restaurants already listed on the Department's website will find a place in the app. More restaurants will be added gradually. The app will also have provisions for customers to share their experiences.
- The department will also rate the restaurants with stars. A valid trade license is a primary requirement.
5. NSE launched an online platform for retail investors to buy G-sec:-
- National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) launched a mobile application and web-based platform for retail investors to buy government securities (G-Secs). The new app - 'NSE goBID', was launched by SEBI chairman Ajay Tyagi.
- Through this app, retail investors can invest in treasury bills (T-Bills) of 91 days, 182 days and 364 days and various government bonds from one year to almost 40 years.
- It will allow investors to make payments directly from their bank accounts using the unified payments interface (UPI) and internet banking.
- RBI conducts an auction of G-sec and T-bills on a weekly basis where 5 per cent of the notified amount is allotted for eligible investors under the scheme for non-competitive bidding facility.
6. Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn arrested over financial misconduct:
- Nissan Chairman Carlos Ghosn has been arrested in Tokyo over claims of financial misconduct.
- The company's Chief Executive Hiroto Saikawa said Ghosn, will be sacked from the Japanese firm after a board meeting on November 22.
- Ghosn, a towering figure in the car industry, has been accused of significant acts of misconduct, including under-reporting his pay package and personal use of company assets.
7. Qaumi Ekta Week (National Integration Week) observed from 19th to 25th November:-
- Qaumi Ekta Week is observed across the country from 19th to 25th November to foster and reinforce the spirit of communal harmony and national integration. On November 19, National Integration Day was observed.
- On November 20, Welfare of Minorities Day is to be observed in which items of the 15 Point Programme may be emphasized. 21st November will be observed as Linguistic Harmony Day with special literacy functions and Kavi Sammelans to enable people of each region to appreciate the linguistic heritage of other parts of India.
- On November 22, Weaker Sections Day will be observed. On 23rd November, Cultural Unity Day will be observed. Women’s Day will be observed on 24th November.
- The ‘Qaumi Ekta Week’ will conclude on November 25 with the observation of Conservation Day.
8. Maldives to rejoin Commonwealth, 2 years after withdrawing:-
- The Maldives cabinet has approved the proposal to rejoin the Commonwealth, two years after withdrawing from the 53-nation grouping.
- The announcement was made by the nation’s newly inaugurated President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih on November 19. President Solih said that the proposal will be sent to the Parliament for ratification.
- The country had left the Commonwealth during former President Abdulla Yameen's administration in October 2016, amid mounting pressure over corruption and deteriorating human rights.
- The new government under Solih has begun to reset several decisions and policies of the previous administration.
9. RBI Board meeting: Key decisions are:-
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on November 19, 2018, held a marathon board meeting and discussed over several contentious issues including how much capital the RBI needs, lending norms for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and rules for weak banks.
- The board meeting yielded a mutual agreement between the RBI and the government, where RBI agreed to refer the contentious issue of the appropriate size of reserves that the RBI must hold to an expert committee, while restructuring of stressed loans of small businesses would be considered by the central bank.
10. Africa Industrialization Day is observed on 20 November:-
- The purpose of Africa Industrialization Day (AID), marked each year on 20 November, is to raise global awareness of the challenges faced by the continent with regard to industrialization.
- The theme for AID 2018 is “Promoting Regional Value Chains in Africa.