Current Affairs of May 20, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Gina Haspel Confirmed as first female Director Of CIA:-
- The US Senate confirmed Gina Haspel as the first female director of Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
- Gina Haspel's confirmation in a 54-45 vote follows a partisan fight among senators about the CIA's Bush-era use of techniques such as waterboarding.
- The former CIA chief, Mike Pompeo, left to become US Secretary of State.
2. Amitabh Bachchan most engaging Indian actor on Facebook:-
- India's most favorite Superstar Amitabh Bachchan has been voted the most engaging Indian actor on Facebook in a new survey.
- According to Score Trends, the 75-year-old actor has over 30 million followers on the popular social networking site.
- The survey ranked Bachchan at number one position with 100 points on Facebook, closely followed by Salman Khan with 95 points and Shah Rukh Khan with 68 points.
- The ‘Padmaavat’ actor Ranveer Singh was ranked fourth with 52 points and Akshay Kumar was ranked fifth with 49 points.
3. Shivangi Pathak Becomes Youngest Indian Woman To Scale Mount Everest:-
- India's Shivangi Pathak become the youngest women of the country to scale Mt Everest from Nepal side.
- According to the Managing Director of Seven Summit Treks, Mingma Sherpa, 16-year-old Shivangi successfully stood atop world’s highest mountain.
- The Brave Girl Born in Hisar of Haryana Shivangi climbed Mt Everest and she wants to spread the message that women could overcome any obstacle to achieve their goals.
4. Ambika Sharma To Head USIBC India Office:-
- The U.S India Business Council named Ambika Sharma as its head for India. Ms. Sharma was Director General for International at the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). As Director General of FICCI.
- She is the highest ranked female executive of an Indian industry body.
- Ms. Sharma will be responsible for overseeing and guiding USIBC’s growth strategy in India through its offices in New Delhi and Mumbai, as well as leading the charge on policy advocacy issues for USIBC’s diverse membership with a variety of stakeholders.
5. Guwahati: India’s first solar-powered railway station:-
- Guwahati now has India’s first railway station run by solar power.
- Around 2352 solar modules with a capacity of generating 700 kwp have been set up over the roof of the Guwahati railway station.
- The solar power plant will save Rs 67 lakh worth of electricity.
6. Karnataka Chief Minister Yeddyurappa Resigns from a post:-
- BS Yeddyurappa resigned 55 hours after taking oath as the Karnataka CM, ahead of the floor test. BJP, with 104 seats, was seven short of the required number of 111.
- The Congress with 78 MLAs, the JD(S) with 36 and three others were also individually not in a position to form the government.
- But with BJP now exiting the picture, the Congress-JD(S) combine has 114 seats, more than the required number.
7. Dr. Harsh Vardhans Green Good Deeds Gets Global Recognition:-
- Green Good Deeds, the societal movement launched by Environment, Forest & Climate Change Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan to protect the environment and promote good living has found acceptance by the global community.
- Dr. Harsh Vardan at the ongoing 4th BRICS Environment Ministerial in Durban, South Africa had urged the BRICS nations to jointly help in the development of a social movement to fight for the protection and conservation of the environment.
- The BRICS Ministerial on Environment has agreed to include “Green Good Deeds” in its official agenda in the next Ministerial in Brazil and another meeting in Russia.
8. Paytm introduces automatic recurring payments:-
- Paytm has introduced automatic recurring payments, a new feature that would let users configure the payments app to pay for periodic recurring expenses automatically.
- Similar to standing instructions for bank accounts, the ‘My Payments’ feature can be used for high-value payments for a variety of cases
- The company expects the feature to significantly boost bank-to-bank transactions on the Paytm app
9. Union Government extends the last date for filing of form GSTR-3B by 2 days till May 22:-
- The Union government extended the last date for filing of form GSTR-3B for April by two days till 22nd of this month.
An official statement said that it was brought to the notice of the competent authority that certain technical issues are being faced by the taxpayers during the filing of the form. In order to resolve the same, emergency maintenance is being carried out on the system.
10. EU countries agree Iran deal 'not perfect': Merkel:-
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on May 19, 2018, that EU countries agreed that the Iran nuclear deal was ‘not perfect’ but insisted it should be preserved after the US withdrawal threw the accord into doubt.
- The EU leaders meeting in Sofia has backed a ‘united’ approach to keeping the deal alive after US President Donald Trump pulled out and re-imposed sanctions.
- Merkel stated that everyone in the European Union shares the view that the agreement is not perfect, but that they should remain in this agreement and conduct further negotiations with Iran on the basis of other issues such as the ballistic missile programme.