Current Affairs of June 20, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Today World Refugee Day is observed in many countries:-
- Every year, World Refugee Day is held on 20th June to commemorate the strength, courage, and perseverance of millions of refugees.
- The theme for World Refugee Day 2018 is ‘Now More Than Ever, We Need to Stand with Refugees’.
- World Refugee Day was established by the United Nations on December 4, 2000.
2. Mehbooba Mufti resigns as J&K CM:-
- Jammu & Kashmir’s Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti submitted her resignation to the Governor after BJP announced to pull out of an alliance with Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- The reason for the pullout was a failure to control the situation in the state and meet its promises.
3. Bangladesh appointed Lieutenant General Aziz Ahmed as New Army Chief:-
- Bangladesh appointed Lieutenant General Aziz Ahmed as the country's new army chief for a three-year tenure.
- He would succeed General Abu Belal Mohammad Shafiul Haque, who is set to retire on June 25.
4. Uber appoints Pradeep Parameswaran as new President of India and South Asia:-
- U.S. based ride-hailing firm Uber has appointed Pradeep Parameswaran as new President of India and South Asia.
- This comes after Amit Jain was elevated to head the Asia Pacific region for Uber in May this year.
- Parameswaran joined Uber in January 2017 and was CEO of Den Networks, a Cable TV company in his last stint.
5. Indian Government to team up with Google for flood forecasting:-
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Nitin Gadkari has expressed that Union Government's collaboration with Google will help in effective flood management in India.
- The Central Water Commission (CWC), India’s apex technical organization in the field of Water Resources, on June 18, 2018, signed a Collaboration Agreement with Google for flood forecasting.
6. US scientists unveiled worlds most powerful and smartest scientific supercomputer:-
- US scientists have unveiled the world’s most powerful and smartest scientific supercomputer named "Summit" that can complete over 200,000 trillion calculations per second.
- This supercomputer called Summit will be eight times more powerful than its previous top-ranked system, Titan.
7. Shujaat Bukhari, the editor of the newspaper Rising Kashmir Shot Dead In Srinagar:-
- Senior journalist Shujaat Bukhari, the editor of "Rising Kashmir" newspaper, was shot dead In Srinagar.
- He was instrumental in organizing several conferences for peace in the Kashmir valley.
- He was also part of the "Track II" or alternate channels dialogue process with Pakistan.
8. Canada legalises recreational use of marijuana nationwide:-
- Canadian Senate has passed a landmark law that legalises the recreational use of marijuana nationwide.
- The Cannabis Act passed its final hurdle on June 20 in a 52-29 vote in the Senate. The bill controls and regulates how the drug can be grown, distributed and sold.
- With the bill’s passing, the Canadians will be able to buy and consume the drug legally as early as September 2018.
- The country is the first in the G7 to legalise the drug's recreational use.
9. US President Donald Trump orders to end separation of immigrant families:-
- US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order to keep together immigrant families who have been detained at the border with Mexico.
- With the decision, Trump reversed his own policy amid heavy pressure from his fellow Republicans, Democrats and the international community, over the separation of undocumented parents and children.
10. Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar launches National Digital Library of India:-
- The Union Human Resource Development Minister, Prakash Javadekar has launched the new digital initiative of HRD Ministry ‘National Digital Library of India’ (NDL) on the occasion of National Reading Day in New Delhi.
- The digital library at present hosts 17 million-plus items (books, audiobooks, images etc) in 200-plus languages from more than 170 institutions.