Current Affairs of 20 August 2018 following as:-
1. General Dalbir Singh Suhag awarded US Legion of Merit 2018:-
- The award was given to Singh Suhag for exceptionally meritorious service as Chief of Army Staff from August 2014 to December 2016.
- The Legion of Merit is awarded in four degrees; Degree of Chief Commander, Degree of commander, Degree of the officer, Degree of Legionnaire.
2. SK Arora awarded with WHO World No Tobacco Day 2017 Award:-
- Delhi government’s Additional Director of health, SK Arora was awarded prestigious World No Tobacco Day 2017 Award of the World Health Organisation (WHO) for his extraordinary contribution towards tobacco control.
- He was presented the award by Henk Bekedam, WHO India country head in New Delhi.
- Delhi government’s health department for the past four years has been fighting against the direct advertisement of brand promotion of tobacco and surrogate advertisement of tobaccos in name of pan masala and other eatables such as tea, ilaichi (cardamom).
- The World No Tobacco Day Award is awarded every year by WHO to individuals or organizations in each of six WHO regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control.
3. Bajrang Punia won gold in the Asian Games 2018:-
- Bajrang Punia won gold in the final of the 65kg freestyle wrestling competition at the Asian Games 2018. He defeated Japan’s Daichi Takatani with a scoreline of 11-8.
- He became the winner of India’s 140th Asiad gold. Punia is the sole torch-bearer of Indian wrestling.
- Punia said that he has fixed his eyes on bigger targets, the first of which would be the World Championships in October, with an Olympic quota at stake. He also said he dedicates his win to former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
4. Qatar announced Financial aid of Rs. 34.89 crore for Kerala:-
- Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani issued a directive to allocate USD 5 million(Rs. 34.89 crores) in aid of those affected by the floods that recently hit Kerala, to help provide shelter to those who lost their homes as a result of the humanitarian crisis.
- Kerala is facing its worst flood in 100 years with 80 dams opened and all rivers in spate.
5. India successfully tests Anti-Tank Guided Missile HELINA in Pokhran:-
- The indigenously designed and developed guided bombs Smart Anti Airfield Weapon (SAAW) successfully flight tested from IAF aircraft at Chandan range in Jaisalmer.
6. Israeli Navy to procure Indo-Israel developed Barak 8 missile defense system:-
- Israeli Navy announced to procure multi-purpose Barak 8 missile defense system.
- It will be used by Israeli Navy’s Sa’ar-6 corvettes to expand operational capabilities of the Israeli navy.
- The system has been jointly developed by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) and India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It is an operational air and missile defense system used by Israeli Navy as well as by Indian Navy and air forces.
- The missile is about 4.5 meters long, 0.225 meters in diameter and weighs 275 kg including 60 kg warhead.
7. IBHFL appointed S.S.Mundra as an independent director on the board:-
- Indiabulls Housing Finance (IBHFL), India’s second-largest housing finance company, appointed Mr.S.S.Mundra as an independent director on the board of the company.
- He is the former Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. Mr.Mundra has held various high-level of positions including Chairman and Managing Director of Bank of Baroda, Executive Director of Union Bank of India and Chief Executive of Bank of Baroda (European Operations)and as Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
8. Sadbhavana Diwas on 20 August 2018:-
- Sadbhavana Diwas or Harmony Day is celebrated on August 20 each year all over India to commemorate the birth anniversary of the former Prime Minister of India named Rajiv Gandhi.
- Sadbhavana meaning - having good feelings for others.
- On this day, Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Award is presented to commemorate the contribution made by Rajiv Gandhi for promoting the communal harmony, peace and national integration.
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi was declared as the winner of Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Award for the year 2018. He is a retired IAS officer and was 22nd Governor of West Bengal served from 2004 to 2009.