Current Affairs of June 19, 2018, are as follows:-
1. Mehbooba Mufti resigns as Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister:-
- Mehbooba Mufti resigned as Jammu and Kashmir’s chief minister, after the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ended its alliance with her Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), potentially pushing the state towards Governor’s rule.
- She handed over her resignation to Governor NN Vohra.
2. Workshop on Cyber Security Framework – 2018 organised:-
- A workshop on Cyber Security Framework for Department of Defence was organised by Ministry of Defence.
- The workshop was inaugurated by Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- Sitharaman congratulated Department of Defence Production (DDP) for formulating Cyber Security Framework for DDP and also establishing Cyber Security Cells at various levels to handle cybersecurity related issues.
- This one day workshop was organised with an aim to bring in synchronised approach for cybersecurity based on framework document released by the Department of Defence Production in 2018.
3. Ratan Tata is the only Indian Investor in Xiaomi, IPO Filing Reveals:-
- As per Xiaomi’s IPO documents, Ratan Tata is the only Indian investor in the company, which has built a name for itself on the back of affordable quality smartphones.
- Tata’s investment in the company is now worth close to $2.1 million - a twofold jump in four years.
4. Canada lawmakers vote to legalise cannabis:-
- The Canadian Parliament has passed a bill to legalise cannabis that would make Canada the first G7 country to allow free consumption of the mind-altering drug.
- The bill was passed by 205 votes to 82 in the House of Commons on June 18.
- The legislation must now pass the Senate and receive royal assent by the Governor General before becoming law, likely by September.
5. Ivan Duque wins election to become President of Colombia:-
- Ivan Duque, the conservative political newcomer was elected as Colombia's president on June 17.
- He received 54% of the vote in a run-off election.
- His running mate, Marta Lucia Ramirez, will become Colombia's first female vice-president.
6. Dr Inder Jit Singh assumes charge as Secretary, Ministry of Coal:-
- Dr Inder Jit Singh, assumed charge as Secretary, Ministry of Coal on June 14, 2018.
- He took over the charge of Secretary which fell vacant after superannuation of Shri Susheel Kumar on April 30, 2018.
- In the interim, Secretary Mines, Shri Anil G Mukhim had been holding additional charge as Secretary, Coal.
7. International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict observed:-
- The third annual International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict was observed across the world on June 19, 2018.
The International Day was commemorated with a panel discussion at the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
The event included reflections on how the lessons of history can be applied to contemporary conflict and post-conflict societies, in which women and children released from violent extremist groups struggle to reintegrate into their respective families and communities.
The event also considered strategies such as enlisting religious and traditional leaders to help change harmful social norms and dispel the perception that these women and children were involved in the crimes committed by their captors.
8. World Bank approves 700 mn dollar to improve primary education in Bangladesh:-
- The World Bank has approved $700 million to improve the primary education sector in Bangladesh.
- It will also finance implementation of the government's Fourth Primary Education Development Program (PEDP4).
- This project will build about 95,000 classrooms, teachers' rooms, and multipurpose rooms.
- It will also build 80,000 Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) blocks and 15,000 safe water sources.
- The projects will provide recruitment to about 100,000 teachers.
9. China unveils 4 point vision for future cooperation with India:-
- Chinese envoy to India Luo Zhaohui unveiled a four-point vision for future cooperation with India.
- This is followed by the informal summit between PM Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- The four-point vision is:
- 1) Sign a Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation
- 2) Negotiate a bilateral Free Trade Agreement
- 3) Enhance connectivity
- 4) Work for early harvest on boundary issues.
10. Legendary mimicry artist Nerella Venumadhav passes away:-
- Mimicry artist Nerella Venumadhav passed away on June 19, 2018, following a brief illness at his home in Mattewada in Warangal city. He was 85.
- He gained international fame after his enthralling performance at the United Nations.
- He began mimicry at the age of 15 and has mastered the art over the years and inspired scores of people to take up the art form.
- He was instrumental in the introduction of a course in mimicry in several institutions including the Telugu University.
- Venumadhav was recently felicitated by the Telangana government on State formation day on June 2, 2018.
- In 2001, he was conferred with the Padma Shri award.