Current Affairs of 19 August 2018 following as:-
1. Infosys CFO Ranganath stepped down from his position:-
- M.D.Ranganath has resigned his position as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and a key managerial personnel from Infosys.
- His resignation cited that he plans to pursue professional opportunities in new areas.
- He will continue as CFO till November 16, 2018. He has been working at Infosys for a span of 18 years and as CFO in the last 3 three years. He has played a pivotal role in the growth and success of Infosys.
2. New Delhi to host shooting World Cup in 2020:-
- New Delhi has been granted hosting rights of the Combined ISSF (International Shooting Sports Federation) World Cup, to be held before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- India is scheduled to host the World Cup next year from February 20 to 28, which will offer Olympic quota places for Tokyo.
3. World Humanitarian Day 2018 observed globally:-
- The World Humanitarian Day was observed across the world on August 19, 2018, to pay tribute to workers who risk their lives in humanitarian services and to gather support for people affected by crises around the world.
- The 2018 World Humanitarian Day aims to draw attention towards the millions of civilians affected by armed conflict every day. Millions of innocent civilians are forced to flee or hide due to conflicts and wars around the world.
4. Sunil Chhetri named Best Sportsperson of India by Calcutta Sports Journalists' Club:-
- India football team captain Sunil Chhetri, 34-year-old, is currently taking part in Bengaluru FC's pre-season training in Spain.
- Special awards would also be given to Hima Das for winning the 400m gold in the under-20 world championship and to Dipa Karmakar for finishing on top on her comeback event in Turkey.
5. Vaishali R becomes India's latest Woman Grandmaster:-
- The sister of R Praggnanandhaa, Vaishali R (17-year-old), became India's latest Woman Grandmaster (WGM) after earning her third and final WGM norm at Riga Technical University Open at Latvia.
- She is the highest ranked chess player in India in her age category.
- Recently, Praggnanandhaa became the world's second youngest Grandmaster of all time. Vijayalakshmi Subbaraman was India's first WGM, a title she achieved in 2001.
6. Saudi to introduce free nap pods to the pilgrims of Hajj:-
- Saudi Arabia successfully tested nap-pods. The nap-pods will be provided free of cost.
- The free nap pods will be rolled out in Saudi Arabia as a measure to modernize the centuries-old practice of Hajj.
- It aims at providing a place to rest for the pilgrims who cannot afford to book hotels on site during Hajj.
- The pod is made up of fiberglass pod. It is of 3m long and 1m in height. It is also provided with a mattress, clean sheets, air conditioning and a large, well-lit mirror. To reduce space, it can be lined up horizontally or stacked vertically.
- The government has also introduced apps for on-the-spot translation and emergency medical care.
7. Indian Army to climb world's fifth highest peak Mt Makalu:-
- To achieve greater heights in the field of mountaineering, Indian Army is planning to attempt fifth highest mountain peak in the world - Mt Makalu(8,485 meters) in 2019.
- Under the protection of Army Adventure Wing, an expedition to Mount Kamet (7756 meters), Joshimath (district Chamoli, Uttarakhand), is also being conducted from August to September.
- Mount Kamet is the third highest peak of India after Kanchanjunga and Nandadevi and the only highest peak available to climb within the country.