Current Affairs of 18 December 2018 are as follows:-
1. India’s largest cancer institute ‘National Cancer Institute’ launched:-
- India’s largest cancer hospital, National Cancer Institute (NCI) began the trial run of its Outpatient Department on December 18, 2018.
- Located in Jhajjar District, NCI is a project under AIIMS, Delhi.
- It will be headed by Dr GK Rath who is also the chief of Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital at AIIMS.
- It will be the nodal institution for all cancer-related activities in India.
2. Global telecom to set up a research centre in Bengaluru:-
- Global telecom, British Telecommunications giant, said it plans to set up a research centre in Bengaluru in partnership with the Indian Institute of Science.
- The British Telecom Indian Research Centre will focus on the development of artificial intelligence, mobility and cyber-security technologies for use in the company’s programmes, products, and services.
- The India centre’s structure and organization will follow a model used for the British firm’s global research locations, combining academic, industry and government partnerships.
- It will join BT’s network of collaborative research facilities in China, Northern Ireland, the UAE, and the US.
3. TN CM inaugurated 35 civic projects:-
- Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister Edappadi K.Palaniswami inaugurated Chennai Corporation’s 35 civic projects various parts of the city. The projects were implemented at a cost of Rs.22 crore.
- The projects include parks, decentralized solid waste management projects, mobile diagnostic units, garbage clearing equipment, new box culverts for flood mitigation and facilities for persons with disability.
4. Bhupesh Baghel Sworn in as Chhattisgarh third Chief Minister:-
- Congress leader Bhupesh Baghel Sworn in as third Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh, at an indoor stadium Raipur, Capital of Chhattisgarh. The Swearing-in Ceremony is administered by Governor Anandiben Patel. Bhupesh Baghel Succeeds Raman Singh, who was the Chief Minister of Chhatisgarh from 2003 to 2018.
- Two senior Congress leaders T.S. Singhdeo and Tamradwaj Sahu also sworn in as cabinet ministers.
5. NITI Aayog Organises the Third Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards:-
- National Institution for Transforming India( NITI AAYOG) organized the 3rd edition of the Women Transforming India Awards 2018 and launch the upgraded portal of the Women Entrepreneurship Platform 2.0.
- The Vice President of India M.Venkaiah Naidu was the chief guest of the event where he presented the awards and launched the portal.
- The theme of this year is ‘Women and Entrepreneurship’. 15 winners have been chosen through an extensive six-month-long process.
- The primary objective of Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) is to promote and support both established and aspiring Indian women entrepreneurs.
6. Telecom ministry announced that 5G services likely to be rolled out by August 2019:-
- Department of Telecommunication (DoT) said it expects to complete processes for 5G spectrum auction by August 2019 and the services will be rolled out by 2020.
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommended an auction of about 8,644 MHz of telecom frequencies at an estimated total base price of Rs 4.9 lakh crore, which includes radio waves for 5G services.
- The rollout of 5G services in India will have an impact of USD 1 trillion on the economy.
7. Star India chairman Uday Shankar elected Vice President of FICCI:-
- Uday Shankar is the first ever Indian media and entertainment executive to assume the leadership position in a national industry chamber - The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
- Shankar entered media as a political journalist with The Times of India and rose to become the CEO and editor of 'Star News'.
- He spearheaded the launch of 24-hour Hindi news channel 'Aaj Tak' in 2000, and 'Headlines Today' in English in 2003, as editor and news director of 'TV Today' Group.
8. Advocate Madhavi Divan appointed Additional Solicitor General in Supreme Court:-
- With her appointment, Divan becomes only the third woman to become an ASG (Additional Solicitor General) in the Supreme Court.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment and Divan will hold office till June 30, 2020.
- Senior advocate Indira Jaising was the first woman to be appointed as the ASG, while the second one was Pinky Anand, who still holds the post.