Current Affairs of 18 August 2018 are described as:-
1. Imran Khan elected as 22nd Prime Minister Of Pakistan, take oath on 18th August:-
- Imran Khan, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman and former cricketer, was sworn in as the 22nd Prime Minister of Pakistan on August 18, 2018.
- The oath-taking ceremony was administered by President Mamnoon Hussain at the President House in Islamabad.
- Khan’s PTI party had won the general elections conducted in the nation in July 2018.
- However, his party had fallen short of getting the full majority but it managed to scrape through a simple majority in the Pakistan parliament's confidence vote, which was conducted on August 17.
- Khan secured 176 votes, just four more than the needed 172 for a majority, beating Shehbaz Sharif, president of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party, who got 96.
2. India improved to World No 96 in FIFA rankings:-
- India’s improvement in the ranking list is seen after the introduction of a new ranking system called ELO by FIFA.
- The Top five positions in the latest Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA) rankings.
3. Eleventh World Hindi Conference Underway In Mauritius:-
- After the inauguration session, a condolence meeting will be held in the memory of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- In the afternoon sessions, delegates from 20 countries including India will deliberate on eight sub-topics related to "Hindi World and Indian Culture".
4. Indian Army to climb world's fifth highest peak Mt Makalu:-
- To achieve greater heights in the field of mountaineering, Indian Army is planning to attempt fifth highest mountain peak in the world - Mt Makalu(8,485 meters) in 2019.
- Under the protection of Army Adventure Wing, an expedition to Mount Kamet (7756 meters), Joshimath (district Chamoli, Uttarakhand), is also being conducted from August to September.
- Mount Kamet is the third highest peak of India after Kanchanjunga and Nandadevi and the only highest peak available to climb within the country.
5. 18th edition of Asian Games to begin in Jakarta, Indonesia:-
- The 18th edition of Asian Games is scheduled to be held in Jakarta, Indonesia from August 18 to September 2, 2018. The opening ceremony will begin at 5:30 pm Indian time, with most of the events scheduled to commence from August 19.
- The games will take place simultaneously in Jakarta, capital of Indonesia and Palembang, capital of the province of South Sumatra, so as to accommodate all branches of sports.
6. Microsoft and Apollo Hospitals builds AI to predict CVD risk:-
- Microsoft India and Apollo Hospitals together have built an Artificial Intelligence powered CardioVascular Disease (CVD) risk score Application Program Interface (API).
- The API is built on Microsoft’s cloud computing platform Azure. It is the first of its kind in India. It has been designed to predict the risk of CVD in the Indian population.
- The aim is to prevent heart disease, save lives. It is expected that AI can augment human ingenuity. It would also enable doctors across the Apollo network of hospitals to drive preventive cardiac care across the country.
7. Government dismisses Allahabad Bank CEO Usha Ananthasubramanian from service:-
- The Union Government dismissed Usha Ananthasubramanian, former CEO/ MD of Allahabad Bank and scam hit Punjab National Bank (PNB), from service.
- Though the Allahabad Bank had divested Ananthasubramanian of all her powers as MD three months back, after she was named in the CBI charge-sheet in the Rs 14,000 crore PNB fraud case, she had continued to be an employee of the bank.
8. Ministry Of Agriculture Proposes To UNFAO To Declare 2019 as International Year Of Millets:-
- The adoption of this proposal by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (UNFAO)with the support of its Member Nations will enable it to be moved to the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) for the declaration of an upcoming year as International Year of Millets.