Current Affairs of May 18, 2018, are as follows:-
1. BS Yeddyurappa Takes Oath As CM Of Karnataka:-
- The Supreme Court refused to stay BJP leader B S Yeddyurappa's swearing-in as Karnataka Chief Minister, paving the way for the formation of his government.
- He took the oath as the new Chief Minister of Karnataka.
- After hearing the matter for more than three hours beginning, a three-judge bench of Apex court, comprising justices A K Sikri, S A Bobde and Ashok Bhushan, directed that the letter sent by the BJP to the governor for forming the government be placed before it.
- The Governor has given the party 15 days of time to prove its majority in the legislative assembly.
2. Suresh Prabhu launches Intellectual Property mascot ‘IP Nani’:-
- Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Suresh Prabhu on May 17, 2018, launched the Intellectual Property (IP) mascot ‘IP Nani’.
- The mascot was launched during the conference on National Intellectual Property Rights Policy in New Delhi.
- On the same occasion, an anti-piracy video featuring Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan was also launched.
- Considering that Intellectual Property Rights (lPRs) are increasingly becoming crucial drivers of social and economic growth, the Union Cabinet approved the National IPR Policy on May 12, 2016.
- The first and foremost objective of the Policy is “IPR Awareness: Outreach and Promotion”, aimed at raising awareness on IPR for school children to nurture creativity and the ability to innovate from a young age.
3. Anindita Honoured With Jayadev Rashtriya Yuva Puraskar Award:-
- US-based Kathak dancer Anindita Anaam was honored with the prestigious 'Shri Jayadev Rashtriya Yuva Pratibha Puraskar 2018' for outstanding contribution to the field of art.
- The award was presented to the Kathak exponent during the 'Jayadev International Dance Festival' in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The four-day festival has been organized under the aegis of Odisha's culture department and National Culture Mission.
4. Union Cabinet approves National Policy on Biofuels 2018:-
- The Union Cabinet on May 16, 2018, approved the National Policy on Biofuels 2018.
- The policy categorizes biofuels into different groups such as First Generation, Second Generation, and Third Generation to enable the extension of appropriate financial and fiscal incentives under each category.
- The Policy expands the scope of raw material for ethanol production by allowing the use of products that are unfit for human consumption for ethanol production these are Sugarcane Juice and Sugar-containing materials like Sugar Beet, Sweet Sorghum.
- Considering that farmers are at a risk of not getting appropriate price for their produce, the Policy allows the use of surplus food grains for production of ethanol for blending with petrol, with the approval of National Biofuel Coordination Committee.
5. YES Bank Launches Agenda 2525:-
- YES Bank and YES Global Institute have launched Agenda 25×25, which pledges to create a synergetic startup environment for budding women entrepreneurs in India.
- The effort would ensure that by 2025 at least 25% of all entrepreneurs in India are women.
- The bank made the announcement at the YES Bank – YES Global Institute Annual Startup Conclave hosted in partnership with NITI Aayog, Invest India, Startup India and Atal Innovation Mission.
- The study outlines Agenda 25×25 and the need to build a 10 Step Developmental Model focused on empowering women innovators.
6. Mark Tully To Get Red Ink Award:-
- Senior journalist Mark Tully will be honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Red Ink Awards in Mumbai.
- Tully worked with the BBC for three decades and was the broadcaster’s Chief of Bureau for Delhi for 20 years.
Tully was a front-running reporter for all major news breaks in South Asia like the Indo-Pakistan wars, the Bhopal gas tragedy, Operation Blue Star, assassination of Indira Gandhi and anti-Sikh riots.
Faye D’Souza, the Executive Editor of Mirror Now, will also be given the Journalist of the Year Award at the function.
7. Susheela Jayapal became first South Asian To Be Elected In Oregon:-
- Indian American Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal’s sister Susheela Jayapal became the first South Asian to be elected in Oregon in the western US State.
- She won the District 2 seat on the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners with 57% of the vote.
- She will represent North and Northeast Portland commissioner’s seat. Susheela, a former corporate lawyer, and longtime community volunteer defeated construction contractor Sharon Maxwell and two others.
8. Swacch Surveskshan 2018: Indore, Bhopal & Chandigarh are Top 3 cleanest cities of India:-
- Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs, Hardeep Puri on May 16, 2018, released the results of the Swacch Surveskshan 2018. Indore has emerged as the cleanest city again in India for the second year in a row.
- Indore and Bhopal have managed to retain their positions as the top 2 cleanest cities, as that of the previous year.
- Chandigarh was ranked as the third cleanest city, moving up from Rank 11 in 2017.
- Uttar Pradesh’s Ghaziabad was named as the fastest moving big city of the Swachh Survekshan 2018, moving up to Rank 36 from the previous 351 in 2017.
- Jharkhand was declared as the best-performing state, followed by Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh.
- The Swachh Survekshan 2018 was organized by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) under the aegis of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) with an aim to estimate levels of cleanliness across cities in the country.
9. Lewis Hamilton Wins Spanish Grand Prix:-
- Lewis Hamilton (of Mercedes) won for the second race in succession by dominating an eventful Spanish Grand Prix 2018.
- Valtteri Bottas of Mercedes stood second in the race. Sebastian Vettel finished fourth in the event.
10. Department of Commerce notifies creation of Directorate General of Trade Remedies:-
- The Department of Commerce on May 17, 2018, issued notification for creation of the Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR) in the Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- The approval for the creation of DGTR was given by Union Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu following the amendment carried out by the Union Government to the Government of India (Allocation of Business) Rules, 1961 on May 7, 2018, in this regard.
- The office of DGTR has been created with an aim to dispose-off the cases related to unfair trade practices and to provide a level playing field to the domestic industry.