Current Affairs of 17 August 2018 are following as:-
1. Pakistan pays tribute to Atal Bihari Vajpayee hailing him as 'statesman':-
- Pakistan paid tribute to former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee hailing him as a 'statesman' after he passed away.
- Pakistan's Foreign Office spokesperson said that Vajpayee was a renowned statesman who contributed to bringing a change in India-Pakistan relations and remained a key supporter of SAARC and regional cooperation for development.
- He said that the government and people of Pakistan extend their heartfelt condolences to Vajpayee's family and to the government and people of India.
2. Ibrahim Boubacar Keita reelected as Mali president:-
- Keita won with 67 percent of the vote in a runoff against opposition candidate Soumaila Cisse.
- Keita, who is 73, will take office on September 4. His immediate challenges include strengthening a 2015 peace accord between the government, its allies, and former Tuareg rebels.
3. Twenty fourth World Congress of Philosophy held in Beijing, China:-
- The event was organized by the International Federation of Philosophical Societies and Peking University. The theme of the event “Learning To Be Human”
- More than 6,000 philosophers and academics from 121 countries and regions attended the event.
4. World's oldest cheese discovered from Egyptian Tomb: Researchers:-
- The world's oldest cheese was recently discovered inside an Egyptian tomb. The tomb of Ptahmes, who was the mayor of Memphis in Egypt during the 13th century BC, was initially unearthed in 1885.
- After being lost under drifting sand, it was rediscovered in 2010 and archeologists found broken jars at the site a few years later.
- One of the jars contained a solidified whitish mass, as well as canvas fabric that might have covered the jar or been used to preserve its contents.
- After dissolving the sample, the researchers purified its protein constituents and analyzed them with liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry.
5. Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) Launches VOIP Based WINGS Service:-
- The WINGS service offers unlimited free audio/video calling for one year. The service can be activated using BSNL WINGS a VOIP and with a one-time fee of Rs. 1,099 (Rs 1,297 with GST).
6. Ashok Leyland unveiled Innoline, its new technology:-
- Ashok Leyland, the Hinduja Group’s flagship company, introduced Innoline technology. Innoline is a BS IV engine driven by an in-line fuel pump.
- This technology is a combination of the indigenous mechanical pump for BS III engines with iEGR (Intelligent Exhaust Gas Recirculation) technology.
- iGER is a renowned technology with the in-line pump or SADA pump. This in-line pump is well-known in the Indian commercial vehicle industry and is preferred by drivers and service mechanics alike, Ashok Leyland said in a statement.
7. West Bengal Government removed family income ceiling for Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme:-
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee lifted the ceiling on annual family income for the beneficiaries of her government’s flagship women welfare scheme ‘Kanyashree’ that aims to ensure girls stay in school and delay their marriages till at least the age of 18.
- Kanyashree was launched on October 1, 2013, to prevent the early marriage of girl children from socio-economically disadvantaged families whose annual income is Rs 1,20,000 or less.
- This Scheme received the United Nations Public Service Award last year.
8. Delhi vehicles to get the blue sticker for petrol and orange for diesel:-
- For better tackling of air pollution-related issues in the Delhi, Supreme Court has approved the central government's proposal to use hologram-based color-coded stickers for vehicles in Delhi based on the fuel used.
- The vehicles that run on petrol and CNG will have light blue stickers, while the diesel vehicles will have orange stickers. The scheme is based on a model used in Paris.